Optimus Nova+, nice but.....

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by davidcolter, Aug 14, 2010.

1. davidcolter

IMG_20100814_165024.jpg

I have treated myself to a new Nova+ and I have to say, it and I got off to a very rocky start.

Out of the box, it didnt work at all. I spat my dummy out and was all for returning it unfired for a refund. After I had calmed down a bit with a brew from my MSR, which I made the Optimus sit there and watch to make it jealous, I put my stovie hat on and went back to the green refusenik.

Some paraffin soaked fault finding revealed that it would blow air when the bottle was inverted but when right way up there was a very weak delivery of liquid fuel. I remembered past threads here saying that the fuel filter can cause this problem so I binned it and now the stove is firing perfectly.

I love the simmer control by turning the hose, its very simple and works well. The simmer doesnt go particularly low, down to half or one third power maybe.

The hose connector mechanism isnt great. You need to get the rotating locking collar in the right position (its like an inside out BNC coax cable connector, if you know those) and then shove in fairly hard to overcome the spring pressure of the safety valve in the pump, while twisting the collar to lock it.

The o-ring on the hose end has been shredded by my first attempts at mastering this process. I am not impressed by this. Autocircumcision is something I never want to see, especially in a pressurized fuel appliance. I will replace it with one of the spares and hope it survives.

The magnetic cleaning needle is a little piece of genius and doesnt kill the flame when you use it.

I like the extensive use of metal in the pump.

I am lighting it with a splash of meths followed immediately by a squirt of paraffin. There is a thick wick pad below the burner that keeps things civilized during the preheating process. It controls flare-ups well even with quite large amounts of liquid fuel being dumped into the burner.

There is no indication of when the burner is hot enough, you just have to leave it for a bit and give a quick tweak of the hose-valve now and again to see what comes out. Easy stuff.

The burner is very stable with wide legs that have flat feet bent over at the end. The pot supports are wide and stable.

I love, absolutely love, the flip to purge the fuel line and depressurise the bottle. The rubber end caps cover everything up and make the whole break-down clean and easy.

Incidentally, the meal pictured above is a microwave curry and rice that I slopped together into the same pan with some water to make it more stirrable. I could have done with a lower simmer level because it was still needing constant stirring but it cooked through well and was as edible as such things are.

On balance I like the Nova+ more as I use it, but I need to resolve the fuel filter and o-ring shredding issues before I give it a proper thumbs up :roll: :-k :?

2. RonPH

Lovely new stove.............drool! Saving up to get one too!

Ron

3. algentry1

algentry1 Subscriber

Hi,

The first stove I bought when I became a stove addict upon entering the stovie world, was one of these. (Nova +) The repair kit has some lube u can use on the O rings, and the pump leather. My connector just clicks in place, no twisting or aligning, no muss no fuss.
    First time I used it? If my patio wasn't concrete, I would've burnt my house down. I bought another (stove, not house) in case there's ever a world economic crash resulting in a Nova + shortage. Can't be too careful you know.. :whistle:
    I recently bought a regular Nova, which is a Dandy also. :content:

Al in Oklahoma

4. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

i wouldn't bother Ron
    i can't wait to ditch all my nova's they will be on the bay over the next few weeks as they are a bag of shite [best paul calf voice needed there]
    it will be ok if you only feed them clean colemans but anything less than perfect fuel and they keel over and die in minutes
    btw i sold both nomads and both my hiker+'s for the same reason they are crap on anything but perfect fuel
    i use the same fuel in my other stoves no problem what so ever and i always filter it

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Riddarn

Hi Guys..
    I see there are different opinions about the Nova+.

I bought my Nova + after "just" being a Trangia Stovie for about 30+ years,
    and after some getting used to it, it has never dissapointed me..

I have tested some sorts of fuel in it, except cooking oil and jet fuel..

Petrol "check"
    Kerosene "check"
    Lamp oil "check"
    Diesel fuel "check"
    Rapeseed oil "check"
    White spirit "check"
    Optimus arctic fuel "check"
    Lighter fluid "check"

All of these fuels have worked, done the job
    some with more and some with a little less BTU,
    but have been workable.

I like the small format, and that you can connect
    almost any kind of fuelbottle to it, as long as the threads match.
    I have three different brands of fuelbottles that I use, ranging from expensive "optimus nova bottles"
    to cheap grocery store aluminiumbottles

You have to be gentle though with the connections
    but when You have befriended the stove it will be a fine friend for many years.

Best regards

Uffe

6. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

well i had just rebuilt the one i used tonight then i cooked some scampy with it and it lasted that long before dying again, like i said clean fuel fine but ANY contamination and the filters block in seconds
    i would never take them anywhere where i am not 100% certain of getting sparkling clean fuel
    the surface area of the filters is to small and the filter it self is to fine and clogs with stuff any other stove would cope with

btw the fuel i ran it on is from the same fuel can i have been using in my 96's with out a care in the world and i haven't pricked a jet once
    the dirt in the fuel is microscopic but it is enough to coat and block the nova filter but not a 96 jet

i think i have 5 different Nova's :-k though i'm sure i have another somewhere
    if anyone wants one i'll happily trade as i am totally disillusioned with them

7. davidcolter

Mine flat out didn't work with the filter in place. I binned it. It was basically solid. I might replace it with some cotton wool.

8. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi David
    i didn't mean to put you off your new stove i wanted one for ages then there was a spate of cheap ones a while ago so i grabbed them as and when i could
    i know Andy had probs with his and he used a bit of felt,
    i might try that as it's only the filter/restrictor that seems to be a problem but when it clogs bang goes your dinner and after just rebuilding and using it tonight i was a bit hacked off when it went again
    of the nova's i prefer the mova+ it's the easiest one to mod for other stoves i had mine set up in a trangia adaptor and it was awesome when working in a meta 50, but those bloody mouse tampons are useless,
    I've lost count of the amount i have replaced

i know some will think it's self induced and i should use sparkling clean fuel all the time but it's meant to be an expedition type stove so should be able to handle a drop of less than perfect fuel once in a while

atb Bill

9. theyellowdog

Rolled up cotton works really well as a filter, better than felt in my experience.
    Would like to try the nova plus, looks like a great stove to me. I have modified my nova to run better with the silent cap. It is now hands down my best stove.

Dan

10. Knight84

I have tried to mod a chainsaw fuel filter but most of those are too big to fit down with the pump.

Jeff

11. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Best thing about the Nova is the windshield/legs/pot-support arrangement.
    Stick the guts of an Omnifuel into a Nova's legs and you have a compact little unit that burns just about anything,

1281856084-Omnova1.JPG

1281856097-Omnova2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  12. davidcolter

I would have gone with the Primus Omni but manual pricking put me off. Preheating with paraffin generates so much soot that an internal pricker is a real benefit. Plus, you cant lose it!

13. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi Ian
    what's the flame spreader from ?
    on the omnifuel that i used to have the spreader looked more like something Ingrid should wear as a thong to go with her silent cap bikini :D

14. Ian

Ian Subscriber

I think it came off a varifuel. I was stuck for a biggish 3-legged spreader plate to go on a stove for disposal and the Omni's fit so off it went. Fortunately the 4-legger works fine. By the by I may get round to replacing it w/ the real thing, if I remember to order one.

15. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Mmmm, OK, never used a Nova +. But I have a bog standard Nova, and a Nomad, and neither has ever missed a beat. Never had to clean the filter either. Wonder if it's just been pure luck or whether the specs of some parts changed over time :-k

But I've only ever used my Omnifuel once - straight out the box it had the kero jet problem where the flame burns off to one side and leaves everything sooted up - I notice other people have had that issue as well. So my Onmifuel went back into the box and hasn't reappeared since. As others have had the same issue I can't be bothered to order get a new kero jet in case I have the same problem. Probably totally irrational but like some people's experience with their Novas I felt it should have worked perfect first time, but it didn't, so I can't be bothered with it - yet I know others swear by them which is why I bought one in the first place.

Strange how we get different experiences when using what is supposedly the same kit, and how that guides likes and dislikes!

16. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I wasn't sure if you meant a lop-sided jet stream with that comment Graham, but I tracked down your original post and it looks like you're referring to a little jet of flame emerging from the jet/burner housing join. (Need to View Entire Topic)

https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/151882

If that's the case, it's something I've experienced with my Omnifuel too on changing to a liquid fuel jet from the LPG one, but not the other way around. Solution was to screw the jet that bit tighter - without nearing a thread-stripping torque level of course (no, I don't use a torque wrench on stoves, just a judgement thing!)

John

17. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi John,

OK - worth a try. I can't remember if it came with the kero jet already installed or if I changed it. Wouldn't be the first time this user has experienced user error!

Cheers, Graham.

18. SNOWGOOSE

This really does surprise me as the use of a pricker is, in my experience, a rare event!

Why on earth pre-heat with paraffin??? I always pre-heat with meths, regardless of whether I am using paraffin or petrol...no flare, no soot and and very efficient priming.

Cheers,

Rob

19. steve coomber

hi snowgoose seen you in another forum but agree that preheating works well. my 8r works better preheated and the tilley cs56 i pre heat twice with a tilley preheater then it burns better than anything else.

20. davidcolter

Here is an interesting piece of information seen on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OPTIMUS-NOVA-PUMP-FULL-REPAIR-MAINTENANCE-KIT-/110573377652

I preheat with paraffin from the burner to preserve meths. I just use the meths to get the paraffin lit. I will get many more lightings out of a given amount of meths that way.

I had a very odd flame pattern out of my MSR when I first got it. It looked like gas was escaping from the side of the jet. I scrubbed a lot of carbon crud from the jet and took it out as well, so it could have been either thing that fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015