Optimus Campingo No.2

Discussion in 'Optimus Campingo No:2 (laterly No:20)' started by Admin, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Hi all

I came across this one on Ebay France. The seller didn't know what he had, I did a translation on his description, and basically he thought it beyond repair.
    It arrived last week, and I couldn't believe my good fortune.
    The tank is dent free, as is the flame guard. Burner 2, the left hand burner, was blocked up, so it was stripped, burner 1, the right hand burner, was ok.
    Pump leather replaced, pressure release valve pip replaced.
    Fuelled and fired up.
    The case needs a lot of restoration on it, heavily pitted on the back outside, inside the case is generally very good.

Pictures 1 - 7, are the condition it arrived in, and picture 10 is its present condition.

Cheers
    Ian

1268490551-IMG_2111_opt.jpg

1268490570-IMG_2112_opt.jpg 1268490589-IMG_2113_opt.jpg 1268490610-IMG_2114_opt.jpg 1268490634-IMG_2115_opt.jpg 1268490656-IMG_2116_opt.jpg 1268490683-IMG_2117_opt.jpg 1268490708-IMG_2118_opt.jpg 1268490732-IMG_2128_opt.jpg 1268490771-IMG_2221_opt_2_.jpg 1268490971-IMG_2218_opt.jpg

2. RonPH

Nice 2burner buddy. Looked like it just needed some TLC. Saved from being a scrap. Good job on the fettle.

Ron

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Ian, you certainly have an eye for a good stove. These Campingo stoves seem to be pretty rare in the UK, and perhaps in most of Europe as well.
    You have done well to get it working so well. Are the spirit cups meant to be that shape or have they been bent?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Hi Ron

Thanks for the kind words.

Kerophile - the spirit cup is the same as the CG1, now I have got the pidgeon pair.
    I will paint the CG2 the same colour as the CG1.

Regards
    Ian

5. threedots New Zealand

Hello iani.
    Great stoves are those.
    I currently have 3 in my shed. Two in very good original condition and an earlier one in parts. It needs the regulating spindle with the larger knob and the steel case is very rusty and tatty. I had to remove the old piece of spindle from the left(or right) burner using "Easy Outs". A delicate job but I got it out without causing any damage to the threads, luckily.
    The spirit dishes are the correct type.

I used to own seven Campingo 2's and three Campingo 1's.
    They come up for sale in New Zealand every now and then. Probally sent here in greater numbers when the European markets were offering later models of the Optimus 22's and 111's.
    Nice to see your one. Once cleaned up properly, it should give you years of trouble free use.
    Cheers.

6. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Hi Threedogs

There are two things that have been bugging me about this stove
    1) the burner spindle/handle - it looks too new
    2) pressure release valve is not the same style as the earlier 2's
    I was having a butchers at the catalogues earlier, namely the 1953 one below. What do you reckon it to be a No 20? The whole thing doesn't feel right to be an early campingo 2

Cheers
    Ian

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/121

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. threedots New Zealand

Hello iani.
    I see what you mean.

I've read somewhere that the earlier Campingos(1927ish) had square air vent holes in the case, then they were changed to the rectangular shape with the pyramid pointed ends in the 1930's.
    The control knobs changed as well from the original 4 lug type to a large red wheel then to a small red wheel.
    I have only had the 2 red wheel models(large and small) with the pyramid pointed vents in their cases.
    The earlier model with the large red wheels had the aeroplane type stubbie wings on the fuel cap with a regular type NRV safety valve fitted withen.
    The smaller wheeled model had the later shorter fuel caps with the safety valve pip wear indicator stub in the middle of the slot.
    Those were the main differences between the models as far as I know. Everything else remained the same except for the burners having a hole in the top of the redundant forward spindle vapour tube-in the later models. There are also variations with the burner alignment guides for when the stove is closed up into its case.
    I wonder if you are correct about the Campingos with the smaller red control wheels actually being Optimus 20's. Then why are they embossed with Campingo instead of Optimus 20, in line with the Optimus 111 in the same catalogue.
    I have never seen a model with Optimus 20 embossed in the case lid yet and I wonder if they are around.
    Maybe someone else can through some further light on this subject. Cheers, John