Optimus Trapper 81

Discussion in 'Optimus No:81' started by Afterburner, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Afterburner

Got interesting Trapper 81 stove, un-fired and with user manuals. :whistle: :D/ . Here is few pictures...

1415472165-TrapperSet1.JPG

1415472221-TrapperSet2.JPG 1415472293-Trapper.JPG 1415472311-TrapperKettle.JPG 1415472330-TrapperPan.JPG 1415472431-Trapper81_0001.jpg 1415472447-Trapper81_0002.jpg 1415472467-Trapper81_0003.jpg 1415472487-Trapper81_0004.jpg 1415472515-TrapperUp.JPG 1415472607-Handle1.JPG 1415472627-Handle2.JPG 1415472645-Measure1.JPG 1415472670-Measure2.JPG 1415472690-SafeFill1.JPG 1415472706-SafeFill2.JPG 1415472726-SafeFill3.JPG

This way you can fill the burner:

1415472809-TrapperFill.JPG

According to user manual Safefill inserted and closed stove can be transported when there is fuel in:

1415472926-TrapperTransport.JPG

User manual tells that outer pot with strap can be used to carry water :content: :

1415472995-CarryWater.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Afterburner,

WOW!! You have been getting some great stoves, lately!! The Optimus Trapper 81 is one of our most favorite Meths stoves, and Sweet Bride loves to cook on ours!! You also got the best version of that stove, with the weep hole down on the fuel tank. Earlier versions did not have that, it was very easy to overfill them, especially between usings! We once, accidentally started a nasty grass fire by doing that same thing, and it's not fun, let me tell you!! :shock: :shock: :doh: ](*,) :oops: :lol: :lol:

A couple of tips, if I may:

Always lube your Safe-fill o-rings before each use. These two o-rings, both slightly different from each other, are thin, and VERY easy to crack, if you don't lube them after each use!! I found that out the hard way, too!! :shock: :shock: :oops: :lol: So, now, I carry spare o-rings, and a small tube of silicone grease, or light gun grease, with which to keep the o-rings lubed well.

When refilling, you really don't have to worry about using the measure, and with a proper fuel bottle spout, you can refill easier that way. Just remove your plug from the weep hole, and slowly pour in Meths, until you just see it beginning to show in the weep hole. Plug the cap back on the weep hole, and you are ready to go!! After each use, SB and I ALWAYS refill the Trapper, after it has cooled down, of course, and that way, we're already ready to go when the next use is called for!!

As it is with the Trangia stoves, turn the holes in the windscreen bottom into the wind. You will find that the Trapper is a good bit more powerful than the Trangia burners, overall. And, it is very easy to get a simmer, once you get used to the lever system on the Trapper. We've used ours in the High Sierra, and also up in Alaska, as well as in deep Winter at around 10,000 feet of elevation, in the snow, and all of our Trapper 81 stoves have never let us down. We love our Trangia's, too, but if FORCED to just pick one stove of this kind, we would very probably have to go with our Trapper 81!! (But, we would probably sneak in a Trangia stove, too, when those who "forced us to choose" were not looking!! ;) ;) :thumbup: 8) :lol: :lol: )

Congratulations on scoring your outstanding Trapper 81, Afterburner!!! We now have three, one of the original versions (which started the grass fire :oops: :oops: ), and two of the later, and much better versions, which we prefer to the original one. I used to have one more newer version, but gave that one away, many years ago, to a VERY needy Stovie friend. Take care, enjoy your Trapper 81, and thanks for sharing it with us!! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Afterburner

Hi Doc & thank's!

True I have been quite lucky, maybe Christmas is coming early this year. :D I have never seen these Optimus spirit stoves here. Now I saw two in flea market with very good price so I bought them immediately. I also got one only on 50's made domestic stove for free from my friend. Someone was throwing the stove to metal recycling, but my friend salvaged it and gave it for me. That stove is still under fettling...

I noticed that o-ring issue. Inner edges of burner tube are very sharp so special care is needed then SafeFill is inserted inside the burner tube. By turning the SafeFill when it's pushed in it goes in quite ok.

