Origo or similar

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Kayakeur, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Kayakeur United States

Virginia foothills & also aboard Chiquita
    I'm new to Forum, greetings to all. I'm a luddite, I like classic, simple, rugged and hope y'all can recommend a stove.
    I'm looking for a simple one-burner cookstove for my little sailboat, probably alcohol. Other sailors praise Origo 1500 and 2000 and non-pressurized alcohol in general.
    Old classic & reliable suits me and suits my classic little boat.
    Can you recommend a brand & model?
    Thanks,
    Bud in Virginia & Chesapeake Bay
    aboard Chiquita,
    Venture of Newport 23

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Kayakeur Welcome Bud.

I have an Origo but it’s not installed on a boat and it gets little use. Regular use might cause the foam core of a burner fuel reservoir to develop a ‘crust’, hindering flame propagation - discussed HERE.

Paring back the crust may restore proper function and as a last resort, a new fuel pan is still available.

In spite of that possible eventual issue, the Origo remains a good choice I’d say. An alternative might be an alcohol pressure stove - I’m thinking Homestrand - but they tend to be twin burner set-ups (exclusively so?).

A three-legged ‘classic’ brass stove in a gimbal mount would be good. Rarer, one with a regulated alcohol burner would be perfect.

Good hunting!

John

3. Kayakeur United States

Virginia foothills & also aboard Chiquita
    Thanks. eBay has a
    Norma 10 , a vintage looking stove with a cylindrical tank elevated at the back, tube runs from under tank, to bottom of burner, and a knob in front. Seller says it's gravity, not pump. Burner is a ring of holes, not a pad like Origo.
    Anybody know about Norma 10?

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

A gravity-fed burner, a common configuration. Turm do similar and there are many other makes.

I’ve a couple of Norma alcohol stoves, but not the No.10 model.

26F6554F-B081-4611-82CE-A2CBBFB32259.jpeg 2FE52E81-C951-4193-8AF4-5A213527AA2A.jpeg

Useful indoors on land to brew up with, maybe boil an egg or heat soup. On a boat it’d work ok on a flat calm I suppose. Anything choppy and stove and pan would be all over the place. Interesting effects of alternating fuel surging and starvation too possibly.

Hopefully someone with a boat will take up this conversation.

5. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

My repair, referred to by Presscall, seems to have worked. I have the Origo 3000 two burner on a Pearson sail boat. My wife loves it. I also use a one burner gravity fed Punker on the boat.

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, @Kayakeur ,

Welcome to CCS! If you want simple, robust, very capable, and classic, seek out the one burner version of these stoves:

Optimus MK 1 and MK 2 Meths stoves.

The Optimus/Princess MK1 looks right up your "galley", Sir! Again, welcome to our Merry Band of Stove Pyros, and hope to see you often here! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. pau-i-amor

pau-i-amor Subscriber

Origo 1500 is a good choice!

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber