Optimus No:515

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by Diplomat, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Diplomat

Hi Folks:

I found an Optimus stove in my parents' barn attic, and I am wondering if anyone can ID it for me. There's no model number on it. Also, in all my browsing on the Internet, I cannot find any one place that tells me what fuel to use in this thing, how to start it, when to pump it, etc. I know I sound totally ignorant, but, hey, I just discovered this stove so any help is very much appreciated. Where do you find new gaskets for it? I've read that you should put new ones in on old stoves like this to make them work properly. Any links to get these? I'd love nothing more than to fire it up and sell it to an appreciative new owner that would give it a good home! :clap:

1413589533-Pic5.jpg 1413589525-Pic4.jpg 1413589516-Pic3.jpg 1413589507-Pic2.jpg 1413589498-Pic1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
  2. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

She looks like an Optimus 515. The fuel you want is kerosene, and for gaskets for fuel cap you want Viton rubber (1/16th") and make them yourself or buy from the web. Spiritburner sells kits (including gaskets for your burners if they need to be replaced, viton rubber pip for your NRV, leather pump cup for your pump) or buy individually that you'll need. Pump leather may be torn/ripped but if just dry, oil it up with sewing machine oil. Non Return Valve in her fuel pump may have a dried out cork pip or spring - one or both may need to be replaced if she leaks when under pressure (kerosene or air into the pump chamber).

Nice stove. After you fix her up and get her running you may want to keep it, then get more of the same...

3. bem1965

bem1965 Sweden Subscriber

Dear Diplomat,

I would love to have a multi burner stove like the one you have! I use a kerosene stove for melting lead, and it would be a lot more fun and faster with 5 roarer burners instead of one.
    Whatever you do, you ought to think through your situation before you start to fix the stove! Once you fire that beauty up and hear the mighty roar of the burners you will most likely be hooked for the rest of your life as a stovie. I started out looking for a stove with higher heat output than a spirit burner at a lower price than a propane furnace. Now I own a couple of dozen different kerosene and petrol stoves. And I am still looking fore more stoves. I could have bought that propane furnace and a lot of bullet molds for the money I have spent on stoves! So I have a lot of stoves and drink a lot of coffee and mostly shoot with my .22 lr instead of the .44 percussion revolver. But I am a happy stovie and keep my shooting skills up.

/Lars

4. Diplomat

Someone is going to have to explain the terminology here. I still need procedures for fueling, pumping, lighting it, etc. Anyone have this info for me? I sure would love to get this thing cranking up! Thanks.

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber