Optimus No.45 from C. 1960.

Discussion in 'Optimus No:45' started by kerophile, Oct 13, 2015.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Here are some photos of the first stove I ever owned.

It was bought new in 1960 and we used it on a long family car camping holiday, starting in Sussex and ending up a few weeks later in the Northernmost part of Scotland. We stayed with relatives for a week or so, then came South again, camping all the way.
    P1090510.jpg P1090511.jpg P1090512.jpg P1090513.jpg P1090514.jpg P1090515.jpg P1090516.jpg P1090517.jpg P1090522.jpg P1090518.jpg P1090519.jpg P1090523.jpg P1090525.jpg P1090526.jpg P1090527.jpg P1090528.jpg

My father died in Dec 1962 at the age of 44, so the memories have been important for me and the dates firm.

This stove, is an Optimus No 45S, it turns out, and has a sunken filler and an air release on top of the filler cap.

The illustration in the 1957/8 Optimus Catalogue introduces the "new" Op.45S and 48S, featuring the new, for Optimus, sunken filler tube to ensure the tank cannot be over-filled.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1957-58-appr-optimus-catalogue.9292/

However the catalogue illustration shows the Op.45 and 48 with side mounted air-releases on the neck of the filler. But who trusts illustrations in manufacturers catalogues and box illustrations?

Yes, I know the flame ring is marked Primus, Sweden. It is a later addition.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

That's sad, George, losing your father at such an early age. My Dad died aged 60, which was way before the 'three score years and ten' too.

I can understand the emotional connection with the Optimus. My Dad's penknife has the same effect for me, the blade pared down from its original shape due to much sharpening.

John

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Great stove, George. Tender memories...

4. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Interesting that they announce the recessed filling hole for the No. 1 and even add an "S" to the the 45 and 48 model numbers, but don't follow suit for the No.5.

5. kerophile

Hi Peter, Optimus had just discontinued their Op 5S:or in the mid-fifties so the introduction of. No. 5S and No.1S only a few years later would have caused some confusion.
    Best Regards,
    George.

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Spiritburner

You will notice that the above post there is a random emoticon... One of the oddities of this new platform is that sometimes when you wish to use an apostrophe in the correct grammatical place, or some other grammar symbol, the site will assume that you're trying to make a smilie or some such.

Is there any way to fix this glitch?

Cheers

Tony

7. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Especially serious when Primus no. 5 senior comes out as Primus No. 5 S:or

8. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Hi George!

Yes, what is amazing when you go through the catalogues of the 20s and 30s is the sheer RANGE of products, many almost identical, that they manufactured. Then when you think that there must have been a dozen companies in Sweden (even in Stockholm!) alone manufacturing the same thing it indicates that there was a huge market at one time for these things,

Peter

9. kerophile

Hi Tony, you have got to smile when you mention the Senior range!

You are right about the production volumes:

10. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Nice way to keep memories of your dad alive! Great looking stove. Jerry

11. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

George, my own first stove was the same one, an Optimus 45L, and essentially the same vintage. My folks gave it to me as either a Christmas or birthday present (only a few weeks between the two in my case) in 1961 or '62.

The stove is long-lost, as I've said here before. But I have my fingers crossed that it just might show up in some old Scout photos when we have our meet with Jim Fredrickson next week, that I mentioned in my recent lounge thread.

Sad about your dad's death so young; I remember friends of my folks who died at such an age, not so uncommon among men back then.

12. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

@Tony Press @abbahco1 @kerophile That emoticon & I'm sure the rest too all use the same key combo's as the old site so it should have been the same there too I think! :0

I have now amended it so :o is replaced with : & 0 to give :0

Please let me know if you come across any others.

Thanks! :thumbup: