Optimus 99

Discussion in 'Optimus No:99' started by geeves, Feb 21, 2013.

1. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

First I want to thank the 3 other members here that took an interest in this auction but then let me win. In the end I was bidding against someone that doesnt appear to be a stovie yet.
    Advertised as "old meths cooker" with the description "I NO NOTHING ABOUT IT DON,T NO IF IT STILL WORKS.. THAT,S WHY $1 RESERVE "
    I didnt capitalise that its a cut and paste from trademe
    $35 NZ won the auction plus another 7 bucks to have posted half full of fuel which as a pleasant surprise was white spirit not meths.
    It arrived safely a quick once over and a tighten of the spindly nut fill the priming dish and 15 minutes after the package was opened it had a litre of water boiling.

1361429854-IMG_0516.JPG

Compulsory flame shot
    Ok it needs a clean the pot stands are a little loose the key needs panel beating and the cap washer is a little hard but at the price Im happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Congrats, looks like a good-un !

Darn good price too.

3. theyellowdog

You got it for a song, well done. I saw it but you can't buy everything.

4. geeves

The only annoying part of this was that I have a saved search for optimus as Im looking for a burner bell and top to complete a 123r that I picked up recently and this auction didnt get picked by that search. With a borrowed burner that 123r is a performer. Put it in a sigg tourist clone set and the whole bell turned red and it out ran my other 123r by a country mile. Only thing was a total lack of the 123 chuffing

5. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

You got a great deal from what I can figure out!!
    ATB!

6. bikamper

Like mine, it's got a few miles on it but mine should look as nice. Good score.

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

The 99's are taking off like the 199's were doing. I have other priorities than getting a 99 unless I can find one cheap. Getting luggage etc. for my motorcycle and tools, new backpacking gear, so stoves are on the back burner.
    Duane

8. Chef BC

Congrats geeves. Yours looks like it was used to drive tent stakes. :doh: but it seems to burn well. If that stove could talk, think of the stories it could tell. ;) I got mine from a widow who was selling off her husband's mountaineering kit. Too bad she did not know all of the stories he had experienced.

9. rik_uk3

Great stoves and yours is working well whilst demonstrating some 'character', no need to change it and long may it go on as it is :)

10. geeves

"Yours looks like it was used to drive tent stakes"

actually under the grime its not bad although the pot stands might of done double duty as tent stakes. Its got less dents than my 4wd.
    A bit of polish and it would look new but more likely it will just get the burner assemby taken out and the rest thrown in the dishwasher.

11. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

Good score! Happy to see it running. I got a sweet one about 8 months ago from a seller on Craigslist. I don't remember the price, but Da Missus told me I spent $45 on it what with postage and all. I have to believe her as she's the boss. I've never been all that fond of the 99 and the 8R, but that's just me, lots of people love 'em. My heart belongs to the 123.

If I had to forego the 123 and the Sigg tourist, I think I'd likely develop a relationship with the Coleman 400. I've got a Sigg Tourist for it as well.

Gerry

12. cazna

Nice Geeves, I didnt see that one, Not that i look to hard, The stove budjets died off now, Lucky i got what i did when i could, Well done on your new stove.