Optimus 99 clone: can’t remove burner assy. from tank

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by DesertOkami, May 22, 2021.

1. DesertOkami United States

Hi all,

I found this Optimus 99 clone with who knows what kind of fuel and gunk in the tank. I’m trying to do a full tear down but the darn burner assembly won’t come loose! I have a 10mm flange wrench and a torch and all I’ve managed to do is chew up the corners on that nut! Am I missing something here? Had the threads soaking in wd-40 the night prior too.

Or maybe do you fellas have some advise on cleaning the tank while keeping the wick in place?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

2. CW

CW United States Subscriber

Kroil Penetrating oil or something similar. Soak it for at least a few days, ive had stoves i had to let sit for weeks before it gave up and let loose. Let the oil do its thing.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @DesertOkami

Welcome to CCS.

First, apply some heat to the join with the tank (put water in the tank first). Then apply penetrating oil (not WD-40; eg as @CW says, Kroil) to the thread.

In the post below, I had to file flat edges to a burred nut; then put a spanner in a vise; then unscrew the tank from the nut:

Fettling an Optimus 99 (and fixing a wick problem)

Cheers

Tony

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Or …

E14C54CC-BEF1-4EFB-8FA2-72F4F413870A.jpeg

85FA64C8-C7A3-4603-AF62-F8794938E698.jpeg

85ADB55B-D1E7-4823-B5F8-36DD92DB8C84.jpeg

5. Tony Press

:thumbup:

Cheers

Tony

6. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Be careful. In my ignorance I twisted off the fuel tube on a 8R. On another one I chewed up the “nut” where it goes into the tank. Although I filed flats back on it, I still use a vicegrip to remove. I think I learned my lesson and now do a multi day soak with penetrating oil. Brad

7. DesertOkami United States

All,

Thanks for the responses! I have Kroil on order, so I'll do that and soak. I have pips on order for the SRV. The screw on the SRV came loose after a soak in acetone, but I've found the spring to be rusted. Going to a hardware store to try to find a match.

At my first run, it had a weak flame, with some leakage through the on/off valve. I'll replace the packing when I get it friday. But since messing the SRV, the rusty spring and hard pip don't hold any pressure.

I was thinking my next steps should be to remove and replace the spring/pip/packing and attempt to run it before trying to continue with burner assy removal.

In your experience is the buildup in the tank an issue with this kind of stove? Can/Should I try to remove buildup with the burner assy/wick still in place?

8. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

If you suspect car gas, I would remove the wick and replace. Then many soaks with acetone and even do the BB dance to loosen and remove crud. Brad

9. DesertOkami United States

I'm not sure what it was, but it smelled foul. Definitely not white gas or kerosene. I drive a Jeep so i'm at the pump all the time, and i haven't noticed unleaded smell like whatever was in there.

I have dumb question. Has anyone had any luck replacing a wick without removing the vaporizer from the tank? I mean I have the kroil coming my way and I can retry using heat, but I also want to think about what to do should those next steps result in failure.

10. Tony Press

I’ve never tried, or heard of, replacing the wick with the burner attached to the tank.

Tony