Optimus No:1S Nickel plated stove.

Discussion in 'Optimus No:1(inc. S & J)' started by kerophile, Jan 29, 2008.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I thought we needed more stove pictures on the Site and since no one else is offering I have decided to show you some work in Progress.

I recently acquired a somewhat distressed Optimus 1S Nickel - plated stove. This is a paraffin-fuelled 2-pint stove, and I believe that this one dates from the 1930s.

Here is a photo of the stove as it was advertised by the Seller:

1355095585-OrkneyOp1S.jpg

I have already posted some images of the silent burner it was fitted with:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/7184

I got some very useful information from the replies I received.

Today I made some replacement legs, set up the stove with a roarer burner, which would have been correct for a Optimus 1S stove, and got it operating:

1355095592-DSCN0096_edited-7.jpg

It quickly boiled my kettle and I brewed up a mug of tea.

1355095576-DSCN0097_edited-4.jpg

I fitted the stove with a Primus pan-ring because that was what was handy at the time;

1355095614-DSCN0098_edited-5.jpg

The reserve tank lid, which is parked on the pump rod, was made by Doug Weise, as the original was missing.

1355095633-DSCN0099_edited-3.jpg

1355095643-DSCN0101_edited-3.jpg

You can see that it pushes out a very good flame;

1355095651-DSCN0103_edited-3.jpg

The Optimus 1S is one of those stoves fitted with attractive Lion's feet:

1355095659-DSCN0104_edited-1.jpg

The tank has all the usual, good quality Optimus engraving.

So there you have it; An 80-year old classic Swedish paraffin pressure stove.
    This one will never win a beauty contest, nor be a high-quality display stove but it works well and will probably be good for many more years.

It has given me a lot of satisfaction researching the stove, burner and other components, and making and replacing those parts that were needed. It could have so easily have ended up in the scrap-bin

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Excellent, George. I do love the nickel-plating and lion's feet, like my 110.

3. exeter_yak

It's definately a nice old stove George, and I think you mentioned it is from the Orkneys so it is even more important if you consider the potential nostalgic factor. You have done a great job so far in the primary work as can be seen by a very nice flame colour and pattern.

Nice work and I'm glad someone is posting stove photos.

Regards,
    Doug

4. jenspetter 123

Hi Kero

As always,nice pictures. I like the feet. The 1S puts out a lot of heat does not it?
    And the roar from the burner..............!
    I have a couple of nickle plated Radius 21, no Primus.
    And of course not near in the condition that Kerophile are able to fettle!!

Regards

5. kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2016
  6. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi George, today I tried (unsuccesfully so far :oops: ) to put new life in my Optimus bowl fire (on N°1S fount). One thing that I noticed when taking it apart was a shiny circle on top of the fount, exactly like the one on yours(see your first photo)! So this makes me think your stove also started life as a bowl heater, or maybe these came with both a bowl heater for winter use and a regular burner for summer use. Anyhow, yours must have been used as a bowlheater for a prolonged time, the bowl attachment having covered the shiny part of the fount and thusly protecting it from corrosion. What is your idea on this?

Regards,

Wim

7. kerophile

Hi Wim, You are correct as my Op. 1S stove/heater came to me with a home-made extended riser tube and home-welded extensions on the legs.
    It had been used as a stove with this higher-mounted burner arrangement, but the heater bowl and reflector were both missing when I found the stove.
    I believe that the Optimus 1S was offered with optional heater attachments.

1208078298-003c.jpg

Good Luck in fettling your Optimus 1S.
    What problem do you have with it?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2016
  8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi George, it looked like a fairly easy fettle, oiled the pump cup, nrv works OK, put a new washer above the primer cup and, after getting a yellow flame, fitted a new nipple. There still is to much yellow! The bowl even doesn't start to glow. As it came sans inner&outer cap I'm using Prabhat ones, will try again with some I know work OK from another stove. There is one thing I'm not to sure about; the central tube (that holds the inner cap in place) is a bit dammaged at the top but I guess this will not affect the flame to much. Anyhow, once it functions like it should, I'll post some "action photo's" of it!

Regards,

Wim

9. kerophile

Hi Wim, the central spigot of silent burner stoves sometimes get damaged, and shortened! as a result of melting caused by the stove under-burning. As long as the top of the spigot extends to just above the inner cap, the stove should still work OK.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi George,
    I'm pretty certain that this '1S' here must have begun life as part of one of the 'new pattern' Travelling Optimus 1S sets which first became available in 1932 ( Link ). The filler shown in the photos above is the same as that illustrated in the catalogue for the Traveller; the heater versions had a different filler arrangement ( Link ).
    Ian.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  11. Nick Bliss United Kingdom

Hi Kerophile,

I have just been investigating a leaking roof of our home up in Westray, Orkney. Whilst in the loft I discovered this very sorry looking Nickle plated No 1s. Any advice on where to start and on acquiring a set of seals etc?

Many Thanks in Advance,

Nick

Attached Files:

12. kerophile

Hi Near Neighbour @Nick Bliss .
    Nice find, Probably dating from the 1930s.
    Fettle Box, run by Ross the CCS owner, has these:

Kit E Optimus/Primus etc 2 pint 1, 5 etc - The Fettlebox

Which will fit your stove, and as a CCS member you qualify for a discount,

It seems likely that your Op.1S was a dual purpose stove (Radiant heater or cooking stove) as it has a longer riser-tube. This brings the burner up to the centre-line of the parabolic reflector.

Good Luck with your fettle.
    Any queries, Just ask.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  13. Nick Bliss United Kingdom

Brilliant, thanks for the reply @kerophile . I will have to keep my eye out for the heating parts as I intend to use it, I do a fair amount of wild camping and whilst my petromax lantern provides plenty of heat it is very bright. I also found a nice brass oil lamp and glass shade at home a while back, came up a treat and used outdoors with citronella oil, kept the midges at bay whilst in Avimore this summer. I did notice that your location is the far north of Scotland and that one of your stoves was from Orkney. I will have fun fettling this to some sort of usable form.

Thanks Again,

Nick

14. kerophile

15. kerophile