Optimus/Primus 96 windshield

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by olive, Oct 17, 2020 at 12:03 AM.

1. olive

Hello. I was wondering if any year of the Optimus 96s that were made and distributed by the factory without the windshield/screen included? I sometimes see many of the Optimus 96 for sale(usually ebay) without one provided. Its hard to believe so many stoves in the tin would have a lost or discarded windscreen/shield. Is priming the 96 tough without it? thank you

2. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Hi Olive, welcome to CCS.

@hikerduane Is our expert on the 96.

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

No expert here, I just have more than most. Our expert passed away unfortunately.
    Duane

4. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

I am certainly no expert but think there were two packages offered:- the 96L (Lada i.e. in a tin box) and the 96K (Karton i.e. in a cardboard box). The K models were cheaper but did not come with a tin box (obviously) and nor did they have the windshield.
    As they were less expensive, it is quite likely that more of them were sold.
    Although the shield is quite a clever design, I have never really liked it as it pirouettes around on its little wire legs, especially as you try to pump pressure into the stove. A larger shield, even light cloth on sticks around the whole stove, would not suffer from this drawback. A suitably sized tin dropped over the burner would be effective but take up slightly more room in one's pack.
    Dean

5. olive

Thank you all for the info. I asked because I found an Optimus 96 without a windshield, but it came in the metal wire handled turquois optimus earth photo tin. It has the threaded stud on tank for the cap and the thick cast burner plate with thin optimus name stamped on it and a little #5 stamped on the opposite side of plate. Folding feet as well. The instruction and promo paper that came with it shows no windshield, nor mentions of it. No spirit tin, just a few old jet pricks in the paper cover. The instructions do have a photo of the Optimus 100 and 200 including the optional silencer for it. I'm guessing this is from the mid 60s, but not sure. I'll probably make a brass windshield for it, but I'll have to figure out how to make one collapsible that can fit in the tin for storage.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 4:17 PM
  6. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

An Optimus one I have here is made of steel plate and steel wire legs, which also act as hinge pins.
    Hinge/Leg pins are 83mm / 3 1/4" long and the rod has a diameter of 1mm
    3 panels are 66mm / 2 5/8" tall.
    Widths vary from
    Right 77mm / 3" flat plate plus 2 x rolling round the hinge pin allowance
    Centre 80mm / 3 3/16" flat plate plus 2 x rolling round the hinge pin allowance
    Left 87mm / 3 3/8" flat plate plus 6mm / 1/4" return clip and 1 x rolling round the hinge pin allowance
    Hinge sections from the top are at 16mm and 49mm down
    Its the kind of thing that might be better in a diagram!
    Steel might be better than brass sheet, although brass might be easier to work.

Dean

7. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

8. LollyKat

LollyKat United Kingdom Subscriber

When I bought a 96 in the 1970s for backpacking and cycle camping I soon threw out the windshield - it was heavy, ugly and awkward to pack (I only used the tin for storage). Instead I used a few layers of cooking foil and some paper clips to make a long-lasting, featherweight shield that took up very little space.