Optimus 99's heat shields

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Daryl, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Daryl United States

Came across this Taiwan clone 99 on the right and it has flat alloy heat shield. Both my made in Sweden 99's have chrome heat 8R style shields . I see other made in Sweden 99's with flat alloy heat shield too. I did a search and found out the 99 did not have many changes during its run but this was one of them . Thought I would share this.
    100_6207.JPG 100_6205.JPG

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Are they all attached to the case bottom by a screw?
    Duane

3. Daryl United States

Yes, single screw holds burner in the case. Even has small indent to keep tank from resting on case when in very cold conditions. The 99's with chrome/nickle 8R style shield are the older ones. Read about them this morning some posts go back 15 yr I think the latest was 2015. Daryl
    100_6232.JPG

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

HI, @Daryl ,

if I may offer a small correction: The flat aluminum heatshield was the original design of the 99. Please look at this 1976 catalog to see the proof:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1976-optimus-catalogue.9220/

And, here's another look, from an early 1980's catalog:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1980s-early-optimus-catalogue.10747/

It wasn't until the 99 was on it's last legs, that Optimus began supplying them with the 8R type heat shield. Just thought you'd like to know. I have quite a few early 99's, and all of them have the flat, aluminum heatshield. I have only a few of the later types, with the 8R type of heatshield. Thanks for sharing your collection of these! Take care, and God Bless!

Doc

5. Daryl United States

@Doc Mark Thanks for the correction and sharing. Sorry I got it backwards. I do remember reading your posts from some 15 yrs back about the two type of heat shields. Until this week I did not know 99's came with two different shields. I just picked up this clone this past weekend and thought the flat shield was to cut costs. Did a little searching on this site a saw others with flat shields.
    Curved or flat both are great little stoves. Stay safe

6. Rif

This thread has reminded me I picked up a 99 not so long ago on a local online auction and I've yet to make time to test it.

I just lifted it up, turned it over and confirmed it has the bottom screw pictured above, on the bottom.

I think its missing the screws that hold, in my case, the aluminium heat shield (to the case and not the tank)