Optimus No:11 *

Discussion in 'Optimus No:11' started by aktopp, Dec 5, 2006.

1. aktopp

aktopp Subscriber

Hi everybody!

Here is a photo of my latest find.

1355091256-Opt_11_1.jpg

Yes, you are right. It is a MINT :D , new in box :lol: , never lit ;) , virgin :roll: :oops: Optimus No. 11 :!:

1355091263-Opt_11_2.jpg

After some cleaning and polishing it looks like this:
    1355091275-Opt_11_4.jpg 1355091326-Opt_11_3.jpg 1355091334-Opt_11_7.jpg

The box needs a repaint.
    When I get time, and find the right dark green color, I will probably give it that.

It fired up the first time and burned nicely. Sorry, no photos.

As can be seen on the third photo, the burner is a bit special.
    Here are some close ups. Still a bit of soot on the burner, but I'm going to light it so...
    1355091389-Opt_11_5.jpg 1355091397-Opt_11_6.jpg

In comparison, the burner of Doc Mark's Optimus 11:
    (Hope it's ok Doc?)
    1355091405-DSCN1483.jpg

Doc Mark's burner looks very much like the burner of an Optimus 111, and looks like having a built in cleaning needle.
    Mine has not built in cleaning needle, and looks very similar to the burner of an Optimus No. 9.
    (Photo borrowed from Ross's gallery)

1355091415-optimus_9_04.jpg

Does anybody know if Optimus used the same burner on both the No. 9 and the No. 11?

Does this mean that mine is older than Doc's?
    Any ideas about the vintage?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Arne K?re,

Those are some of the best "before and after" photos I've ever seen!! Very neat! I think your stove would date to the 1930's, don't you think? When was the #9 in production? Wasn't that in the late 1930's? If so, your burner certainly looks similar to the one on the #9. It's definitely older than mine, I think. OH, and by the way, no problem at all in posting a photo of my #11! Glad it could be here to be Brothers with yours!! Congratulations, and great job on the clean-up. When you fired it up, was the flame as strong as a regular 111, or 111B? I've heard that the #11's had a slightly weaker flame. What do you think? Again, great job, and thanks for sharing it with us. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

3. spudz

Wow !! :shock: Great find, and a great fettle so far.

I note that the control spindle on the n.9 doesn't sit at 90 degrees to the fuel line, wheras on your n.11 it does. A modification ? But which then, is the original ?
    All very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

(the Flame please, we need to .. )
    Enjoy the Flame

Spudz

4. aktopp

aktopp Subscriber

Hi,
    Thanks for the comments.
    There are still a lot to do, at least with the box.

Some flames:
    Opt_11_8.jpg
    Opt_11_9.jpg

This is difficult to say, more or less as a 111.

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Arne K?re,

Great "flame/cherry red" photo! I'm sure that Brother Spudz is deep in the after glow, after having seen that photo!! After seeing it, I have to agree with you, that flame looks just like the flame a good 111 offers!! Very nice, indeed, and well done! I will look forward to seeing how you do on your box paint job, however I am certain you will do just as fine as you did with the stove, itself. Thanks for sharing, Arne K?re, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

I just love the way the fuel feed-tube links with the burner - must be old.
    Like its children (the 111 variations), it burns really hot - look at that pan support! |imgRemoved|

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, Arne K?re, and All,

Yes, I do think your burner is older than mine. And, I would still suggest that yours is from the 1930's. One thing about mine, though: It does not have a built-in cleaning needle. It needs an outboard needle, and the little wrench/tool, as well. I love my Optimus #11, and am very glad I found and won mine. Cost a bit of coin, though it was worth it, as it came to me just as you see it.

YOUR Optimus #11 qualifies, in my opinion, for the best "before and after photos" of any fettle I've yet seen!!! Outstanding job on the fettle, Arne K?re, and I can hardly wait to see the case, after you've had time to clean it up and restore it's original glory! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

8. morris

Hello,

Few days ago I bought a optimus 11,
    It Looks the same as your stove but it looks like the tank is from An 111??????? ](*,)
    how comes???
    Is it possible they put the tank in at the factory?

greetz

9. Knight84

Hello Morris.

Check out this Post

I am far from an expert. And without seeing your stove I can't really say what you have.
    Once you have the stove would you please post some pictures of it on here. I would be very interested in seeing it.

From the sounds of it you have a 11. A later model though. :-k

Cheers,
    Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  10. morris

Here are the foto's then.

I can read no 11 on the metal cap but it looks like a 111 from the inside?

1276008608-11_no2.jpg 1276008594-11_no1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  11. Knight84

Thanks!!!

Very interesting!!!

If you look at the bottom of this Post . You have the same stove as brassnipplekey (Nick) Yours has a earlier tank cap and spindle like his. Your burner looks earlier too.

Optimus didn't waste anything and used old 11 cases to make the new 111's. So yours would be one of the first 111 made around 1952.

The question I have now is does yours have a cleaning needle? Or can you take a close up of the burner?

Thanks so much for adding pictures.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

12. morris

Hello knight84,

thanks a lot for the information.
    The first question I Cant answer becouse the spindle is stuck and will twist only 90 degrees.
    so I tryed to make a close up.

greetz

13. Knight84

Hello,

That is a 111 kero burner. So there should be a cleaning needle inside. 90 degrees is about all the turning you get from this style of burner. The cleaning needle rack prevents it. When you turn the spindle all the way to the left (counter-clockwise) the needle should pop up.

1246239083-IMG_1436_opt.jpg

Which jet is on your stove? The one on the left right.

You will need to remove the jet and cleaning rack and needle before you can remove the spindle. You need this wrench to do that. [url='http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370390195268&ru=http://shop.ebay.nl:80/?_from=R40&_...&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1#shId]Ebay Link[/url]

Jeff