Optimus Trapper with home-made 'Safefill' device

Discussion in 'Optimus No:81' started by presscall, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

Nice one John, I managed to pic up an un-fired trapper not long ago for £30 and I'm in two minds whether to use it or not. I may but for the moment it's on a shelf smiling at me!
    Si

2. hubert pellikaan

Great find!

With the other posts in mind, make sure to store it dry, with all alcohol and water out. If you have one spare I'm very interested ! Mine is held together with extra alu plates and these pop-things (pop-nagels in english?).

3. theyellowdog

Big Si, if you have the one without the overflow plug on the side don't fire it, those are very dangerous even if you don't overfill to the point of fuel coming out the base they can flare up after you have had it burning for a while. I fired a NIB one and I do regret it. It gets my vote for the worst stove optimus made. I will never use mine again.

4. theyellowdog

great work John, I have not had much luck with nitrile/alcohol. I thought they disagreed with each other.

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@theyellowdog

The batch I've been using for some time now (I got a lot) doesn't react. In the Trapper it's not particularly exposed to the fuel.

6. hubert pellikaan

OK, Ill buy it from you!
    Excellent sales pitch indeed!

Indeed it takes a bit of a routine to use it safely, and yes it is worth a little redesigning to make it the utmost brilliant stove of all times. As said, I do like to buy it from you. Serious.

7. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Nitrile should be better with alcohol than Viton.

Sure it's not butyl or neoprene?

8. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

9. theyellowdog

I take back the I wont light mine again comment. I got it out to see if the safe fill was stuck, which it was. I managed to get it out, phew. I now remember what a great stove it was before my big flare up. Of corse I will fire it again...