Optimus Loke 85

Discussion in 'Optimus No:85 Loke' started by Stoveuser, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Stoveuser

Hello!
    This is my newest stove. Sorry, no flameshots yet. As you can see, its a " virgin", but I'll give it try when the time is right.
    By the way, can someone tell me when these stoves were produced :?:

1390752393-image.jpg 1390752413-image.jpg 1390752433-image.jpg 1390752447-image.jpg 1390752463-image.jpg

Best regards
    Stoveuser

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, StoveUser,

EXCELLENT!! I can "almost" smell the new of that Loke 85!! ;) :thumbup: :thumbup: :D I look forward to hearing your thoughts about this interesting stove, after you've had a chance to use it. And, I've got the instructions all laid out to take to the Printers tomorrow, and will get your set into the Mail then. Hearty congrats on your outstanding score!! Have fun, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Stoveuser

Thank you Doc!

Yes, I'm too looking forward to try this stove.
    Just have to figure out how to support the stove when using it outside in the snow. Some kind of plate or small board of some kind I guess. Time will show.

Best regards
    Stoveuser.

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, StoveUser,

Back when we used to enjoy using our 81 Trapper stove whilst camping at around 10,000 ft. elevation, in the snow, we used to put a small square of cut Ensolite pad down on the snow, big enough to give good working room for the Trapper, then put a thin piece of some hardboard down on top of that, when needed. Usually, the Ensolite pad was enough. But, make sure you check to see if the heat of the stove will melt the pad. We learned that the hard way....!! :shock: :oops: :-({|= :lol: :lol: Talk soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Some folks in the US use an old car license plate, made of tin, underneath their stoves, to keep them from melting down into the snow. That should work well for you, too. I remember Monte Dodge, aka Mad Monte, who used to be a member here, back in the old days, used that setup, and was fond of it for Winter camping.

5. Stoveuser

Good night Doc! ( Its two o'clock in the night and I'm at work)

Yes, I think I can figure out something.
    Maybe a v.2 of my original "Stove board" :content:

The original "Stove Board 1.0"
    1390784864-image.jpg

Best regards
    Stoveuser
    Working the graveyard shift

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Evening, StoveUser,

I see you already are on the right path, and probably figured all this out before I had even thought about it, years ago! ;) :lol: :lol: Your stove board v.1 looks perfect. Plenty of room for the stove, windscreen(s), and any other goodies, like cups, flasks, etc.. I guess I was thinking about using a pad whilst backpacking in the mountains, which is where we actually used ours. Anyway, you're savvy on stoves, and I know you'll figure out something that works, and is easy to pack, too.

The Grave Yard shift is always "interesting". Back when I played music for a living, we had one job in Las Vegas where we did not begin playing until 12 midnight. We played until 8AM, and that was one of the strangest shift in sleep hours that I've had, since my service in the Military!!

Have a safe shift, and a good night. Oh, and that looks like a 00 burner, with a Primus 210 type fuel tank. Am I right? Probably from when Optimus bought out Primus, and was using up all the Primus parts by putting them on Optimus burners, etc.. I love those stoves, by the way! Work great, and quite powerful for their easy to carry size. Got to get back to work, then make dinner for myself, as Sweet Bride is working out of town right now. Talk soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Beautiful example and images Stoveuser, thanks for posting. As for year(s) of production I don't know, but they were available in 1989 .

1390787137-1219162114-c1989_p3_opt.jpg

I'd be guessing here, but mid to late 1980's through til early 1990's?

edit: For a decent platform to help keep the stove/case off the ground (insulation/flat workspace/clean environment/etc) I cut a 32 cm x 32 cm piece of blue foamie (1 cm thick closed cell foam). On top of that I often use a stainless steel plate (sized to match case or stove dimensions) to help act as a heat diffuser/heatsink, fuel or food spill catch all, and as an aid to move the stove around safely. Also protects the foamie from melting when used with certain stove models. The foamie is useful for many other things as well - sitting on snow, kneeling by tent, dog bed, etc and packs easily/ligthweight.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. Stoveuser

Hi!
    Some great tips here, thank you.
    And Doc, that stove resting on the original "Stove Board 1.0"(c), tm, (r) ;) is a Manaslu no 96. I got it as a present from my kids when I turned 50.
    Speaking of Grave Yard shift, working any time of the day, has been my cup of tea the last 30 or so years. As a locomotive engineer, I go to work be it early morning, late evening or like now, in the middle of the night. In some strange way you get used to it.
    Right now its snowing here in Oslo. This is my " office" to night. Picture is taken with my I pad and not up to usual standards.

1390789132-image.jpg

Best regards
    Stoveuser

9. Pinky

Pinky Subscriber

Hooooooo Mama!

What a nice example of a rare stove!

Great find! :D/

I love stoves from this experimental phase in Optimus's history. It seems that they were trying out all sorts of new ideas as the market began to shift away from traditional stoves.

Big congrats, and thanks for sharing it! :thumbup: