1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our Second Clayton and Lambert #3!!

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Doc Mark, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Penetrating oil: 50:50 acetone:automatic transmission fluid.

Cheers

Tony

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Evening, Tony,

Thanks, very much, Mate!! I'll mix some up, as there are still some rusted goodies on the #3, and I want to dismantle it to fix what needs fettling. Merry Christmas!!

Mark

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

@Doc Mark

That formula is as good or better than any expensive patented product.

A little trick is to gently warm the pieces you want to separate then apply the penetrating oil and let is sit for a day....

Cheers

Tony

4. snwcmpr United States

Yes, fat fingers on my phone. I had to edit it, but I see you got the unedited version. My bad. Apologies for any confusion.

I mixed a very small amount into a small glass jar. There has been discussion of the right container for the mix.

Every good wish back to you.
    Ken

5. Doc Mark

@Tony Press , @snwcmpr ,

Good Morning, Tony, Ken, and All,

Thanks, again, for the clarification, and information, Gentlemen! I think I have both fluids down in the Hobbit Hole, and will mix some up as soon as I can, then try it on the internal cylinders of the two outside burners of the #3, as their adjustment knobs are stuck fast. Hopefully, this stuff will slowly creep into the stuck places, and help release the burner regulating knobs of those two burners. What's the best way to apply it? Squirt bottle, camel hair brush, rag??

Ken, what's the consensus on storing this mix? Glass? Metal? Fuel-resistant plastic? Thanks, again, Guys, and Merry Christmas!! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

6. snwcmpr United States

The container and lid need to withstand the ravages of the acetone.
    I used a very small glass jar that previously held pimentos. I didn't mix more than enough for the current task.
    There's a thread, I think it's here.

I dipped a dental pick into the mix and dropped it ito the spot. Some have found syringes that are able to withstand the mix. I do not recall the material of the syringe. I'll look.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/storing-atf-acetone-mixture.33962/

Ken in NC

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  7. Doc Mark

Hey, Ken,

Thanks, very much! We're going to be "up to it" during Christmas, but I do hope to get back to the #3 after that! I'll give the 50/50 mix a try and I'm betting it will work wonderfully!! Thanks, again, for the info, and talk later. Take care, and God Bless!

Mark

8. Doc Mark

Greetings, All,

A small update: I've found that not only does our local hardware stove NOT have any round-head, slot drive bolts that will fits my stove, one bolt that I removed from Flivver's #3 doesn't fit it, either! Too loose in the threads. :shock: :doh: I'm going to try the other bolt from Mike's $3, and see if it's the same as the one I already removed. It's more than possible that one, or both of those bolts are not original to the stove from it's date of manufacture. That's about all I have to share, but it's good to know that this part is not going to be a slam dunk fix. No big deal, as I'm going slow and sure, and not going to hurry on this one!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill United States Subscriber

Doc, I keep my acetone/atf mix in a old whisky bottle with a cork stopper. Suitably marked of course, been there for about five years and is more than a life time supply.

10. Doc Mark

Howdy, Cottage Hill Bill!!

Thanks for the info on storage of the mix! I won't get around to doing much until Christmas is over, and probably not "too" much time until after the New Year. But, I do very much look forward to more progress in getting this Old Timer back up and running again!!

I have a favor to ask, too, if I may? Could you please remove one of the screw/bolts that holds your C&L #3 fuel tank in place, and measure the size and threads? Our local hardware store is next to worthless when it comes to finding oddball screw and bolt sizes. I will have a chance to visit a REAL hardware store this coming week, and I'm taking along my latest fuel tank to see if that great store can help. But, if you can help me find the proper size and threads, that would definitely simplify things in that regard. No big, if you can't do this, for any reason, at all. I'll check back later today, or tomorrow, to see how it turns out! Thanks, again, for the info on proper safe storage of the penetrating mix. Take care, Merry Christmas, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

11. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber

Hi Doc @Doc Mark

I've had problems finding slot-head screws at hardware stores lately. Probably your best sure bet is McMaster-Carr. Obviously, you need to know the size and pitch. I try to match those with Phillips or other heads at the hardware store, and then order from McMaster-Carr. Best of luck and best wishes.

....Arch

12. snwcmpr United States

My local ace didn't have what I needed once, I had to go to a nuts, bolts, and screw distributer in Asheville. Nothing like a warehouse of just threads. Like here. :)

13. Doc Mark

Evening, Mac, and Ken @ArchMc , @snwcmpr ,

Thanks, Guys! I hit the old standby, San Diego Hardware, where such things were easily located, back in the old days. They had move, and are not even a patch of their old selves, sad to say. The don't carry ANY fasteners, at all, anymore, and are just a "Fixtures" place. However, they referred me to another shop, up on Miramar Rd, and I bought some stuff that I think will work, nicely. We'll see, and after Christmas, I can give them a try in both stoves! Nice to see a REAL hardware store still exists in San Diego, but it's the ONLY one of what used to be quite a few.

Thanks, very much, for the suggestions, and I'll let you know how it all turns out. Oh, and as to measuring the size and pitch, I've misplaced my gauge, and have to trust to the skills and tools of others..... Hopefully, it will come to hand again, one of these days.......! ](*,)](*,) ](*,):-s

Take care, Gentlemen, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!!! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark