Optimus No:172

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by Scott D, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Scott D

Scott D United Kingdom Subscriber

Good evening all,

I’m new to the forum but I have been a regular on CPL for a while, having started a collection of lanterns last year. I fancied a new challenge and have been watching a few stoves in auctions and have picked up this Optimus which looking at the reference gallery appears to be a 182? I have yet to start reading up on what I’ve bought and I’m hoping my lantern restoration experience will be useful. It would just be good to confirm the model before I get too far off track. Also, does the stove look complete? Looking at the reference gallery I may be missing the control wheels/shafts (looking forward to getting the correct terminology in any replies!) that extend from the burner out to the front of the stove. Or do I have a different model?

Many thanks

Scott

5E70DD4A-BFDD-4DB3-8E35-E86312001665.jpeg 7F0A2CF0-1633-43B1-A274-4E5BB093364F.jpeg 78EBA3A6-ED30-41AC-983F-F3DAB248C393.jpeg DF6EFFDA-8E23-4D8A-A87E-DBB6C43C2FB3.jpeg B285EC97-EAD9-476A-8D1A-E9A730A38E01.jpeg B7C3FFDD-5CC5-4E4F-BFA6-F17A63A96250.jpeg E038786C-C3DB-483B-8AD6-E3E54ABECCAC.jpeg F6A795AA-8960-411B-A44F-1A21B4FE4F72.jpeg CFDC44CD-223B-4776-8E46-622D01FAF8D8.jpeg 1D92A87B-6E57-49D2-ACA5-5EF87D2024B3.jpeg

2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

You have a variant of the 172. This has unregulated burners so nothing missing! :thumbup:

Here's an extract from our catalogue section:
    Capture.JPG

3. Scott D

Thank you, glad it’s complete. Unregulated should make it a simpler system then I assume? Good for a beginner?

There isn’t one in the reference gallery. Is this not a common model?

4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Oh & welcome to CCS. Aye - not so common so a good start. Your's can be the first in the gallery! Congratulations! You can add more pics once you've done it up.

I'll amend the title & move it across.

5. Scott D

Thank you, may have been better starting with something more common but it should be fun! Best start reading up.

6. Dutchmike

Welcome to this forum Scott. If already experienced with lamps I think you underestimate your skills with stoves. And as these burners ar not regulated (no high and low, no On and Off) you have a simple design without the possible pitfalls of regulated burners, that are mighty expensive if purchased new in the wrong places. Chances are that what you have there is an extremely practical unit that should not take much effort and money to serve you well. Congratulations, Mike

7. Scott D

Thanks Mike, I was hoping it would be a smooth transition. Sounds like this should be the relatively straightforward start I was hoping for. I assume for painting, once cleaned up I will be ok with a vht for the frame and anything in contact with the flames I leave bare? I will read up!

8. Dutchmike

I am a poor source of info on paints, as I don't beautify my items. But the frame(s) can be sprayed with a normal HT formula, and yes, I would leave the parts in the actual flame of the burners bare. Just touch the metal up with some oil to prevent rust when stowed away.

9. Scott D

Thank you, I’ll see what I have once it’s cleaned up and go from there.

10. Ian

Ian Subscriber

The frame won't get really hot, so ordinary primer and enamel paint in the colour of your choice should be ok. Clean up the burners and polish the brass. VHT black on the trivets. Renew seals, washers, nrv pip & pump leather, of course.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  11. Scott D

Thanks Ian, looking forward to getting started. I’m surprised the trivets will take a VHT paint, is the theory that the trivets should be just out of reach of the actual flames?

12. optipri

optipri Subscriber

The trivets seems to be in cast iron, not pressed sheet steel like on later models.
    This makes it much easier. Soak them in a citron acid mixture for a couple of days.
    Then just brush the rust away and impregnate with something to prevent further oxidation.
    I use pure nickel paste that gives a smooth gray surface and resists the heat. But there are other chemicals that can be used too.
    In old days we used something called sharp black (Google translate) here in Sweden to tune up old wood log burners and ranges.
    Still available I guess but I don't know the chemical content. Guess it must been find in UK too.
    You can give the frame the same treatment too and then a paint. This stove was coming in different versions with different coating so take something that looks good.
    Many was painted green in what we call hammer varnish here in Sweden, don't know the English word for it.
    Good luck with your restoration.

Bo

13. Scott D

Thanks Bo, that has really helped my research!

14. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

@Scott D ,
    Welcome ! Very nice (1st?) stove!! I wish you good luck with it.
    Aw geez, here I go thinking again! Where I'm coming from with this:
    Trevor sheet finds ref. to the No.172 is found 1934 to 1957/58.
    I find the only catalog (to-date) that is applicable to Scott's 172 is just the:
    "1934 Catalogue No:1260". In that ...

> 1934 cat. 172T has: non-regulated silent 205, vent screw, 297 tank lid, cast trivets.
    vs
    > Scott D's 172? has: non-regulated silent 205, vent screw, **298B tank lid, cast trivets.

A few comments:
    Rare 298B tank lids have integral SRV (a carry-over from Campingo) and it makes sense they are original to your 172, ... so, re the 298B tank lids: To rebuild or not?
    As evident by subsequent versions of 172, you will need proper sealing tank lid but your stove will not need functioning SRV tank lid (many common replacement tank lids should suffice to get stove working, IF safety release pip of 298B happens to leak).

Initial finding: it appears to me yours is a rare 1st version of 172? :thumbup::thumbup:. Well done man! As for dating, it appears it would have been offered in brief window: by 1933 -to- 1934 (no later).
    -------------------------------------------

Ok, we have a 172 (title), good.
    TMI: it is aka 172T
    172T is silent version of 172 (205 burner)
    172R is roarer version of 172 (201 burner).

IF maybe the "T" in 1934 172T, indicates Tystbrinnande - Swedish (Silent burner) ???
    IF so?, a question for another time & place could be
    What does "R" in 172R indicate? ... we know it's a Roarer version but that is
    English *word (easy way/answer is not best way/answer) and
    *Roarer is only ... sort of a word ... a stovie sort of word :oops: :-k

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  15. Scott D

@OMC - Wow, great intro! Yes this is my first stove and your information gives me a good start getting to grips with it. I’m not sure I quite follow the tank lid references, are you talking about the filler caps on the fuel tanks? Thank you.

16. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Yes. Sorry. My mistake.
    A hundred years ago and Optimus and others refer to tank lids. That, regrettably, has stuck with me since early in my collecting.
    In recent years, I concur and prefer the best known term which I should have used: filler caps.

17. Scott D

Not at all, I’d always rather know the terms accurate for the period. The history of these is just fascinating. I’m just keen to not make any mistakes especially seeing as I’m starting out with a fairly uncommon stove.

18. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Hi Bo: Does anyone know for how long Optimus supplied the various ranges (single and double) with cast-iron trivets rather than the later pressed-steel ones?

Peter

19. Scott D

Does anyone have a recommendation for the nickel paste for the trivets or an alternative? I’ve found a few nickel paste products but all with inhalation health warnings.

20. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Scott D

I use a product available in Australia that is called “stove black”. I doubt it is nickel, but it is a thickish liquid that is painted or rubbed on, then polished. It is used on pot belly stoves and old cast iron ranges etc.

I’m sure you’ll find similar products in BBQ stores.

Tony