Optimus Nova (Brunton) Pump Washer

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Mark jolly, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Mark jolly

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum so apologies if I am posting in the wrong place or omit certain information that you might need in order to assist me.

I recently purchased a new, smaller fuel bottle for my stove (Optimas Nova - Brunton model), but when I connected the pump I realised that unlike my old fuel bottle there was no washer stuck to the rim of this one.

I have scowered this forum and have come close to the answer, but not quite - hence this post.

Upon closer inspection I am wondering if the pump should in fact have the washer and not the bottle. Maybe it just fused to the old one over time (bought second hand).

The red bottle is the old - you can see the washer.

Green bottle is the new - no washer.

2 questions:
    -Should the washer be on the bottle or pump underside?
    -What kind of washer would suffice given this is a pressurised bottle (something special)?

I got some good advice from this website previously about lubricating the connection. I thought my stove was a gonner! IMG_20200627_123216.jpg

Thanks,
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. Hazet

The washer is supposed to be on the pump.
    The original gasket has a square profile, and seats in a machined channel in the pump.
    That being said, and I know this is going to bother some people here, I have used (thick) nitrile o-rings for this application (round profile). It squishes just fine when the pump is installed into the bottle, and I have never had an issue, but some people do not like using round o-rings for this particular seal. I also realize that that it needs to be checked often and replaced when it shows any signs of cracking or damage. I also carry two or three spares at all times. A viton o-ring, or making a proper square profile gasket out of viton could be a better option.
    I also think that it depends on the sealing "lip" of the bottle. MSR bottles seem to be machined (tapered) for sealing an o-ring. My older Sigg and Brunton bottles are "flat" at the top, hence the flat profile gasket originally. I am not sure what style seal the current Optimus bottles are designed to use, looks kinda flat in your pic. What style gasket does the bottle cap use?

NOS pump with original gasket:
    IMG_3459.JPG
    Notice the squared off cross section of the gasket:
    IMG_3460.JPG
    Machined channel in the pump:
    IMG_3461.JPG

3. afoton

The washer should follow the pump, so you already have it. Just remove it from the red bottle.

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Great topic. I was looking at mine the other day and want to get some gaskets.
    Looking at the Nova Parts Kit it runs about 25 USD and has this gasket and other parts to fettle the Nova (and others).
    I have one spare parts kit and 3 Nova stoves. (Bet you can't eat just one.)

Note, the bottle cap also has a gasket.

5. Mark jolly

Thanks for the info and advice, all very useful and indeed answers my initial questions. I can see the recess on the pump where the gasket should go.

I can't use the one from the red bottle because it is not in good condition and I suspect I would damage it trying to remove.

Good shout using the one from the new bottle cap though. I've attached a pic for reference. I can use my Sigg cap for storing the fuel without the pump. Not sure it will work but can try.

Attached Files:

6. Mark jolly

Update (pics attached). Seems like a good fit. What do you guys think, job well done or consider another option?

As an aside, I don't want to have to buy a new Optimus bottle everytime I want to replace the gasket haha, do you know of a spares kit for this stove?

Thanks again.
    Mark

Attached Files:

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

9. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner Subscriber

Both kits are absolutely still made, so it must be Amazon (or the dealer listing on Amazon) that is sold out at the moment.

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Thank you.

11. Mark jolly

Cheers guys. How do I know which one I need for my stove?

12. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

The light version has less parts.
    Look to see if you need the full kit. NRV, flame plate, etc.

13. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

The rubber gasket from Primus for the metals pumps works as well. You used to be able to buy them on ebay from S$H in bags of 5 i believe.

Mike

14. William Ritchie

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I prefer flat even though orings work.

16. William Ritchie

The description in the link says rings , theses are indeed Square Profile o rings as depicted in the photos of the pump . The are produced in several different materials with different durometer specification .