Oregon Stove Gathering 2011

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by BernieDawg, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BernieDawg Banned

OK. It's official. As in, we reserved a group site. :shock: :) Here are the details as I know them at the moment.

Dates:
    Tuesday, August 30th through Monday, September 5th, departing on Tuesday morning, September 6th.

Where:
    Broken Arrow Campground on Diamond Lake, Oregon.
    Group Site K1 - K5 (five camps). Up to forty people. Two tents at each site limit. Ten total vehicle limit.

Located 80 miles east of Roseburg on Hwy 138 at the south end of Diamond Lake, or 80 miles from Medford on Hwys 62 and 230. Crater Lake National Park is 6 miles to the south.

Diamond Lake is one quarter mile away. Views of Mt. Bailey and Mt. Thielsen can be seen through the pine trees.

Nearby Diamond Lake and Thielsen View campgrounds have over 200 family sites. Privately managed, Diamond Lake RV Park has full hook-ups. Diamond Lake Resort is a full-service facility with restaurants, store, gas, phone, mountain bike and watercraft rentals.

Services & Amenities Within Facility:
    Boat Launch
    Drinking Water
    Dump Station
    Picnic Table
    Restroom
    Shower

GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
    43.13472, -122.14306

Maps:
    1295406851-BigPicture2.jpg

1295406865-MedPicture2.jpg
    Orange "A" marker.

1295406875-ClosePicture2.jpg
    Round white ring is where camp is.

1295406891-SatMapCamp2.jpg
    The white ring is the actual "K" Loop Group Camp.

1295406902-CmpDrwgMap2.jpg
    Red arrow points at "K" Loop.

Come for the whole thing, or just a day. Might be good to share your plans so we don't overpopulate the loop.

I've reached my energy limit this evening. More later when I think of it or when ya'll talk about it. I hope that gets things rolling. Googling on Umpqua National Forest and Diamond Lake will pull up a lot of material.

Cheers,
    Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. norham

:D/ Yippee!! :D/

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Dawg,

Sweet Bride and I are IN!!! Sounds like a great time, and unless something work-wise raises it's head, which I don't think it will, we'll be there!! Thanks, very much, for your efforts to get the first OSG up and running, Gary! Much appreciated, and we look forward to joining you, and as many others as can make it, up there!!! 8) :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :D :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. hikin_jim

Dare I dream?

HJ

5. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

talk about planning ahead!!!!

6. danta

sounds like a hoot!
    unfortunatly its very hard to get time off.
    I will definitly put it on the calendar.
    possibly for a weekend trip.

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

We'll have to see, work is in the air still, the last few years. Shorter than a drive to the Southern Sierra for a bp trip.

8. Chef BC

Knew I was keeping the summer uncommitted for a reason!
    Guess i'll just have to gas up the Vee Dub and head south.

I'm getting Gooose-`Bummps! =P~ :clap: =P~ :clap:

9. BernieDawg Banned

Hi Gents
    Well, good interest so far. 8) Here are some more tidbits of info for you:

Weather
    A recent 8-year climate summary for the dates the OSG 2011 is occurring reveals:

Average highs: 70 degrees
    Average lows: 38 degrees
    Extremes: 28 to 90 degrees
    Cloud cover: Mostly sunny
    Precipitation: Less than 10% chance of precipitation on any given day. Slight possibility of thunderstorm activity. Very slight possibility of seeing any snowfall.
    Elevation of campground: 5200 feet

This Hwy intersection is within 2 miles of the campground and you can view on this webcam link during daylight hours:
    Webcam: http://www.tripcheck.com/popups/Cam.asp?curRegion=7&camera=646

Other Stuff
    Camping, other than Broken Arrow Campground:
    Diamond Lake RV Park, a privately operated Recreational Vehicle park operating under special use permit from the Umpqua National Forest includes 160 RV units with full hookups, laundry, shower facilities and a recreation hall for guests.
    http://diamondlakervpark.com/

Lodge options:
    http://www.diamondlake.net/
    This website gives you a huge amount of information about everything to do in the vicinity of Diamond Lake. It is the heart of the commercial activities of the Diamond Lake area.

Bicycling:
    There are 11 miles of paved bicycle/hiker trail surrounding Diamond Lake. Other nearby trails are mountain bike friendly. Bring your own bicycle or rent a mountain bike at Diamond Lake Resort.
    http://www.diamondlake.net/summer.html

Hiking:
    There are numerous hiking trails nearby including: a 0.8 mile self guided nature trail, Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail, Mt Thielsen Trail, and Mt. Bailey Trail.

Fishing:
    Lake fishing for Rainbow trout. The lake is stocked annually with over 450,000 fingerling. Stream fishing in the nearby Rogue and Umpqua Rivers. For more info on fishing regulations and to get a fishing license:
    http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/

Horseback Riding:
    Diamond Lake Corrals http://diamondlakecorrals.com

Boating:
    For renting a charterboat, patioboat, paddleboat, canoe, or kayak, see the following link:
    http://www.diamondlake.net/summer.html
    Or bring your own boat and launch from the several marinas or beaches in the area. There's a swimming beach nearby, too.

Campfires:
    Campfires allowed in campfire rings at the campsite. Bring your own firewood, since it will be late summer and not much will be found on the ground. If it is a dry year, there may be a possibility of a "NO FIRES ALLOWED" policy. This usually means no campfires. Cooking stoves and charcoal cooking are usually still allowed during such times. We will keep you posted if they are disallowing a specific type of fire or cooking method.

Driving the scenic roads:
    Click here to view the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway brochure which describes the road(s) you will use to travel to Diamond Lake:
    http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/roseburg/recreation/ScenicByway/

There's lots more. But, maybe that's overwhelming enough for today. :lol:

Cheers,
    Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  10. BernieDawg Banned

Oh, heck. Why not just one more.

There are two "world class" waterfalls a short drive and hike from the OSG site....

Toketee Falls - 120 feet
    1295577742-ToketeeFallsOregonSm.jpg

and

Watson Falls - 272 feet
    1295577752-WatsonFallsSm.jpg

Did I mention that Crater Lake National Park is just 30 minutes down the road?
    1295578673-CraterLake.jpg

Cheers,
    Gary

11. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Are we playing with stoves or giving Oregone a economic boost? :) Where I live, folks mention that area for snowmobiling in the winter and some from here go up there.

12. Chef BC

HD,
    Uh yes to both! This is really a beautiful area and kinda remote, Bend is just over two hours to the north if someone needs bigger civilation. I also have done some Geocaching in this area in the past.

13. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Is there room for a Pop-up?
    If so, we might drop in for a few days, probably not the entire time, as we have lots to do on our short visits!
    Our 'retirement' place is in Kfalls, so only a 1& 1/2 hour run, if we go up then. (12 hour run to kfalls)

14. hikin_jim

"Wow" on those photos, Gary. I showed them to my wife, and she liked them. Good move. ;)

How close is that lodge to the campground? She might go for a lodge. And is it a high end lodge or something fairly affordable? Do you know it well or should I just call them?

Lastly, weather question [complete ignorance here] Oregon has a reputation for being wet. Is the Summer pretty reliable in terms of weather? Averages don't really tell the story the way experience does.

HJ

15. Russ in California

This link goes right to the lodging section of link provided above: http://www.diamondlake.net/lodging.html
    The lodge is on the north end of lake. Campground on the south. Short drive.

Some of the rates aren't too bad. Some are pretty steep depending on your requirements.
    There you go.
    8)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  16. BernieDawg Banned

Morning Gents

I see Russ has directed you to the lodge link Jim. We've not been to the lodge, so I really don't know much about it, hence the link. It's a couple miles from camp along a nice trail. We plan to reconnoiter the area later this spring when there's a bit of melt off. We'll drop into the lodge and have a looksee then. Until then, the link or Googling are your best bet. But, we were thinking of you and your family and that possible option when we chose the venue. :thumbup: Likewise the pictures. :)

Steve, the group camp we've got lined up sez it will take big motor homes, so I'm thinking your popup would be no trouble at all. Come on over!

Weather. Western Oregon is a temperate rain forest with a 7-9 month monsoon and a 3-5 month dry season. Our dates are about in the middle of the dry period, so we can only hope. But, generally, I'd say I'd be surprised at precip that time of year. (Knock on wood!)

I found some pics I took in 2004.

1295628427-TotketeeMe.jpg
    This is Toketee Falls again. Goes to show it's awesome even if you are a photo hack like myself.

1295628459-ToketeePipe.jpg
    Here's the trailhead for the short trail to Toketee. The big pipe is made of wood and tightly bound by many steel hoops just like a barrel. It diverts some water to an old hydro facility.

1295628440-ThielsenMe.jpg
    A shot of 9,100 foot Mt. Thielsen taken from the west side of the lake.

I think I've responded to the questions, but if I missed something, please give a shout.

Cheers,
    Gary

17. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Wow, that pipe is an impressive illustration of the cooper's art if it was hand made, or even if it was factory made and constructed on site it's still good :D/

Cheers, Graham.

18. hikin_jim

Oh, dear, these photos, these photos. =P~

Thanx for the lynx.

HJ

19. marblecreek

marblecreek Subscriber

Hey BD,

This is a spot in the PNW that has been on my list to go to for several years. This meet would be the perfect reason to get there. It's too soon for me to commit 100%, but I will try to make this work.

Steve

20. BernieDawg Banned

Heya Steve
    Yep, there's a lot that can be done and seen in this area. Plenty of opportunities for a wide range of recreation. Hope to see you there!
    Cheers,
    Gary