Optimus Campingo No:2

Discussion in 'Optimus Campingo No:2 (laterly No:20)' started by Stelllar, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Stelllar

1270147406-Optimus_Campingo.No.2.open.burners.750.pix.d.jpg 1270147423-Optimus_campingo._No.2.close2.f.jpg 1270147431-Optimus_Campingo.No.2.pricker.and.wrench.g.jpg 1270147417-Optimus_campingo._No.2.close.e.jpg 1270147381-Optimus_Campingo.No.2.case.closed.750.pix.a.jpg 1270147388-Optimus_campingo._No.2.top.lid.b.jpg 1270147395-Optimus_Campingo.No.2.open.750.pix.c.jpg 1270147439-Optimus_Campingo.No.2.flame2-500pix.h.jpg 1270147445-Optimus_campingo._No.2.teatime.i.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

My, thats a crusty one...
    Should polish up nice tho!!!

3. Big BTU

Big BTU Subscriber

I LIKE it! Tell me you got it for $5.00 :mrgreen: are you going to bring it back or just have it as a user?

4. Stelllar

Crusty it is and a new Stove Word for the day, I have just finished the case, hammered out the small dents and straightened the rest, painted with a dark green enamel, onward..... Cheers' Bob

5. Stelllar

Hi John, It was actually $2.50 Canadian, I selected a vintage woodworking block plane and this stove at the G-Sale, total cost was $5 for the pair, as for it's future, when I find stove that is this CRUSTY (thanks for the term bajabum ) I will do the whole 9 yards and bring it back, and it will be used. Cheers' Bob

6. itchy

A treasure indeed. Great find.

7. Knight84

What a find and price!!! :clap: :clap: :mrgreen:

I hope you enjoy fettling this one!

I can't wait to see it finished

Cheers,
    Jeff

8. Big BTU

Big BTU Subscriber

Even better!

9. Cypryphrenia

Respect Fella A. for picking it up at that price and B. for getting it going so quickly! I will like the others look forward to the finished fettle!

10. Stelllar

The stove had not been used for sometime, there was no order of gas or kerosene in the tank, I replace the filler cap gasket and oiled the pump leather, added some white gas and it lit right up, I was very surprised, after researching it on this fine site I found that it would burn kerosene as well, I drained the white gas and added kerosene and it worked just fine again, I am not usually this lucky.

From what I could find out, this vintage stove belonged to a 95 year old who was still managing to live by himself OK, he had lived for 60 years in the same house, a relative mentioned that he felt he would live forever and he gathered enough of everything to keep him supplied with materials, he was a woodworker, metalworker and all round do-it yourselfer, mind you there was a lot of ( Just in case) items the first few days of the sale were quite amazing, unfortunately the day before I arrived a huge garbage bin "20 feet long" had been hauled off to the dump and they were working on filling the second.
    Enough of my rambling......... Cheers' Bob

11. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Not rambling at all, Bob! Great to get a bit of history associated with a stove, what the fine antique dealers might call 'provenance'.

Thanks for the post. Brilliant.

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  12. Gordon F

I wonder what goodies got sent to the dump. So often the way sadly.

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, Bob, and All,

Outstanding, find, Sir!!! I take just as much pleasure in my fellow Stovies finding such things, in such a manner, as I do in finding them myself!! Well done, in all respects!! :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :D :D

Have you checked the NRV? In my own Campingo, the fuel cap gasket was made of leather, and crumbling away, I cannot remove the NRV, so far, but assume it is also made of leather. Oiling it did not work, however, and it will not hold pressure without the pump rod rising in a slow salute to the stove!! :? :frown: :roll: One day, I'll make a better and stronger wrench to remove it, or unsolder the entire pump assembly, as Exeter_yak has sent me all the goodies to do so, and repair it that way. Scares me to think of it..... but, I really DO need to make some progress on that stove. Way past time to get 'er done. :oops: :whistle: 8-[ :roll: :lol:

Again, very nice find on your Campingo, and I really look forward to seeing it all gussied up and looking fine!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. Stelllar

Hi Doc, Thanks for your interest, yes the NRV need's replacing (the pump rod slowly creeps out of the tank when the tank is pressurized ) I studied the very very fine tutorial Link that exeter_yak compiled for you on the Campingo No.2 for pump & tube & NRV removal, many questions answered, while I work on the stove the NRV is sitting in a little penetration oil and hopefully it will break free, I haven's tried yet as I still have to make up a removal tool, it really is an exciting task bring back this old timer, I'll post images as work progresses.
    All the best......
    Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015