Optimus no.1 external NRV

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by E.B.H., Oct 29, 2020.

1. E.B.H. Norway

I came across a rather nice specimen of an Optimus no. 1 with external NRV. Only thing is that the walve is broken. It's stuck an I can't get it out. Any one with experience on this problem?
    20201029_193041.jpg 20201029_193130.jpg

2. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Straight answer @E.B.H., yes, and these NRVs are absolute nightmares if they are stuck or, as I can see in your photo, both stuck and already damaged too:twisted: The Achilles heel of this design is that, if the screwdriver slot has suffered damage and/or the spring holder cover has begun to split, there is no access to gain any purchase or grip to remove what remains.
    Whatever you do about it next the most important point to bear in mind is to make sure that you do not damage the recessed base socket threads in the process. I have been lucky in salvaging a few in the past, but am still struggling to save this horror and turn it back into a working stove. In this case I have managed to rebuild a viable spring cover from the remnants of the old cover, silbraze, and elements off a standard NRV; but unfortunately I now find that the female socket threads have already been compromised too.
    Good luck, there is no guaranteed simple solution,
    Ian:thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  3. E.B.H. Norway

Found a solution. Made something similar to the LUX external NRV soldered to the inside of the cap. It might be cheating, but it works.

4. E.B.H. Norway

5. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Nothing wrong with that, if it is a viable working solution it also perfectly fulfills the key conservation criteria of being both non-damaging and reversible:thumbup: To reach the point of making that alternative carrier, however, you had to get the damaged socket shroud out. You must have been very lucky in getting that to unscrew, or did achieving that involve some clever work-around too?
    Ian:thumbup:

6. E.B.H. Norway

I removed the tube and heated it. Then I managed to break off the NRV by the socket. The bottom part is still stuck in the threads.