Optimus No:96L late 1920's

Discussion in 'Optimus No:96' started by Spiritburner, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Recent threads re tin restoration prompted me to dig this one out to fettle & photo.
    I've dated it late 1920's. The 96 didn't appear in the Optimus range until at least 1925 - ie it doesn't feature in their 1924 catalogue & by 1929 the graphics had changed.

The outside of the tin on this had been painted with blue gloss paint by a previous owner. They also painted the spirit can & spanner black. I was not aware of the graphics underneath when I got it & decided to use paint remover to take it back to the bare metal. After leaving the remover to act I started to remove the blistered & flaking paint to reveal the graphics underneath. I quickly rinsed the paint remover off under cold running water & fortunately the graphics remained in place. At the time, around 12 years ago, this was the first time I'd seen these graphics. We now have a few examples in the gallery.
    The pump knob is stamped with letter Z. The underside of the tank with the letter L. I don't know the significance of these letters.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 004a.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

The master at work, with an impeccable write-up, photos and - not least - a belting stove, box and restoration.

Incredible good fortune and no little skill to have revealed and preserved the original finish on the box without the stripper taking that off as well.

John

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Great save, thanks for posting.
    Duane

4. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Really nice camera work also.
    Thanks Ross, Ivan

5. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

Love it!