Optimus Pakaway Oven

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by Zincman, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Zincman

Maybe this should be in the stove gallery?
    I found this leaning against the front wheel of the Pembleton this morning. My neighbour is moving his shedfull and he knows my pecadillos...
    It's unfired but what do I do? I want to try making bread in it but then it won't be unfired....

1281537073-IMG_3231_opt.jpg

1281537117-IMG_3232_opt.jpg

2. -/-

Ship it to me, i have no problems firing it up :lol:

3. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Zincman,

It's very simple - you don't fire up an oven such as that, you merely use it.

So I'd say decision made........ :lol:

Cheers, Graham.

4. anlrolfe

Reminds me of an add I saw recently.

"Coleman camp oven, works great."

Whats to work?? Its a folding box.

Put it on one of your old work horses and let 'er rip. Its sat in a shed too long. Get some use out of it.

The only reservation I've even had about these ovens is weather or not your baked goods could taste of unburned fuel.

Any opinions??

AR

5. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

It looks much like the Coleman; should work well.

There is no issue with these ovens of baked goods "tasting of unburned fuel", first and foremost because with a properly working stove, there is no unburned fuel. We've baked in the Coleman oven countless time with great results.

6. hoodie

It looks just like the Coleman Oven (minus the gauge) I won one back in July on eBay but it never arrived I emailed three times then requested the phone number of the seller but it was disconnected :evil: . I got in contact with another buyer who left a bad review and they also did not get shipped. The link is for the seller I think they passed or something :( …disappointing was hoping to take it on my Provincial Park camping trip next week and make biscuits for breakfast like I saw in one of the threads.

http://myworld.ebay.ca/hedgehog_heights_whimsy*farm/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. Zincman

Thanks, those are the sort of answers I wanted. Now to make some dough and if it works (or not) I'll post some pics.

8. ted

What good is a virgin in a tower? She's only good for rescuing! I doubt any remained virgins afterward. Having said that, I still wouldn't use it. I'd keep it in tact.

9. Ed Winskill

I don't believe our concept of "unfired" should really extend to an oven-- it's just sheet metal without its own engine....

10. Jim Henderson

One caveat. DO burn it in first before baking anything.

The first firing will burn out any production oils, paint fumes etc. If you try to bake on the first firing, you will get some odd tastes.

After that bake anything you normally would bake in an oven. Maybe an exception would be anything that splatters oil. Might catch fire??

Covering the top with a sheet of aluminum foil will greatly help with temperatur stability.

Assuming the Optimus oven is steel, you will get some rust over time, but not horribly so. My Coleman is circa 1975ish and looks relatively decent, with most of the paint intact.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

11. -/-

As i said ship it to me!
    If you want to keep it prestine then take some photos, you dont need the real thing if you dont want to use it 1281547198-You_wish.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  12. Zincman

I was thinking of putting a layer of rock-wool on the top to try to insulate it a bit.

13. Ed Winskill

Not necessary; too elaborate, I think. With the similar Coleman, a piece of aluminum foil is all that's needed. It's easy to get it hot enough for baking.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  14. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Why don't you use it as a pattern and make a copy. Then you can use the copy to make authentic camp-oven bread (not that its really any different to household-domestic-oven bread) whilst maintaining the Optimus oven's shiny newness.

15. Zincman

Nice idea Ian but I've got enough sh*t to shovel at the moment!
    Seriously though, I did think of that but you know how it is, ideas are quick and easy, doing it is more time consuming than you think it will be.

16. Jim Henderson

You could always buy a used one if unfired is important to you. They aren't terribly expensive.

The Colemans are easy to find, don't know about Optimus but I assume easy in Europe.

Good Luck, tell us how the bread turns out.

Jim Henderson

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

@Zincman ,

Duncan,

If you're around, could you tell us is there was any dating information on this Optimus 336 oven, please? I'm wondering if Optimus got Coleman to manufacture it, or if Coleman licensed Optimus to do so, and when? Very interesting oven, and one just like it (if not this exactly oven!), recently sold on eBay, in the UK. Was it this one? Thanks, my friend, and I hope all is well with you and yours, and that you are happy and healthy!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - after a tad of comparison, I do think the two ovens are one and the same, FWIW.

OPTIMUS PACKAWAY OVEN NO 336 IN ORIGINAL BOX CAMPING STOVE EQUIPMENT Optimus | Oxfam GB | Oxfam’s Online Shop

18. DaveC

DaveC Subscriber

It is meant to used - use and enjoy it. Having said that I have a couple of stoves in their boxes....never been used. Now do I fire them up.....?

19. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

It is not a bad thing to have unfired stoves.
    In This Thread I had to quickly fire up a stove and setup an oven to finish bread that was ready to bake. I realized it was a very old unused oven. Oh well 'say la vee'. If given the choice I would rather have had a choice.

Ken in NC