Oxidized Vs Anodized

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by theyellowdog, Apr 27, 2011.

1. theyellowdog

Hi

I have been looking at little meths sets. This esbit set is a nice looking stove. It is made of hard anodized alloy
    http://www.esbit.net/product-detail/items/CS985HA-hard-anodized-aluminium-985ml-cookset.html
    1303884652-CS985HA_01_Kochset__Trockenbrennstoff_nicht_im_Lieferumfang_enthalten_.jpg
    This plus2city set "PHOENIX Alu. cookware + alcohol stove 7s" looks better to me as it seems like it would heat the sides of the pot and maybe I could fit a 123 under it.
    1303884755-3027_P_1283775574660.jpg

The Phoenix says it is oxidezed, which I think means nothing at all, other than left in the air. Does any one know if they mean anodized?
    Or maybe my understanding of oxidized is wrong?
    Or maybe it does not matter at all.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. johnsnz

3. theyellowdog

I skimmed it, Thanks John, will read it fully later (it is a lot to take in).

Seems that aluminium oxidises naturally in room temperature air, anodising increases the thickness of the oxidised layer.

Therefore the phoenix has either had no treatment or they meant anodised rather than oxidised.

4. Chef BC

Why not call their customer service or E-blab them to find out? 8-[ (Nice looking kit though, the Esbit set sold here in the US is not as nice as yours)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  5. itchy

It may be a translation issue. Since the anodizing process is oxidation, the Chinese term may be the same or very similar (just a guess). I am pretty sure it is anodized, since I doubt that dark color would happen with just exposure to air.

6. urbanmedic

I would guess it to be a translation or non-native English speaker issue. I have noticed that the mainland Chinese sellers do two things:
    1. Always claim to be domiciled in Hong Kong though every single package I have ever received from them has originated in a mainland China factory town.
    2. Used bizarre and often non-sensical terms for their products. For instance, I posted last week here about a clone of the Terra HE or Eta pots with a heat exchanger ring on the bottom of the pot. In the plus2city description, it is called a "heat polymerize pot." This makes no sense to me, and indeed they would probably sell a magnitude more of their products if the item description made any sense and could be found in a search query. Another curious one: 220 gram butane food service canister to standard stove screw adapter -- called a "transfer connect to the screw valve." Better would be a "butane cartridge adapter". But that's neither here or there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

8. theyellowdog

Good call on the colour.

Has anyone tried either of these stoves?

9. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

The colour is a dye appied during the anodising process. Oxidised and undied anodised aluminium is light silver in colour. The oxide layer forms in seconds so its unlikly you have ever seen aluminium without oxide.

10. Ian

Ian Subscriber

I'm inclined to think that any heat which goes up the side of the pot is for the most part wasted. I don't think it makes any appreciable contribution to heating the pot.
    Whilst neither of these set-ups appear to utilise them, a notable feature of the heat exchanger pots is that very little heat escapes thru' the h/e and up the sides of the pot. I'm only guessing, but I'd think that the close fitting 'vented-skirt' w/s arrangement on the Esbit would be the better option.

11. theyellowdog

Good point Ian, I also am not sure the phoenix lid could be used as a pot.

Having mulled it over for too long I choose... ... nothing becuase I remembered I already have a small meths kit that has seen far too little use. My little ALFI

1286592152-German_meths_set_007_640x480.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015