Optimus Hiker+

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Gavin Mulholland, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Gavin Mulholland

So I just received one of the new Optimus Hiker+ and it ran fine - once.

I had heard of some problems so flushed the tank before its first firing but now it appears to be blocked (hard to light, yellow only flame).

Is there an easy way to check that the clearing pin is working (it's a magnet on this one)?

Also, I have not deconstructed this stove so any help and/or advice would be very much appreciated.

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

You should be able to see the needle poking out. Can't recall, is this a silent burner? If it is, make sure the caps are in place correctly. I got a Optimus 10 and it's inner cap was cockeyed.
    Duane

3. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Unless i'm mistaken, your model is cleaned by a magnet.
    When you open/close the stove the burner passes over a magnet, this flicks the pricker up to clear the jet.
    I have one (for the set) but I plain just don't like it.

Now then, my two-penceworth (rant warning...):
    The tiny tampon-filter blocks easily, the pricker is ineffectual, its a lottery whether its a steel or brass tank and the o-ring pump isn't the most reliable. Not for me. :thumbdown:

The 111 peaked with the "plain" 111, the 111T is however also a fine stove. :thumbup:
    Due to my love of Naptha stoves I also like the 111B/11B (used with care).

Buy a service/repair kit from basecamp, flush/blow it through, try and get it running satisfactorily, polish it, put it on the shelf and use your 111 for the next 40 years instead ;)

Happy fettling, sorry for the negative waves :oops:
    Alec.

4. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

Hello @Gavin Mulholland,

I decided to pull out my Hiker+ before answering your question. Since the magnet is permanently mounted in the case it works when you move the stove back and forth in the case. You should be able to hear the needle moving up and down, kind of a metallic clicking sound. I've had a similar issue with one of my normal Nova stoves and have used the magnetic tool while the stove was running. In my case it was a well used stove and I ended up having to remove the jet, needle and spindle to flush it out. These are really not that complicated. Good Luck

5. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

I replaced the dark colored magnet (cheap) that came with my stove with a much stronger rare earth magnet and it works much better now. Easy fix and much more reliable. Jerry

6. Gavin Mulholland

Thanks guys,
    I could just send it back but I'd much rather get it going if I can

7. NP4-8-4

NP4-8-4 Subscriber

GM: I encourage you to continue on with your plan. I initially had problems getting my Hiker+ to run at an acceptable level. But as I am partial to box stoves I did all the things recommended to clean and flush the tank and disassemble the fuel line and burner and clean and flush those as well - several times - and eventually my stove began to run well enough that I would not hesitate to take it on a summer canoe trip. Rangie's advice to get a spares kit is spot on as the Hiker+ fuel filter will need replacing as you burn a few tanks of fuel through it to "break it in." Pay close attention when attaching the fuel line. My experience was that if the fitting was not just right, the stove would underperform. I suspect that these parts are not machined to close tolerances and that a bit of an air leak will result if they are not fitted closely and snugged up enough to prevent air leakage. The Hiker+ is not a 111 but mine is now functional and trustworthy enough to use in the summer. Having other more reliable stoves for winter use, my Hiker+ does not get selected for winter trips. Good luck.

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

9. Gavin Mulholland

10. Gavin Mulholland

Thanks NP4-8-4,
    I'll do what you guys say and see what I can do to get it going properly.

11. Normo

I share your pain. I had one, tried various things. Finally gave it away.

Norm

12. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I think Doc Mark had one, liked it.
    Duane

13. kerry460

kerry460 Australia R.I.P. Subscriber

does it have a brass or steel tank ? they came with both .

kerry

14. Gavin Mulholland

Not sure Kerry,

Steel I think? I will stick a magnet on it later and find out

15. kerry460

i am very busy , but i will respond as soon as i can .
    kerry

16. Gavin Mulholland

So...
    I have taken the stove apart, cleaned it out and put it back together.
    I have a couple of issues that I could do with some guidance on please:
    1. I am not convinced the needle mechanism is working at all. When I took it apart I found the needle, the jet and a small metal pip that looks like it is made out of tiny ball bearings. Doesn't anyone know how this is meant to work? Passing it over a magnet didn't appear to do anything. I have sat the needle on top of this little pip. I hope that is correct?
    2. It took a bit to get it going and even when it was running the flame contains a lot of yellow (see pics). The pump puts a good deal of pressure into the tank but could this be a pressure issue? The pump handle will not stay in once pressurised. Is this ok? I'm wondering if some pressure is leaking from somewhere and maybe all the nuts need to be tightened again after I took them apart.
    As ever, all help advice, comments or abuse, welcome.
    P.s. A magnet won't stick to the tank so I guess it is brass. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

If the pump shaft is rising, you have either a leak around the NRV, bad pip or crud in the NRV causing it to not seal, or stress cracks in the pump tube which is unlikely since you had the stove going earlier.
    Duane

18. Gavin Mulholland

That doesn't sound great...

19. kerry460

good news that the tank is brass , if clean it will stay clean as in no rust.
    it sounds like the NRV is not sealing .
    the ones i have seen use a poly sealing washer so undo easily .
    take it out and check it out .

kerry

20. Gavin Mulholland

Just unscrewed the NRV and what came out was only about 1cm long (with a white washer) but, and I fear this may be a big but, something has fallen into the tank! Presumably whatever was screwed on the other end of the piece that I got out.
    I was expecting to see an NRV about 3-4 cm long and for it to simply come out in one piece.
    Not sure what to do about this one...