Optimus No:9 - Introduction

Discussion in 'Optimus No:9' started by Spiritburner, May 1, 2008.

1. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Pictures & information courtesy of A.B. Optimus

A Glimpse of our History - Optimus No:9 - Classical edition (from their 2000 catalogue)

The Optimus No:9 expedition stove from 1939 is just one example of the heritage that has influenced the design & features of our current product range. No:9 incorporates the ideas of versatility & ease-of-use that are behind the philosophy of NOVA*. The No:9 was a multifuel stove that burned gasoline, kerosene & other petroleum fuels without changing the burner jet. The simmering capability was excellent: output was controlled at the burner jet. Folded, the stove was easily packed within the format of a vacuum bottle. When opened to reveal the burner, the housing served as a windshield & pot support. The tank accommodated a combined filling lid & pump unit, basically in the same way as on expedition stoves today.
    *new model in 2000

1209777478-no9open3.jpg

1209777487-no9closed2.jpg

The above stove is marked HALMIA on top of the tank plus Made in Sweden - Patent. The burner & controller knob shaft are marked Optimus.

The original patent document is here
    ---------------------------

There are four variants I know of. The model mentioned in the above article from the 1939 catalogue is different to the model in the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2019
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

The 1939 catalogue is now on the site in it's entirety & the No:9 features in this section on the last page.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. angleofdangle

That is such a neat stove ! The design is so modern that its hard to believe it dates from 1939. As Ross says you can certainly see that it is the ancestor and inspiration for a lot of much more recent stoves.

Best Regards,
    Alan

4. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

The No. 9 truly is an engineering marvel. I suspect when it was introduced the stove would have looked space age at the time. I wonder if this stove would sell today if were to be reintroduced?

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, Guys,

Back when I was first getting into stoves, I had the chance to buy one for just $20!! But, to my uneducated eye, it looked "incomplete"! Where was the square box?? All good stoves had square boxes, back then, didn't they???? Well, after the seller would not negotiate his price, I sanctimoniously told him that I would not buy this "parts stove" for $20, as that was much too high, for what it was! I walked away, with an aire of someone who knew about whence he spoke....... and, I've regretted it ever since them!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :roll: :frown:

I do think that, one day, I'll get another chance, just as all of you will get a chance, IF you take the time to get out and look for one!!! The chances are greatly improved, by such actions, even though it may take many, many years of hunting before you find "your" Optimus #9!! For me, the hunt continues, and happily so!! Best of luck to one and all, in their own "Holy Grail Hunt"!! :clap: :clap: 8) :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. bark2much

I feel your pain, Doc. I am certain you'll find a great specimen, right after I do mine.

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, B2M,

The last "specimen" I saw, was in a plastic cup, and I noted it was all yellow, with foam on the top..... as I handed it to the Nurse!!! :shock: :shock: ;) :lol: :lol: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc