Optimus No:5

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Polybus, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Polybus

Polybus Australia Subscriber

G'day Guys,

I've got my first stove to restore - an Optimus No:5 - and its missing one piece.

Anyone know where I can get hold of a pump knob - ie: the small brass knob that screws on the end of the pump rod.

If anyone is interested in yet another photo of an Optimus No:5, let me know and I will post a picture of it - its pretty dirty at the moment and there are not many marking visible, but again - if anyone is interested in having a look, just let me know and I'll post a few photos - might be interesting so you can give me some kind of an idea about how old it is (not very is the answer I think).

Thanks.

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Polybus

We are always interested in photos here, and happy to help out with putting a date on a stove if we can.

You can get a spare pump knob from The Base Camp (UK), but someone here (an Aussie) might have one.

I’ll check if I’ve got one when I get back to Tasmania in few days.

Tony

3. Polybus

Great - thanks for that

I'll check with The Base Camp - but wait a while to see how you go when you get home - or if anyone on here has one they would be willing to let go.

And I'll post some pictures too

4. Lennart F Norway

In the meantime you can use a common nut, they use to have metric thread on swedish stoves.

5. Afterburner

If it's metric it should be M6. Local nut & bolt store might have various type of threaded knobs that work as substitute until you get proper oner: threaded knob nut - Google Search

6. Simes

Simes Subscriber

A nice ceramic one would make an interesting addition.

7. Afterburner

8. Polybus

Here are some photos of my new stove :)

I've tried to show whatever marking are currently visible.

If anyone would like different angles - please just let me know and I'll take/post them for you.

DSCN3644o.JPG DSCN3645.JPG DSCN3646.JPG DSCN3646o.JPG DSCN3647.JPG DSCN3648.JPG DSCN3649.JPG .

9. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Thank you for the photos, wonderful stove you have. That trivet is seldom seen in one piece, congrats.

10. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber SotM Winner

Hi @Polybus

Interesting stove. I reckon mid to late 1920s......

Have a look at this post and links:

Optimus No.5S - c1929

Also this example:

1920 Optimus No:5

@OMC Please comment on Bottom stamping on tank. Seems to fit into your proposed sequence...

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  11. Polybus

Hi Guys - thanks for your thoughts.

Well - that leaves me in a bit of a quandry.....

I thought - for no good reason - that the stove was fairly modern and of no real interest and/or value - so I thought it would be a good stove to restore as my first effort - ie: if I stuff it up it wouldn't really matter - but if this is actually from the 1920s - nearly 100 years old - then perhaps I should get something less "valuable" for my first attempt.

And by "valuable" I don't mean in the monetary sense - I mean in the historical/interest sense.

I was intending to clean it up, polish it within an inch of its life and lacquer it - but seeing as it has (to me anyway) real history, I am more likely to try and leave it with the original patina.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

12. Polybus

...or more likely - leave it on the shelf for a little while and get myself something less interesting to restore until I know what I'm doing.

13. Afterburner

You can wash dust & dirt out from brass parts with hand soap(liquid version) and soft sponge (also rubbing with hands works). That would not damage the surface and patina stays still there. Just keep sponge clean from any particles since they will cause 'micro scratches/marks' to the brass surface.

Loose dirt comes out from cast iron trivet if you brush it with tooth brush or similar type soft brush.

14. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

@Polybus , great advice there from @Afterburner .

It would also merit an entry in the Stove Reference Gallery, both these "before" and photos after a good scrub-up in mild soap. :thumbup:

Also, a vinegar bath and a light oil would clean the trivet up a treat and wouldn't be very aggressive.

Alec.

15. Polybus

I have never restored a Primus type stove before but I have restored other things.

Probably opening a can of worms here - but what do you guys think of cleaning up the trivet with things like Deox-C, or EvapoRust, or even electrolysis? I see many people here are keen on Citric Acid (if used with care). I have used Molasses with success as well - but never on Brass - same with Vinegar..... we fight a constant battle against rust!

I shall take some nicer photos and post them in the Stove Reference Gallery both before and after the clean up.

16. Afterburner

Cillit Bang (Cillit Bang - Wikipedia) again with soft sponge or by hand wash (warms bare hands so maybe it is/would be better to use some protective gloves) is more aggressive option and it 'semi-polishes' the brass surface (and it happens quickly). It's not as brass polishing substance, but it brings up brass colour. Cillit Bang removes patina (or leaves VERY light patina depending how patina is defined by 'observer') so if you want to leave most of the patina don't use Cillit Bang.

I use Cillit Bang for stoves that take into use(if stove is too dirty for soap wash). I am too lazy to polish stoves, but Cillit Bang gives decent a brass look for stoves (quickly :thumbup:).

17. Tony Press

@Polybus

If you can wait until Saturday, I can talk you through the options over the phone.

You’ve got a good stove there, easy(ish) to get going. Your real choice is whether you want to keep the patina, or make it ‘shiny new’.

The trivet is a real good find. You could use electrolysis, or a vinegar or citric acid bath. Don’t bother spending money on Evaporust (unless you’re thinking of doing a fair bit of de-rusting. The trick is to season it after you get the rust off.

Cheers

Tony

18. Polybus

Thanks Tony - I just might take you up on that offer - it would be good to pick your brains.

I've already got some Evaporust, and some Deox-C, and Molasses - I do a lot of work with rust - I restore old Stationary Engines - just branching out into stoves.

19. Tony Press

@Polybus

If you restore stationary engines you know most of what you need to know about stoves. It’s a matter of ‘matching knowledge’.

I’ll Send you a message when I work out where I’m supposed to be on Saturday.

Cheers

Tony