Optimus Campingo 2

Discussion in 'Optimus Campingo No:2 (laterly No:20)' started by Dutch_Peter, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Dutch_Peter

Long live the internet !! A kind seller listed this stove on the web for me to stumble over. I picked it up and took it home. It was already in working order as the seller took it out camping last year. I've treated a few rusty spots with raw linseed oil to prevent further corrosion.

This Campingo stove is quite heavy and bulky weighing around 5 kg and measuring 43 by 22 by 13 centimeter. I find it easier to set up than an Optimus 22, because the wind shield stands by itself upon the stove and the knobs/rods do not detach from the burners, so no assembling is needed before cooking. Looks to be ideally suited for car camping. As a drawback it does not have internal cleaning needles, so an external cleaning needle is needed. It will certainly see some action in the coming year :)
    The grill is made out of 1 piece of steel rod.

Looking at catalogues this stove can be dated beween 1933 (showing the model with earlier knobs) and 1939 (showing its successor, the Optimus 20).

1389219568-1_ready__Small_.JPG 1389219626-2_front_case_open__Small_.JPG 1389219639-3_front_case__Small_.JPG 1389219652-4_case_back__Small_.JPG 1389219670-5_logo__Small_.JPG 1389219680-6_burner_off__Small_.JPG 1389219700-7_tank_side__Small_.JPG 1389219737-8_pump_filler_cap__Small_.JPG 1389219754-9_size__Custom_.JPG 1389219779-10_left_burner_on__Small_.JPG 1389219795-11_right_burner_on__Small_.JPG 1389219816-12_IMG_0235__Small___1_.JPG 1389219834-13_IMG_0235__Small___2_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I cannot speak, my mouth is drooling!!
    Thank you for sharing this,
    Ken in NC

3. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Dutch_Peter, you are a lucky man! Stunningly beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Brad

4. Doron Papo

Doron Papo Subscriber

That is not fair :(
    I did not know there is a bigger one then the 22 carrying that type of burners.
    now I need to get one and find a good excuse for the wife.

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Dutch_Peter,

Outstanding find, my friend!! Those Campingo #2 stoves are outstanding in form and function. I, too, have one, and finally fettled it into action at a past CASG event, thanks to Stu's outstanding NRV wrenches! I'd tried to remove and rebuild the NRV for several years, failing completely to remove the stuck NRV. Stu's wrenches made it much easier, and I was really stoked to get this old stove up and running. Thanks for sharing your good fortune with us, and have fun with that great old stove! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Dutch Pete

I reckon you have got an Op 20, not a Campingo No 2. You appear to have a third generation carry tin.

The 1953 catalogue lists an Op 20, but unfortunately it appears only to be a second generation Op No 2.

If you have a look at Pete Sav's, and my No 2, all three share the same bakelite/plastic control knob, and the filler cap/SRV, which are from the 50's.

Petes and mine both have the second generation carry tin. Perhaps using old stock up.

Yours appears to be plated, nickel?

7. Dutch_Peter

Hello Ken, Brad and Doron,
    Thanks !!

Hello Doc,
    Thanks for your kind words! Stu's NRV tool is a great tool indeed, far better than the stock Primus/Optimus tool. It removed the NRV from all but one (ow yes :D ) stove that would not give in before. It would be good to check the seals of this stove, though it ain't broke yet :D :D ..

Hi Iani,
    The case says Campingo, based on that I'd say it's a Campingo. It's an interesting question though, because there does not seem to be an Optimus 20 listed in the ref gallery. A (quick) internet search for an Optimus 20 does not return results either ..
    The 1939 catalogue shows a different embossing on the case; the embossed logo seems to be painted as well, like http://www.dutchstovecollectors.nl/Branders/Detail-HTML/totaal/Pagina%20Optimus%20Campingo.htm ]this stove[/url] . I'm not sure about the tank filler cap. I think we need more information to be conclusive about the differences between a Campingo 2 and a 20. Until then I'll say that it's a Campingo, because that's embossed into the case :D :D

Thnx,
    Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I have a 1934 document that references the old Campingo 1 & 2. By 1935 the 1 & 2 had been superseded by the 10 & 20.

The 1935 catalogue (not on site yet) shows the 20 with the more shapely filler cap of the 2 & the word CAMPINGO across the lid. It also directly refers to the 20 formerly being the Campingo 2 & the 10 formerly the Campingo 1.

If the picture is accurate a 20 can still be a 'Campingo'

More research to be done!

9. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Peter

Take a look at Jans stove again, he has only got 2 air holes in the back plate - no extra holes on the side plates.
    He has another variant of the tin.

I notice you have got four depressions on the base of your tin (feet)

I still believe yours is a No 20, an historical item, and at this moment in time, very unique.

10. Dutch_Peter

You are correct about the holes and the feet.
    Should be concluded that it's an Optimus 20 Campingo?

11. Lampenkueche

Hello Peter and All,

its good to look here sometimes in, so I can say "You are not Alone". I have an Campingo from France, they where sold in the 30ths over the DBD Company in France. Still unrest here, no Time.

There are some Papers in my Collection about this Stove. First an Advert from DBD in Color and a Picture from a Camping-Ground around End of the 1930ths from a French Camping Book. Hope You like it.

Cheers Peter

1389550411-Optimus-Campingo-unrest_01_kl.jpg

12. Dutch_Peter

Hello Peter (Lampenkueche),

Thank you.
    Your Campingo seems to be an earlier version, judging by the filler cap and the larger knobs.

Peter

13. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Beautiful nickeled version stove Peter and at 5 kg (empty tank) certainly no light-weight. Assuming the roarer burners are the same size as those used on the 22/22b/11/111/etc she's a little underpowered given the size of the case and pot support area so it's no surprise they scaled down the case weight/dimensions in subsequent model replacements. Have you asked the previous owner about her history and where purchased? Perhaps that will provide more info in terms of tracking specific model version/dating you seek.

14. Dutch_Peter

Hi SMolson,
    Thnx :) I've asked the previous owner and he inherited the stove from his grandparents. He also said that it is from the 1930's. We spoke only briefly and unfortunately I forgot to ask how he knew; he may well have googled it. The information from iani and Spiritburner lean towards another direction and is more factual. I think that's a good reminder of the quality of the good folks here on CCS :D :D

Peter

15. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Hi Peter,

I hope you keep researching her and find a proper date. Perhaps even a photo from the previous owners showing it during a trip can help narrow the range down. I still have my sister-in law looking through boxes of my Grandfather's black/white photos + slides for a shot of him with his Primus 71 L.

16. Dutch_Peter

Hi Smolson,

That's quite a nice idea, to have a photo of the stove in use 50 years ago to go with a post here on CCS. That would really illustrate the living history of any classic stove. I'm a bit reluctant to ask the seller, because I don't know him personally and maybe he doesn't like me to put these photo's online.

For this stove I'll wait until more old Optimus catalogues (from the 30's, 40's and 50's) are posted. So if anyone has anything not posted yet :D :D

Peter

17. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Hi Peter,

It's always tricky asking for photos, walking a fine line there. Many either have no history of it (not the original owner anyway) or if they are they won't have any motivation to look through their photo collection for one, assuming they even have photos. If they had a personal attachment to the item chances are they would keep it and not sell or give her away. I love the history of these old stoves and attempt to gather and document what I can if it exists (+ going forward on my own stoves). Too bad so much is lost.

18. Boogy New Zealand

Hi nice stove, I just found one the same. Have another look at the grill as mine is made out of brass,yes brass,I had to look twice.