I think that I will not be using this stove since I am not using spirit operated stoves too much. Anyway this is very nice addition to my Optimus collection. :D

4. orsoorso

orsoorso Subscriber

the sharp edge that eat the oring can be smoothed wit 1000 grade emery paper (wet) and it becomes much more friendly with the oring. Lubing still necessary, but chewed up orings bill be less probable.

Trapper 81 is my boat (open boat) stove since I got one

Great find. use it and you will love it.

Orsoorso

5. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

I have a problem with the one I have and it have been like that since I bought the stove for 18 years ago.
    The level screw on the side of the tank is stuck and the riveted nut is rotating.
    I have not wanted to do anything about it so I have let it be like that.

Michael

6. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

a great find and it's on my "someday" list.
    i wonder why they made such a complex stove.
    was there a demand for a meths stove for what looks like winter use when trappers were out on their lines or someone just had a idea for a neat stove with lots of parts.

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Michael wrote: "
    I have a problem with the one I have and it have been like that since I bought the stove for 18 years ago.
    The level screw on the side of the tank is stuck and the riveted nut is rotating.
    I have not wanted to do anything about it so I have let it be like that."

Hi, Michael,

You should be able to grip the edge of that riveted hole, and keep it from turning, whilst you unscrew the weep hole plug, if that is what you mean in your comments. If you remove that plug, change the o-ring, or gasket, and take care when you screw in the plug. Should work for you. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, Brother Dave!

I think that the Trapper 81 was developed for two reasons:

1 - The Trangia had a reputation for being a slow boiler.

2 - The Trangia had a reputation for being a poor simmering stove, with little to no control.

As for too many parts, I've used the Trapper 81 stoves for almost 15 years, and have never had a "too many parts" problem. Given care, the Trapper 81 works just exactly as it was designed, and boils water faster than the Trangia, and also simmers easier than the Trangia.

Now, one thing that I do have to mention, is that the Trangia can actually simmer, too, but it takes a little experimentation to get good at it. Once you've figured it out, it's fairly easy, actually. And, as for being a slow boiler, there are ways around that, too, but, the best way to deal with it is to change the way you use your stove. Setup your stove and start the process, BEFORE you setup your tent. Then, whilst the Trangia is doing what it does, you go setup your tent, and get your sleeping goodies all laid out. When you're finished, the Trangia will have your water boiling, and you can then work on simmering your dinner, if that is needed.

But, in truth, the Trapper 81 IS more powerful, and it DOES simmer easier than the Trangia, once you learn it's personality!! On our last two week, map and compass trip to Alaska, we brought our Trapper 81, and our friend, a So. Cal Cop and his wife, used a "more powerful stove". In truth, the Trapper was SO easy to use, that by the time he got his stove out, and setup, the Trapper was already getting close to boiling our water!!! He was so impressed, he want out and found one for himself, and dumped the "more powerful stove"! We love the Trapper 81, and trust it, completely!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. Afterburner

Michael,

As Doc suggested I think that you would be able to open over fill cap just preventing the threaded rivet turning by keeping from the edges of it with long nose pliers.

Threaded rived seems to be a standard threaded rived so once you get cap out you can tight the rivet to the stove body with threaded rived gun/tool. That tool is quite cheap and almost every metal work shop you can find one. Tool is like these ones: https://www.google.fi/search?q=threaded+rivet+gun&biw=1467&bih=624&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CTdfVPOcMpLWasKMgrgG&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

10. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

Thans for your replies, Doc Mark and Afterburner.

I have my ideas of how to fix this but because the stove is a collectors item I do not want to make any changes or marks in the metal.

We will see what will happend.

Michael

11. Afterburner

Just for fun I weighed Trapper with all included parts and weight was exactly 1 kg. :roll:

12. Afterburner

Bought two more unfired Trappers. 8-[ :-& Here is whole set, one just has different strap colour and strap is 1-2mm narrower than totally black strap.

1418463021-81TrapperSet_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  13. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

What is the price for this set?

14. Afterburner

Depends on where you find one and if it's in auction is there some one else also bidding for it. I think that manufacturing of this stove ended somewhere on 80's or very early 90's so it's not available in shops any more.

15. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

[-(
    I understand everything...

Question is - is it cheap or not? - how much needed to have it...
    construction is very, very interesting