Optimus SVEA 123 R

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ROBBO55, Jan 7, 2019.

1. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Optimus SVEA 123 R

Thanks to @Lamp_Doctor I now have my first SVEA 123 stove. More accurately an Optimus Svea 123R. Previously it had been owned by a school in Bendigo, Victoria and was stove N0.7 in the Outdoor Education Department. It had been well use.

As received it needed a good clean inside and out.

1.JPG

Removed the valve noting the spindle was aligned with the 1 in 123 R. The wick and wire was corroded into the valve and broke when I tried to remove it. The easiest way to get it out was to burn the old wick out with a fine torch. I used Mop strands to make the replacement.

2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Removed the spindle and cleaned up the tapered seat in a drill with emery paper. I also replaced the graphite seal as it fell apart whilst removing the spindle.

5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG

Replaced the SRV seal and the cap seal.

8.JPG

The cleaning wire was broken and needed replacing. A recent thread by @Twoberth laid out a method to replace the pricker wire in a cleaning rack. And suggestions by other members were also very helpful.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threa...s-111-cleaning-needle-rack.39842/#post-418205

The wire wouldn’t come out of the rack so decided to slice a groove in the rack and mount the wire that way.

· Knocked up a sliding guide to hold the rack steady whilst it was fed into the diamond cutting blade mounted in a Dremel. Several passes were made to get the correct depth.

· Cut a piece of 1mm OD x 0.4mm ID brass tube to length. (nominal dimensions from packet)

· Cut a piece of #25 hypodermic needle to the same length. Despite the discrepancy in nominal dimensions the needle slid into the brass tube.

· Cut a piece of #10 steel guitar string (0.26mm dia) twice as long as the tubes.

· Slide the three together with some of the wire extending both ends and position in the rack.

9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG

· Filed a piece of 5% silver brazing rod, mixed the filings with flux and applied to the area to be soldered. The mixture melts more easily than a rod and there is less chance of disturbing the needle.

· Applied heat to the rack until the filings flowed. Being careful not to apply flame directly to the wire. The braise did not fill the grove but the tubes and wire are firmly fixed in place.

· Cleaned it then inserted the wire through the jet orifice and trimmed to length.

13.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG

Finished assembling the stove and made a handle for the pot.

16.JPG 17.JPG 18.JPG 19.JPG

I also have an old billy from the early 1970's that the stove fits in nicely. The pot it comes with is a little small and this billy will protect the stove.

20.JPG 21.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2019
  2. Ed Winskill United States

pril 2001.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @ROBBO55

Nice work, Martin.

Cheers

Tony

4. Lamp_Doctor

Good work Martin.
    Thats one item gone to a good home .:D
    Bob .

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Ed Winskill
    G'day Ed, can you elaborate a bit more on pril 2001? I'm not quite getting it. :-s

Thanks @Tony Press

@Lamp_Doctor
    Thanks Bob, I'm glad you approve how I have treated it. :lol:

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Very well done.

As a note. I have reused graphite, that crumbled, in the spindle packing. It is good to replace, but if you do not have any replacement graphite, it can be reused. It is simply pressed fibers anyway.

7. Optimust

Optimust United Kingdom Subscriber

@ROBBO55

Hi, Optimust here. It is allways a pleasure & a spur to see a refurb so well done, & so well documented. Good advice about the silver solder & flux mix, plus all the other
    Solutions you used to bring the stove up to par & functioning as it should. Well done, enjoy the123r to the full. 20 points
    out of 10. Best Regards, Optimust :clap:.

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @ROBBO55

The text in Ed’s post must be a mistake: it’s the last piece of his Profile (part of the date he joined CCS).

Tony

9. Ed Winskill United States

Somehow the post vanished, and the very last part of an edit remained. I made a comment to the effect that @ROBBO55 's post was great, then noticed that my post was my 8,000th. So I added an edit to say so, and also commented that I probably had about 1,500 or so posts on CCS1 before the counter started with CCS2 in August of 2004, because I had come here in April 2001.

Only the "pril 2001" survived the process. Mystery solved!8]

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

11. Ed Winskill United States

Long way to catch you, Ken, even with my hypothetical 1,500! As for Doc, his count expands into the far corners of the universe, where it will remain ever unmatchable.8]

12. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Very well done Martin, and well documented.

13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

There is no doubt that what you post usually has more substance than what I write. I have a lot of filler mixed in. :)

14. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Thanks gentlemen for all the encouragement, comments and additional information. Hopefully others will find the information a useful guide and modify the techniques to suite their own situation (as I have done from other posts).

Ed, Thanks for sorting the date out. and congratulations on such a milestone. I like many have enjoyed you posts.

15. Mark Layman

Mark Layman Subscriber

I just learned another way to save a spindle rack. Thanks and well done

16. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber