Optimus No:184

Discussion in 'Optimus No:184' started by taadaa58, Jun 21, 2013.

1. taadaa58

Hello,I have had this stove for about 4yrs now.We found it at a yard sale in PA when camping.Our first & only Optimus. In researching it I have not found another like it.I am unsure if the 1915 is the year or model #? It does work and except for some minor rust in one area it is in very good condition.I know it is a marine stove,but other than that we know little.I would love to have more information on this stove.
    Thank you :content:

1371804749-Optimus_SVEA_1915_Stove_001.JPG

1371804808-Optimus_SVEA_1915_Stove_016.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2016
  2. taadaa58

I will have to retake more pics.The other were too large to add.I will do that tomorrow,but if specific views are needed or wanted just let me know which ones would be most helpful.
    Thanks again

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome to CCS.
    Without looking closer, and not being an expert, or even close, I would say it looks a lot like an Optimus 182. There are 3 in the Optimus 'other models' section.
    Why do you say SVEA in the title?

Oh, and a very beautiful stove.

Ken in NC

4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome.
    Svea 1915 is the make & part number of the burner caps.

5. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome to the forum.

I'm no expert on this style of stove but a scan through the Optimus catalogues in the Reference Library suggests that it is an Optimus 184 which is the marine version of the 182.

Terry

6. taadaa58

Thank you for the welcome! :)

Ken, because it had SVEA marked on it and when researching I found many termed as Optimus SVEA stoves, I assumed that was the correct name. So the SVEA is just the burner caps along with the 1915 & the correct name for this is just an Optimus stove with it being a marine version?

Would the unmarked burner be just Optimus and not SVEA?

I had looked through all the Optimus stoves for a while now, but did not realize mine was a 182 or 184 so that helps, thank you. Any idea how to determine it's age? I am working on more new pics to add.

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

This is a cool thread. Very interesting stove. Thanks for showing it.

Ken in NC

8. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Hi Taadaa - It's common for such stoves to lose their original caps and/or have different manufacturer's burner models on them versus the framing/fuel tanks themselves. They would have been swapped/replaced by previous owner(s) - either due to wear, damage or loss. I'd put this stove (Optimus 184) late 1930's to early 1950's, somewhere in there. Check the reference library for catalogues, etc - look for similar style tanks, fuel caps, frames, etc.

THe burners themselves should have their manufacture name on them (stamped/embossed) - check on rim of the rounded burner, the riser, or even on the other side of the burner rim. Sometimes it's easier to see if they are cleaned/polished. She's in good shape, do the usual on her (check/replace gaskets, pump leather, NRV, etc) and fire her up.

9. theyellowdog

Optimus 1959

This 1959 catalogue has the 184, it says it is galvanised. My 184 is galvanised. Optimus 184. Has yours been painted? It is a really nice stove, a keeper.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  10. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Sorry - I should have said burners not caps. As mentioned above other manufacturers will do burners that fit.

They are very practical stoves to use.

11. taadaa58

I don't have enough knowledge about galvanized items, but will ask my husband who is a machinist & welder and will know. It's not painted anywhere,the main frame enamel,a bluish grey with white specks.

Unfortunately we won't be keeping it. We're downsizing to move next year so a lot of things have to go. We'll be living in our old RV for a year or so.

We did use her a few times last summer,but because she is so large we'll be keeping our favorite old Coleman & a camping/stove my husband made a few years ago. He's the type that can make anything so he made a stove with all the specs he wanted in it and that also stores well in the RV.

I'm going to check out that catalog you have added the link for. (thank you) I'm still trying to find out her age or as close as possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  12. taadaa58

I learned something new today. After asking my husband if the stove was galvanized or not he explained it would either be galvanized or enameled not both. Our stove is enameled. Now I want to see something galvanized in person so I can see how it feels,,just to know the difference.

13. theyellowdog

That's why I asked. It is not easy to get paint to stick to galvanised metals. From where I am sitting I can see a galvanised boat trailer. It looks like a matt silver.

14. taadaa58

I just don't know enough to understand between the two until my husband shows me.

You say boat trailer. So because it is a marine stove are you calling the frame around it the trailer?

I'm trying to add a pic of it up closer,but having trouble.Some pics from the same file taken at the same have already posted,yet others it says are too big. I'll keep trying so you can see it better.(computers aren't one of my strengths) [-( :lol:

15. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Vitreous (i.e. proper) enamelling is effectively coating with glass. Galvanising is coating with zinc metal. They're nothing like each other...

:? A boat trailer is what a boat sits on so you can tow (US = 'trail'?) it behind your car, SUV etc...

16. theyellowdog

Sorry for the confusion, I was pointing out another example of galvanised metal, as you wanted to view some. I was talking about an actual trailer, not a stove. The steel frame is dipped in, whatever, to give a rust resistant finish.

17. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=galvanized+bucket&client=firefox-a&hs=kS2&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=NSjJUfvOAqaFiAeojYCQDA&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=766
    This is a google image search on "galvanised bucket" if the link doesnt work
    Many examples of galvanising.

18. taadaa58

I know what a actual 'boat trailer' is,my husband builds them and we've owned boats. Yellow dog said he sees a boat trailer,since there is nothing remotely close to a boat or trailer in the pics of the stove,but because it is a marine stove I thought possibly the outside fame was called a boat trailer.Objects are often named for things they are used with or related to it's use,,otherwise I have no clue what he means about seeing a boat trailer.

I'll see first hand something galvanized when my husband is able to show me. This stove is definitely enameled.

19. taadaa58

Thanks yellowdog.

Sorry, I misunderstood but do appreciate you trying to help me understand galvanized. :) We have a machine & welding shop out back. My husband works part time but has been working a lot of OT at his regular job recently. I'm sure he has something galvanized out there so with July 4th next week, he'll have some much needed time off & then be able to show me something first hand. I have looked at all the links put up for me but am very curious to see and feel something galvanized first hand. I'm sure I've handled some many times but never knew the correct name of that kind of metal. As a rule, the only thing that interests me in the shop is the side money it brings in. ;)

20. taadaa58

I've been researching as I have time but have not been able to tell the difference between the Optimus 182 & 184. I am trying to see what makes mine a 184. The only difference to my uneducated eye is the marine frame around mine which the 182 doesn't have. If that is the difference. Can anyone educate me on them please?

Thank you :)