Optimus No 00

Discussion in 'Tips & Guides' started by Outbackshooter, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Outbackshooter

Outbackshooter Subscriber

Hello I am just new to this form and not sure how it work, but am going to try postings.
    I will start out by saying that I have three Optimus stoves No 00-9&99 and two Primus stoves No 100 & 210 and am missing a couple parts. Two start out will just one stove at a time, the No 00 is complete and in very good condition there are no date or serial numbers or lettlers stamped on it it does have the Globe and made in Sweden stamped on and on the bottom it is stamper made in Sweden. Can anyone help me date this stove. PS it works great.

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Outbackshooter Welcome to CCS.
    The bad news: Optimus did not date code their stoves.
    Better news; post some photos of your stove and any markings and CCS Members will try to give an approximate manufacturing date by comparing your stove with similar Op. 00 stoves in the Reference Gallery and catalogues.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. Outbackshooter

Thank you will take some pictures and have them post as soon as I can

4. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

@Outbackshooter
    Welcome here
    Great classic stoves you have!

Depending on what you need - there are several on-line sources or even members who might help you out.
    But beware - This is a highly addictive hobby - stoves are known to multiply when left unattended ;-)
    By using the search-function you’ll get a lot of knowledge - and by subscribing you’ll have access to original manuals and such.
    Again - A warm welcome.

Harder

5. Outbackshooter

Thank you very much, I have five stoves so far an am always looking for them in my travels I have three Optimus and two Primus stove and am going to start looking for parts for the Optimus No 96 and the Primus No 100 must of these stovr have no serial numbers or letter stamps on them so will work on one stove at a time. Being in Canada is there some one who sells partd?
    Darcy

6. Outbackshooter

These are the pictures of the Optimus No 00 stove I am hoping to date

Darcy

IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0022.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2020 at 7:39 PM
  7. Simes

Simes Subscriber

From the brass windshield I would.suggest a late model, perhaps early 70's onwards. Also the overall condition would suggest little use.

A lovely example.

8. Outbackshooter

I think that the brass shield may be the other shield that I have it is black off of the Primus No 210 but they both measure the same size

Darcy

9. kerophile

Hi @Outbackshooter . Thanks for the additional photos.
    Have a look at this post and compare the detailed markings and tank features:

Optimus No.00 - Post 1962

The most useful feature on your stove for me is the Optimus-Primus marking of the burner.

This was used for a few years after the formation of the Primus Trading Company:

The “MADE IN SWEDEN” marking on the tank base also indicates post 1962 and the formation of the PTC.

Optimus No:00L - 1960's to 70's

I reckon your stove dates from the period 1962-1970

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  10. Outbackshooter

It look the one I have, pump rod is steel & the spanner( wrench) says made in Sweden.
    what do you use to luberate the pump rod pack. The red box that I have has the Optimus Globe on the outside of the lid and directions for the Primus No 96 and No 97 on the inside of the box it also came with two set of three cleaning needles a Primus colored trade mark sticker laminated instruction sheet& mineral sprites metal bottle. Found the unit for only a few dollars. I like using it in the mountain here in Alberta
    Darcy

11. Outbackshooter

Can you tell me what PTC stand for, also after checking the tin box it looks like the one in your picture with the rolled edges with the one I have as the Optimus crest stamped and the Primus stick that is inside the box lookes like it was clued on over the Optimus Globe you can see the clue outline.
    Darcy

12. kerophile

Hi, if you are asking about lubricating the pump piston or leather pump washer:
    Ordinary light machine oil as used for sewing machines and hinges works well.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

13. kerophile

You asked about the, PTC, the Primus Trading Company: