optimus hiker jets and parts

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by happybrahma, Jan 21, 2014.

1. happybrahma

Looking for 111t parts. I have a few questions.

Are all the jets from the hiker (111, 111b, 111c, 111t, 111-7) interchangable, assuming you choose the right jet hole size for the stove and fuel that you plan to use?

Anybody have any luck drilling out smaller jets to get the desired size?

Are all the cleaning needles 0.25mm, regardless of the jet size, or was there more than one needle size produced for the 111 variants.

Do all the stoves use the same spindle?

Any idea if this kit is applicable to the 111t:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281234805018

-Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Hey Steve,

I don't have all your answers, but I'll try some:

1) I believe the jets are interchangeable (for kero/coleman fuel). The jet aperture for the Hiker (111 T) when running alcohol is different sized. All the 111 models did not use the 'Hiker' in their description. There are least the Hiker (111 T) and the Hiker+ (with Nova burner).

3) Depending on year made the internal needles were different. Some had 5 'teeth' newer ones have 6. Some early variants did not have internal needles (at least one of my nickel-plated 1950 111's didn't).

3b) No they used different spindles, even within the same model group. The later model Hikers used the thicker spindle/multitool that doubled as the NRV and jet removal tool with the thick blackknobbed handle. Earlier models of the Hiker used the maroon (or black) thick knob with thin spindle. 111's and 111b's often used the gear-shaped bakelight handles that came in green, white, blue, maroon, etc.

4) the kit does contain parts that will work with Hikers and the others id'ed.

3. happybrahma

I did not realize the term "hiker" was unique to the 111T. Thanks for the correction!

Ok, so the thin spindles require a separate tool for jet and NRV change. I assume this is the little wrench I see in many of the photos? Now I finally know why some of the stoves have the wrench, and others do not.

I suppose one could run without a cleaning needle if it was broken or missing, and just use a small wire to clean the jet? Or do stoves that have an internal cleaning needle require it be in place to function correctly?

4. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

As far as I know it was the 111 T that first used the 'Hiker' in her name. I'm no expert on that line of stoves though.

Yes the hole in that little tool was used for that, amongst other bolt tightening duties on the open end. That little tool also came in different variations, older ones had openings at both ends and no hole. Many were simply lost during use, that explains why many of the older ones don't have one.

No they don't need an internal needle to function correctly, but you'll then need a pricker and manually prick the jet periodically to remove debris and ensure proper fuel dispersal/output. The space between jet and top of burner may be tight for some prickers, so you'll have to test the ones you have to ensure it fits adequately (helps to have a short pricker on the end, not overly long). If your burner is designed to support an internal needle it's a good idea to get a replacement to avoid the manual part. Replacements can be had at Basecamp uk and other locations.

5. Dutch_Peter

Hello Steve,

1) The jets from all 22's, 22B's, 111's are interchangeable. I do not know if the jet from a Hiker+ or Nova burner is interchangeable.
    A jet from an 8R or 123 will fit and work too (I've done that :) ). The only difference between the different jets is the size of the jet opening; if you do a site search then you'll find the numbers :D

I've tried changing jets in a 111B and 111T and imho a kero jet, gasoline jet, multifuel jet or 123R jet works out fine, but other members may disagree. The jet opening of the alcohol jet is too large and gives yellow flames when running on kero or gasoline (too much fuel and not enough air in the mixture).
    You can change jets and see the results if you have some spare jets. Just remember to let the stove cool down first, because warm brass is flexible and you'll ruin the threads and thus the burner.

The tool from an 111T can be used to dismantle the stove. Earlier 111's and 111B's have the small wrench.

Peter

6. Odd

No, they don't. Entirely different burner design.

(And imho an inferior quality in manufacture, materials etc. compared to the genuine old "brass" versions.)