OUT-D ST/ST Mini Alcohol Burner

Discussion in 'China' started by Simes, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Simes

Simes Subscriber

A cheap copy of the original Simon stove. Posted here as as far as I am aware it's Chinese made.

IMG_20190428_075026.jpg

Original packaging.

IMG_20190428_075159.jpg

Complete with zipped carry bag.

IMG_20190428_075246.jpg

And ready to go. Neat and rather well made.

IMG_20190428_080330.jpg

Just lit and warming up, using bio-ethanol.

IMG_20190428_080620.jpg

Fully warmed up with nice flamelets.

IMG_20190428_080651.jpg

Impressive water boil test, pint of tap water to rolling boil in about 6 mins.

Mmmm I wonder if.....

IMG_20190428_080208.jpg

Nope, the Aldi Yrangia will need a bit of work, but this works better than the burner that came with it.

It's also an option with the Lixada TLUD stove. Drawback is the lid/snuffer is loose so any remaining alcohol will require decanting. Certainly an option I'll consider seriously.

2. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

@Simes I suspect it would work well in the Aldi windshield if you raise the burner up so the holes are above the perforated shelf in the base. As shown it will go horribly wrong. I buckled the shelf of a trangia using a couple of tea lights beneath it when experimenting to prove some dough. (see this thread)
    Regards
    John

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  3. Blueflame

Blueflame Canada Subscriber

I have the exact stove you have. I am using bio-ethanol but get only yellow flames. What is your "secret".

4. Simes

Simes Subscriber

John, @Jeopardy, thanks for the warning, although I didn't actually have the stove lit, it was.more a size check really. Easiest solutiin is I think as you say raise the burner with 3 off sections of good old bike spoke cut and bent to size. They will easily pass through the vent holes and support it. It's how its held in the frame it comes with. I aslo spotted some YT clips which suggest there are ways of constructing a simmer ring, but have yet to find the time to look through them.

@Blueflame, I did see your post about the over rich burn prior to posting. The bio ethanol I have does seem to be less 'clean' than the Meths, (denatured alcohol) but haven't made a compariative study. No secret it's just the way it worked straight out of the box. I can't remeber if I did a water boil test previously, but 6 mins in benign conditions I thought was respectable,

You both may have prompted the wire adaption sooner rather than later as the Aldi stove hasn't been banished back to the loft as yet. :)

5. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

6 minutes for a pint is pretty good!
    Interesting..... :-k

Alec.

6. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@Rangie, exactly my thoughts.

I've never had a big interest in alcy burners personally, albeit Turms have an attraction and may have a use for a dual in the not too distant future.

I'll post back once adapted and see what you think. I can't even remember if it was Amazon or not I picked it up from, but a deal I couldn't pass up at the time. As the original is a namesake I really did have to buy one didn't I. :D