Optimus No:81

Discussion in 'Optimus No:81' started by logen, Dec 28, 2015.

1. logen

logen Norway Subscriber

I must have been a good boy this year, as my in-laws gave me their old Trapper for christmas. :lol:
    It is very well used. I guess they took it along on their camping trips in the late 80's early 90's, together with their very nice Bergans Krypinn tent.
    DSC_0220.JPG DSC_0221.JPG DSC_0224.JPG DSC_0226.JPG

Best regards,
    Vidar

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Great gift from your in-laws.
    I have never owned a Trapper, but have been impressed with them from the first time I saw one in operation.

3. orsoorso

orsoorso Subscriber

Best spirit stove ever built Period

4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Duel.png

;)

5. logen

logen Norway Subscriber

No fighting, gents! :)

I am looking forward to testing it, looks like a very well built kit. :thumbup:

6. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Hi Vidar,
    Are you going to keep the outsides of the pans almost as dirty as Spiritburner's kettle?:lol::lol:
    Regards,
    John

7. brassnipplekey

Interesting stove ....
    With a well used Trapper ..... I reckon the pans should turn a nice brown colour ......keep the windshield(upper part of stove) shiney inside... the pans dark..not sooty..outside.
    But I'd backpack a Ledmark//clas olsen/purple flame/Tor or Trangia first ... none of which you can play football with whilst alight.
    Optimus 81 (Trapper)... The classic camping footballers stove :-)
    Dont ask... It is /was late ... bed time... right foot volley ...passed right by the keeper... back of the net...conflagration .
    Nick

8. logen

logen Norway Subscriber

@Jeopardy Yes, I think I'll just wash it with some dish soap, and what doesn't come off will stay there! :lol:

@brassnipplekey Thanks for the advice and a good laugh :lol:
    I think I'll stick to my 8r for backpacking still! :thumbup:

Best regards,
    Vidar

9. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

Ross AKA @Spiritburner only has blackened Trangia pans because he really does most of his cooking on a wood fire, he really is a secret bushcrafter ;););).

Si

10. Etherman

Etherman Subscriber

Very nice to receive a fine gift from the in laws. Especially a stove and a tent. Sweet score!!

11. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Si !!!! Shhhhhhhh - it is a secret that only a few of us know about.

12. orsoorso

orsoorso Subscriber

Spiritbunrner,

I hold fast on my statement, BUT I am always glad to listen to reason that may make me change my mind.
    I do accept the duel challenge, please, give me good reasons for changing my statement.
    :content::content::content:

13. Wim

Wim Subscriber

:-k I think (mind, I said think! Can't be 100% sure but I think I'm close...) our good old Ross likes his Trangia's!:lol::lol::lol:

Beszt rearguards,

w!m

14. orsoorso

orsoorso Subscriber

Give me a Trangia that will boil 1 liter of water in 7.5 minutes, that goes from low simmer to blowtorch (almost) without burning my finger in the process, that will run more then an hour with one fill and I'll surrender.
    By the way, mini Trangia is always in my work backpack, and my most used stove, but 81 Trapper is a far superior piece of engineer ingenuity.
    Maybe somebody in a far future will merge an Origo and a Trangia, to make the definitive best of the best (spirit......ually speaking).

15. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Mini-Trangia - work of the devil.

16. logen

logen Norway Subscriber

I fired up the Trapper yesterday. And I was impressed with the adjustability. But on the other hand I have never owned a Trangia, so I don't know what I am missing there. I don't think I can choose side in the ongoing feud!:lol: @Spiritburner @orsoorso

17. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Hi Vidar,
    That's two posts recently that perfectly show that you can never know where things will and up. Thanks to the optimus catalog @Thumper put up here it's triggered a rush of them like London buses. (If you don't know the phrase it's said that you can wait for ages and the three turn up at once). There's 6 of them at last count ( @Spiritburner @Christer Carlsson and Thumper, I'm not complaining like I would be if I was waiting for a bus ... particularly if it was right now with storm Frank doing its best to push the Faroe Islands into Norway). Just shows that there's a lot more much appreciated knowledge out there that is still to be shared.
    Regards
    John

18. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, Vidar, and All,

We've been away, enjoying a lovely Christmas with our families, and have only just returned. I'm way behind here at CCS, and your post today is a fun one for me! I came to the Trangia Tribe a bit late, resisting their Siren Call for a good many years, after a very nasty experience with a poor alcohol fuel in my very first T25. I own, and dearly LOVE, several Optimus 81 Trapper stoves, and have used them for many of our adventures in the past. So far, other than really flimsy rubber O-rings on the "Safe Fill" device, I have no complaints about these wonderful stoves. They are easier to use, IMHO, than the Trangia stoves, IF you want to get a good simmer going, and I believe they are more powerful, to boot. We used one several times a day on our two-week, map and compass backpacking trip to Alaska, and it worked a treat, with no troubles at all, once I gave it the proper fuel. (I got the wrong kind of Heet for part of the trip, and it was most definitely nasty stuff, which made our food taste like..... well,....... very bad!!) On regular Meths, the 81 is a very hard stove to beat. Some complain about the weight, but to me, it's not a problem, and is well worth taking on just about any adventure you might consider. We've used ours in the hot and windy desert, and also whilst snow camping at 10,000 ft elevation, and the 81 has always come through wonderfully. Could I do the same things with a Trangia? Most certainly! But, as we actually COOK our meals on our chosen stove(s), we need ease of simmering, and the 81 offers that, in spades, whilst the Trangia is a bit more fiddly in that regard. Truth be told, when we take a Trangia, I swap out the regular burner, for a pop-can "White Box" Meths stove, which boils water very quickly. When it burns out, I replace it with the Trangia burner, setup for a good, very long simmer, and VOILA, works like a champ!!!

In any case, we love both the Trapper 81, and the Trangia Tribe, and either will do quite nicely! But, the 81 IS more powerful, and much more easy to adjust for simmering. For what it's worth. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

19. orsoorso

orsoorso Subscriber

Work of the devil? YES the same devil that stopped making the duossal, the only really outstanding piece of the lot. But when you spent a half of your life around volcanoes to steal their energy and put it to work (geothermal steam searcher geologist) you get used to some kind of demonology, and indeed it needs a bit of black magic to make the mini 28 work properly.
    And if you forget to wrap the nasty brass "burner" in something electrically insulating, it will galvanically corrode your pans.
    Not so with the genial 81 burner.
    OK, it takes the room for the kettle, but what can you do with an holed kettle except blaming yourself for forgetting that plastic wrap? (been there, done that).
    The only advantage is that you can get a Trangia in any (European) camping shop, but what you get today is just an expensive ghost of the real thing, they call it "UL" but I suspect it means ultra low production cost.
    Optimus, where are you? revive your 81, even an UL version, China produced, please, you can not leave all future generations of backpackers with the idea that there is only ONE industrial producer of spirit stoves.
    By the way, I discovered a really fine fuel for spirit stoves, it is marketed in Italy as "bioetanolo" its a kind of denatured ethanol sold for special "environment friendly" fireplaces, it is quite fairly priced (from 2 to 3 euros a liter) and it burns clean odorless and hot.
    It makes even Trangias almost acceptable, and of course, it works great in the best spirit stove ever built.
    Problems with safe filler oring? just wrap it with teflon plumber tape (not too much) and voilà, problem solved.

20. orsoorso

orsoorso Subscriber

Ok, peace and happy 2016 to everybody, even to Tr.... believers.
    But the 81 remains one of the best, a bit better than the others, at list