Orange flammes with Omnilite Ti silencer

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Oksen, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Oksen Norway

Hi guys,

having read earlier posts about the Primus silencer for Omnilite Ti and underburn issues, I still went ahead and bought one because I dont plan om running it om gas canisters anyway. Turns out that it burns with a very orange flame on both white gas and isobutane, all the way from simmer to full throttle. Has anyone seen this before and know what might be wrong? Got a replacement and no difference there.

Tried white gas with the 0.36 jet intended for gas canisters and then there is finally some blue color, but it turns yellow after s minute or so:

I cant really figure out whats wrong

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Oksen The cap of the device is getting up to red heat and colouring the flame.

The same issue was reported HERE in respect of a Manaslu with a roarer burner. Same Manaslu stove and jet:

Original flame ring.

041D4EEE-D924-4A28-AA7F-7C68ED7DBFE3.jpeg

Flame ring from another make of stove.

951DE60B-6B25-4280-884F-C7CD33A7D5FD.jpeg

The effect is even more pronounced with your silent burner converter than with the Manaslu roarer because the flamelets are generated within the red-hot metal of the cap and not below the vapourising chamber on the roarer burner.

I doubt there’s a user solution, short of re-manufacturing the cap in different metal, or chucking the design and starting again! Failure of design, previously reported here on CCS as you say - reported by @ArcticFlame as underburning.

John

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  3. Oksen Norway

Thank you for the reply. It does look like the metal discolors the flame. Does it cause incomplete combustion though? Should I get tid of the thing?

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

ArcticFlame suggested it developed underburn, but he also seems to have got acceptable combustion out of it with the smallest jet. I don’t have one so I can’t speak from personal experience.

If it really does underburn, the device would literally burn itself out after a few sessions. If it’s not underburn and its just discoloured flames you might be willing to accept that for the trade-off of silent burning.

5. G1gop

G1gop United Kingdom Subscriber

6. Oksen Norway

Im mostly concerned with co production. With the roarer bell it burns with a blue flame and all looks good. I find it strange that the biggest jet makes the bluest flame when using the silencer. Should it not be opposite?

7. Reflector

Denatured Alcohol Pointless Ban Land (California)
    I've only used mine with isopropyl alcohol (enlarged the kerosene jet to 1/32" for anyone curious) and it produce a blue flame with alcohol. If I have a chance I'll fire it up on pure butane later and see what it looks like to report back.

Perhaps what's going on with the Omnilite silencer is that it needs enough vaporized gas flow to ensure proper air mixing with the fuel mixture? Recently I some flow restriction my Soto Stormbreaker and it caused a lot of underburn with an orange flame on pure butane but less so with white gas where it instead mostly had a loss in output. Just a guess as to maybe what causes the orange flame.

I've heard that some stove designs have more "optimal" air and fuel mixing at higher flow settings as the flow is sufficiently turbulent enough to create a proper mix. I've noticed this in some canister stove designs where a very low simmer produces a little bit of a yellow core in an otherwise blue flame but they always work fine at any of the higher settings.

8. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@Oksen

I removed the large screen from the inside of mine and the flames are much prettier.

9. Tron

Tron Subscriber

You should leave the silencer stock, it will "season" within a couple hours actual use and give a perfect blue flame. I have two of these and they burn very yellow at first, it is like they have either some coating that needs to burn off or the opposite, the steel needs a smear of carbon not to colour the flame. By the way, these burns perfectly with canister fuel as well, in my experience. I do not know wether Primus have made changes to them or if previous reports of trouble with these silencers ar due to other factors than than the silencers themselves. I have had nothing but excellent results in both my TI`s (one stock, the other in a Trangia adapter) burning both white gas (Aspen) and canisters. I have used both mine a lot this year, apart from the jet needing the occasional unclogging (very tedious with Primus stoves) they alway burn perfectly, with the stock silencer.

Truth be told, I have only used the large jet with canister gas a couple times for testing, for regular use I leave the .32 jet in the stove for both fuels.

Kind regards
    Tron

10. Tron

Tron Subscriber

You should also clean the jet regularly at first, if the stove is new.

Kind regards
    Tron

11. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

I have a Primus Omnilite Ti stove with a Primus silent burner. It runs very well on white gasoline (Fuelite here in New Zealand) and iso butane & propane mix. Never any sign of orange flames. On a very low simmer, sometimes under burn occurs. This is not unique to this stove. It also occurs on very low simmer with other stoves with an optional silent burner, where a roarer is standard. Having said that, I have never had underburn with my Coleman 400 brown, which has an excellent simmer.

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx