Optimus 99

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by 8R Pete, Jan 10, 2019.

1. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

So after bidding on and coming up short I finally got an Optimus 99 on the bay. It was somewhat complete and it came yesterday. I opened the tank and filled it with Coleman fuel. I put some denatured alcohol in the priming cup and it warmed up. Opening up the valve, it lit then went out. I looked at the jet and could see the needle rise and go down when I turned the valve. I tried it again then the same thing. I could not figure why it kept going out after I slightly turned the valve.

Taking off the burner bell and taking out the jet I could see fuel when I opened the valve. I put the jet back in and tightened it. I got a small flame and as soon as you turn the valve it blew out. I looked at the burner bell and didn't see the flame spreader. It was not on the floor either. Looking at pictures on eBay of the purchase, it appears it didn't come with it. I took the spreader off of a Svea 123 stove and the stove works with the spreader in place.

My question- as the flame spreader appears almost non existent, where can I get one? I see parts for an Optimus Hiker stove and it has the flame spreader but will that fit? How many flame spreaders are interchangeable with the 99? I know my Svea 123 fits but is anything else easily available?

Optimus 99.jpg

2. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

3. 8R Pete

Thank You Harder I looked at that item on E bay-Never ordered stuff from Korea before. I was wondering about the Optimus Nova as parts look the same.

4. 8R Pete

One thing I'm seeing is the stove wont work without the spreader plate will it? I see several Svea 123's on the bay where there is no plate either.

5. Ed Winskill United States

It won't.

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I am sorry to hear you got a 99 without the flame spreader.
    There are several burner bells that will work. I have used Enders burners on Optimus, Svea, and Radius stoves. There are several sizes of threads, some work on some, some work on others.
    Good luck in your search.

7. 8R Pete

I see a parts kit-sold in the US on the bay that has 2 spreader plates so bought that. It says fits the Nova Nova + and hiker/hunter-isn't the 8R called the hunter?

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    No spreader/no work: look through the Gallery...

You can get the correct spreader also from Fogas.se and The Base Camp (UK).

Tony

Edit: crosssed with Peter.

9. 8R Pete

Just thought-My MSR stove parts might have a spreader or 2 in there that is from a GK stove.

10. 8R Pete

Found 2 spreader plates in my MSR XGK maintenance bag that was in my camping equipment tote. I think they will work.

11. bbsteinle

bbsteinle United States Subscriber

I’ve bought two items from the Korean seller and was very happy with the purchases. He has some very nice stuff.

Basil

12. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

if you are handy with a hacksaw and a file, you can always make a replacement if you are stuck?
    You can dome the flame spreader on a trailer ball-hitch, works great :thumbup: ;)

Alec.

13. Sveaphile United States

14. 8R Pete

Appreciate all the help-I have several MSR maintenance kits with that flame spreader in them. I have 5 total spreaders now.

15. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

I think the msr and nova spreaders will be the wrong size but the BRS8 spreaders available on ebay aliexpress etc are a near perfect fit. I tried one of these for someone else in the last few days and it worked near perfect. Of course if you want a true replica these have 3 legs so not the same but for a user you buy a dozen for less than 1 real one

16. 8R Pete

The MSR spreader is 2" from end to end-If I measured correctly spreader from my Svea is 1 1/2 " so this will fit can just bend down the ends.

17. 8R Pete

Geeves where are you seeing this on E bay and aliexpress? I see nothing unless I'm typing in the wrong thing.

18. 8R Pete

The part and shipping itself-Is it going to cost more due to custom charges? I don't want to have to spend over 20.00 for a part

19. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

20. Jim Lukowski United States

8R,

Try 'fire plate'. :) Below is a link to the BRS ones I just got. Free shipping if you buy only one, but not for more than one. At the bulk price for 5, the price per unit drops to $2.24. Note that these are not brass, and as previously noted, have three legs instead of four, so they don't have the class of the originals. I'd much rather have the real thing, but the last three stoves I got were missing the flame spreaders.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/fir...26-4d91-b8fb-a86a4e8efc06&transAbTest=ae803_3

Pictures of them in use are in this thread:
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/brs-12-brs-8-flame-spreader-question.39980/