Optimus Nova T80 with CEJN Couplings

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by Retro Camper, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

I've just obtained a Nova T80 from a well known auction site and I am delighted with it so far (not actually fired it up yet). It dates I would say from 2002-2005 and comes with the magnetic tool (which I forgot to photograph). One of the last Optimus stoves to be made in Sweden I believe. The packaging and stove are in such good condition that I suspect I bought it from a fellow member on this site, if you are looking in then thank you for making available such a good example. The observant will see a hex nut on the base, which has been said to be a problem but it looks fine at the moment. As this has the magnetic needle, rather than the shaker then I assume this is the second production version of the T80. Once I have fired it up I will post some shots. Apologies for the poor quality of some of the photos here, I was trying not to use a flash. I have shown a lot of the packaging because I love the amount of text they put on it. DSCF2990.jpg DSCF2992.jpg DSCF2996.jpg DSCF2997.jpg DSCF2998.JPG DSCF2999.JPG DSCF3001.JPG DSCF3002.jpg DSCF3007.jpg DSCF3009.jpg DSCF3014.jpg DSCF3016.jpg DSCF3017.jpg DSCF3019.JPG DSCF3025.JPG DSCF3027.jpg DSCF3028.jpg DSCF3029.jpg DSCF3030.JPG DSCF3034.JPG DSCF3039.jpg DSCF3041.jpg DSCF3043.jpg DSCF3046.JPG DSCF3048.JPG DSCF3052.JPG DSCF3056.jpg

2. Afterburner

3. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Retro Camper ,
    Congratulations to a great catch, the stove looks hardly used. If the priming wick has no burn marks, then (unless someone replaced it) possibly all use it has seen is the test burning on propane that was done on every burner in the production.

The hex nut was replaced with the larger round brass nut during 2004. The magnetic needle was introduced late 2000, so that is the time span of your stove.

For info all Novas (and Nova+) with Cejn connectors were made in Sweden, also those with the never green and black styling. Swedish production was phased out around 2008.

Hope it fires up nicely!

Edit: The packaging has the Backbackers Editors Choice award logo. This award was announced spring 2001, so the stove is made earliest later in that year.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  4. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

Thanks Staffan, your inside knowledge of Optimus is really appreciated. I have had a look at the valve spindle and it looks like kerosene has been used, but the appearance of the rest of the stove suggests not for some time. The jet is tightly screwed in and I think I probably need to heat the stove up to loosen it. When I move the magnet under the burner should I see the needle pop up? At the moment I don't see anything happen.

5. Staffan Rönn

Thanks @Retro Camper . You should see the needle rise through the jet orifice when operating it. Maybe it's stuck in some fuel residue.

6. theyellowdog

@Staffan Rönn that is interesting, I did not know that there was a nova that did not have the magnetic cleaning needle.

7. Afterburner

Magnet on multitool is for the cleaning needle.

8. afoton

My Nova (bought 2000) has a needle that is driven by gravity, just turn the burner upside down. It has works flawless all the years. I have heard about the magnetic needle, but I have never understood how it works.

Is the 8th picture a key for the earliest date of that particular packaging?

9. Staffan Rönn

First Novas, delivered between May 2000 and some time late that year did not have the "magic"magnetic cleaning needle. These were only sold in Europe if I remember correctly, mainly in Scandinavia. As @afoton describes it had a free floating gravity operated needle. I have one of the earliest stoves somewhere in my secret stash. Should dig it out and post it one day.

Well spotted also on the packaging, this could very well be a date when graphics was approved or similar.

10. Afterburner

@afoton Multitool has strong magnet and needle has piece of magnet also. When multitool is moved under the stove magnetic field moves needle up and down. Stove body is stainless and burner is made of brass do they don't interfere the operations since they are paramagnetic materials.

11. afoton

Do @Retro Camper have a picture of the multitool? That must obvious look diferent than the one I have.

Looks like I have to take some pictures of my Nova and post them in the gallery some day.

12. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

Hi @afoton. Photos below. The tool is slightly different to the one that is shown on the instructions with my stove. There isn't a bottle opener or slot for adjusting the stove legs (as instructions) but on my tool there is another slot. After application of some heat and PlusGas I have got the cleaning needle to work but still can't loosen the nut. The PlusGas might work on it overnight. The needle is still a bit sticky so I do need to get in there and give it all a clean. Hoping to fire it up this weekend and a bit of use may well sort it out. IMG_9782.jpg IMG_9783.jpg IMG_9787.jpg

13. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

I didn’t realize the tool on my nova was “magic”:roll:

14. Staffan Rönn

The "magic" cleaning needle and tool was in our view a very appropriate short word form for MAGnetIC. Doing demos back in the days was quite fun as not many people would intuitively understand how the magic worked. ;)