Optimus 99 fuel

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Milan, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Milan Canada

Hello out there,

I have an Optimus 99 that was purchased around 1980 +/-. I used it on a bicycle tour through Europe in 1982 and seem to remember buying fuel just at the pumps at petrol stations. So just to confirm and be sure, can I in fact use regular automobile gasoline in the stove. Am currently thinking about a bicycle tour in southern Chile and Argentina one year from now and wondering about bringing the stove but have heard that white gas is difficult to find there. Any thoughts? Thanks

Milan

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Milan
    The additives in pump gasoline give stove burners a hard life. The lower the octane, the less the octane-enhancing additives, so you might get away with it. Seems like you already have, with your ‘82 tour!

@Tony Press
    You’ve been to Chile in the recent past Tony. Thoughts on this topic?

John

3. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Welcome @Milan.

It is generally accepted that the additives in pump fuel will eventually clog the stove, and you will also be producing your own micro climate of the highstreet. Neither are recommended.

Choose a stove that you know you'll have ready access to safe and healthy fuel. 8r by all means as backup but other members will also suggest alternatives you may consider.

Edit, crossed with John.

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    I saw “white gas” in an old hardware store in Punta Arenas, and also in a camping gear store in Puerto Natales.

Through much of South America white gas is “solvente bencina”.

Cheers

Tony

Note: edited my response.

5. Milan Canada

Thanks folks,
    Sounds like I did ‘get away’ with something although perhaps I only used gas minimally when caught off guard, I don’t really remember. Anyways I will definitely not do it again. Will do some more research and bring an appropriate stove. Thanks again.

6. itchy

@Milan
    I'd probably be less worried about burning a little gasoline than just traveling with a gasoline stove via air. I'm assuming you'll fly down. Some airline folks are fussy about this issue and the enforcement of what rules do exist seem to be somewhat arbitrary.

7. Milan Canada

Yes, I’ll have to look into that since I can well imagine that even if I told them it was empty they may not allow it. Will do some checking.

8. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Welcome to CCS @Milan .

Check with your airline, some have a specific policy and procedure for traveling with liquid fuel stoves.
    Here is the Qantus procedure as a reference. Dangerous goods recreational, sporting and petrol powered equipment | Qantas

Another member discussing airline travel removed and discarded the wick from the stove (if it has one) as part of his pre flight cleaning procedure. Carried several new replacements wicks on the trip.