Optimus Stella - gas canister stove

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by presscall, Feb 15, 2017.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Initially I thought I was buying an Optimus Vega and took a second look to see the burner head flipped over for stowage, like an Optimus Crux (at right in the photo). It's no longer in the Optimus product line-up I see.

IMG_4226.JPG

Decent output but no pre-heater vapourising loop like the Vega has, so it won't cope with a liquefied gas feed from an inverted gas canister, a definite strength of the Vega.

IMG_4233.JPG

Control valve has a piezo sparker incorporated, the insulated wire to the electrode on the burner head running down the outside of the gas hose, held in place by a black nylon mesh sleeve slipped over the hose.

IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4240.JPG

(The spring in the photo is an electrical ground connection to the valve body)

Good solid construction of the stove frame in steel with a black finish (chemical blackening rather than paint I'd say) which is pretty tough. Stamped Optimus logo on each pot rest/leg component.

IMG_4238.JPG

IMG_4235.JPG

IMG_4236.JPG

IMG_4237.JPG

Brass shims and a steel dished friction washer make for a smooth pivoting action that stays set at the correct degree of moveability without the adjusing screw loosening in use. Nicely done.

IMG_4239.JPG

Compared to the Optimus Crux, the Stella comes into its own in taking weighty, broad-based pots. Very strong and stable.

IMG_4227.JPG

IMG_4232.JPG

Not a stove for cold conditions because of the lack of a pre-heater loop, but in warmer weather very functional and one I can visualise using as a proper camp cookery stove and not just a pot-boiler.

John

2. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Hi John,

I got one of these Stella stoves and mine isn't in as good of shape as your's, but it does function well. I had to take mine apart because the jet was plugged. I tried it out on butane, butane/propane mix and straight propane with good results. This stove can be used in cold weather if one uses propane which will vaporize at -43°F or -41.6° C. Granted propane isn't available in some places and when it is it is very expensive.

Cheers,
    Norman