Optimus "Patent" 00 - 1930-1940?

Discussion in 'Optimus No:00' started by Doc Mark, May 9, 2013.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

I think I've posted photos of this stove before, but not in the Reference Gallery, if memory serves. I found this Old Timer back in 1989, at a street sale/swap meet, when the whole town of White Cloud, Missouri set up tables and laid out things to sell, all over town! I saw lots of rifles and shotguns, perfect for hunting, but the thing that caught my eye was an old stove tin!! Had a stove in it, too! Turned out to be an Optimus "Patent" 00, and in very nice condition, too. Here is what I found:

1368130154-DSCN1504.JPG

Note the paper-wrapped spirit tin. Looks like a factory wrap, and when I unwrapped it, the colorful label was in outstanding condition, like it had never been used! Cool!

1368130241-DSCN1505.JPG

1368130268-DSCN1506.JPG

1368130288-DSCN1507.JPG

1368130308-DSCN1508.JPG

1368130328-DSCN1509.JPG

1368130352-DSCN1510.JPG

1368130380-DSCN1511.JPG

1368130960-DSCN1512.JPG

1368131040-DSCN1513.JPG

1368131058-DSCN1514.JPG

1368131103-DSCN1515.JPG

1368131126-DSCN1516.JPG

1368131152-DSCN1517.JPG

So, there you have it, Mates! I love this old Optimus, and it burns very well, indeed! I also got the original wrench, too, but somehow it did not make it into the photos. It's in the tin, so I have no idea how I managed to leave it out. Oh, yeah, and the price for this old Optimus "Patent" 00? Well, it was quite high, indeed: $17.00!! ;) [-o< [-o< [-o< :D/ :D/ :D :D

As I wrote to a fellow Stovie recently, "You never know WHERE you are going to strike stove pay dirt"!! Thanks for checking out my old Optimus "Patent" Model 00! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Perfectly presented classic Doc.

John

3. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Great piccies Mark. I love that almost gothic style script that they used. What is the little depression in the spirit cup for?

Terry

4. Rick b

Very nice Doc. The tin is very cool, and Terry is right, the graphics are much heavier or deeper on the older stoves love the patina. Terry, the dimple gives that little bit xtra for the prime. There are a few different post regarding the dimples spirt cup-heres one - https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  5. Tracer

Tracer Subscriber

Very nice stove!
    I like the way the lid secures,never seen this type before.

Thanks for sharing!

6. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Doc

A nice stove but I am not certain that the tin actually belongs to the stove. I am not saying that it does not merely that there is a discrepancy between the tin and stove tank.

In 1908 Optimus moved from Stockholm to Upplands Vasby. However they continued to mark their stoves as having been made in Stockholm. There are two possible explanations for this. Optimus sales office stayed in Stockholm for some time after the factory move. There may not have been a post office at Upplands Vasby so the correct Upplands Vasby postal address may have been still Stockholm. Your tank is marked Stockholm but your tin is marked Upplands Vasby. Whilst it is possible the stove may have been put in the tin later it is also possible that the outfit was produced when Optimus changed their address to Upplands Vasby i.e. the tank was made before the change and the tin made after the change and the two parts being brought together in the factory. This alteration of address happened at some time in the mid 1930s

There are two items on the patent stoves which appear to have been made in the Lux factory which Optimus bought in 1914. The dimpled spirit cup was a Lux design. The legs on your stove also appear to be Lux legs. It appears that legs and spirit cups were either made in the ex Lux factory and sent to the Optimus factory to be assembled on stoves OR the ex Lux machines were used in the Optimus factory to make the parts.

There are patent OO stoves that are marked as being made in Upplands Vasby but they are uncommon and I think that they were fitted with Optimus legs although I am not certain of that as all I have for reference is this item Link

I put some information about the patent 00s HERE however whilst I thought it was correct when I put it on I have not checked that it is still correct

I think that your stove dates from somewhere close to 1930. It is definitely not from the 1940s as Optimus had removed Patent from the tank at some time in the 1930s

Regards Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

Thanks for sharing Doc.
    I bet that Missouri sale was a fun one.You have done well in both Alaska and Missouri both wonderfull states

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Bryan, and All,

Many thanks for the kind comments about the Patent 00. When I found it, and especially at the price, my heart forgot all about the tons of rifles and shotguns being offered in that interesting sale!

Bryan, I have enjoyed your continuing information about many things stove-related, including your research and comments on the Optimus Patent 00! You are a true treasure for all Stovies, here at CCS, and your own love and enjoyment of stoves, and information about them, is easy to see, and VERY much appreciated!!

As the tin that I have, came with the stove, and I did not ask the owner about it, I appreciate your thoughts on how the tin/tank combination might have come to be. Such info is, indeed, not only interesting, and sometimes quite perplexing!! I am thinking about taking this old 00 out camping, next time we go, and will enjoy seeing it doing what it was designed to do, once again. However, I will more than likely leave the tin and spirit can at home, as I don't want to damage them in any way. Thank you, once again, for all the great work you share with us here, Bryan!! Besides the friendship and brotherhood to be found here, both very important and enjoyable gifts, information like you share is the main reason that I have been a member of CCS for so many years!! This place is, quite simply, THE place to research and learn about the old stoves we all love so much!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. RonPH

Doc, outstanding picture of the stove :thumbup: and yeah as you mentioned, just look around and you will find something good...pricewise...depends on your haggling skills :lol:

Ron

10. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Terry

The depression in the spirit cup was for the spirit remaining in it to stay alight after the main spirits had burnt out. In theory when you pressurised the stove it ignited from the spirit still burning in the depression

Regards Bryan

11. KasperDD

I'm so happy to see this page, as I have just found an Optimus Patent 00 in the exact same casing as this thread started with - All the pictures could be my stove exactly!

So it is wonderful information to get about my stove. thank you very much.

Oh, by the way - It works perfectly!

I found it among my grandfathers things - He died in 1978 an old man, born early this century, can't remember when exactly. In his youth, 1920's to late 40's, he rode his old 1916 Harley Davidson with sidewagon with his family - including my mom, still alive 72 years old (born 1941). I'm sure he had this stove with him camping. Wonderful to find that me guess of after 1900 and before 1940 is about right.

Since I have the Upplands-Väsby sign in the tin can but the Aktiebolaget Optimus, Stockholm, Made in Sweden on the tank, it must be after 1908 and even the dimble making it after 1914 and before 1930, as I understand. Great information.

Thank you so much!

Kasper, Copenhagen, Denmark

PS: I could not add more to the pictures of the Optimus, however in the tin I also found this, unlikely to be an Optimus invention, corkscrew, in the tin, that I would like to share with you, just for fun.

12. Afterburner

I just received same looking Optimus 00. Same tin, same kind of windshield, dimple in spirit cup... I have to clean it and look it for more details. 8-[