Optimus 8R & others, do all Optimus have a 5mm diameter needle shaft where the packing goes?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Chaski, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Chaski United States

Optimus 8R & others, do all Optimus stoves have a 5mm diameter needle shaft where the packing goes?

I don't really know squat about the stoves, but I punched out some 8mm OD 5mm ID compressible graphite packing rings and are curious about what else they might fit. So far I have my 8R running them, and a buddies 111B. Anyone know how universal the 5mm diameter needle was on the Optimus stoves?

Thanks for your time.

IMG_0477.jpg

2. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

To my knowledge most all of the regulating/self cleaning burners use that size. 123R would be the other common one in the states. The older, non self cleaning gasoline burners such as the 8, the 123, 71 etc... used smaller control shafts, the packing box is so small that graphite ribbon or string is a better fit. Or at least nobody makes prefamulated packing for them (anymore?)

3. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

Out of curiosity I went through my spares knowing I had 2 other sizes of graphite packing on hand.
    The packing for Coleman Quicklite lamps and lanterns (unknown if these fit any earlier lamps, lanterns, irons, stoves or heaters) is about 3/16 ID and about 5/16 OD
    The packing which covers most instant-lite Coleman lanterns and stoves is 3/8 OD and 1/4 ID

4. Chaski United States

Excellent - thanks for looking at your stash of packing!

5. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

@Chaski Welcome to CCS! We don't get to talk to many folks from Etna.

....Arch