Pacific Northwest Gathering

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by teckguy_58, Dec 4, 2016.

1. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Hello,

I'm just curious if anyone in the Pacific Northwest would be interested in having a stove gathering. Of course anyone from CCS is always welcomed to attend. The Pacific Northwest includes Northern CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, AK, BC, Alberta and anyone from Saskatchewan.
    Let me know if you might be interested.

Cheers,
    Norman

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I'd have to see, long ways from N CA, but would be nice to see more of the country. I was in Libby, MT in Sept., for a o/n backpack trip. Yum, love those huckleberries.
    Duane

3. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Would be interesting

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

5. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Always interested.

6. teckguy_58

Hi there fellow stovies,

I have reserved the K site at Broken Arrow campground in Diamond Lake Oregon.
    The arrival date will be Friday August 11, 2017 with a check in time of 2 p.m. the the checkout time will be Monday August 14th at 1 p.m.
    If you have any if you have any questions please contact me.

Cheers,
    Norman

7. SSW

SSW Subscriber

That sounds like a great time. I would be interested in attending. I have never attended a stove gathering before and it sounds awesome. Diamond Lake is a beautiful area to visit in August. Please post more about it as you get more information. Thank you. - Josh

8. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Broken Arrow Campground is a mere 12 hours from Santa Barbara. Piece of cake!

Ben

9. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

You know August 21 a solar eclipse is passing through central Oregon-might want to extend your stay

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Norman, how were you able to reserve so far in advance? I thought that was FS up there. I'll have to check it out, may arrive early, stay over. ? Will check into later, have to use the library computer or see if I can get satellite internet soon.
    Duane

11. teckguy_58

Hi Duane,

The season is over and the campground is closed, but one can reserve spaces pretty much anytime.
    I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Cheers,
    Norman

12. SSW

SSW Subscriber

Yeah it is frozen or lots of snow there this time of year. Got lucky in that area in a big snow storm. Had a truck driver stop. He offered to load my Harley up with his easy lift help me strap it down, and gave me a ride in a warm cab north. I said yes and made a friend who i recently learned is a lantern enthusiast . I have never risked the snow and ice in that area again this time of year. I have rode through and visited the area many times. I have not had the opportunity to camp in that camp ground yet. Crater Lake is not far and a beautiful place to visit. In August just watch for idiot drivers. Be really careful of the road and road construction. It us good to call ODOT and look finf out the work zo e locations and road conditions. Gasoline and Diesel are expensive at Diamond lake so gas up in one of the towns or carry a few jeep cans of gasoline. Mosquito repellent or kerosene is your friend in that area I am not sure if they fog over there or not. Hopefully the fire danger won't be high or any forest fires in the area in August. I will call and see about reservations. If I find anything out I will post it here. If there is anything I might be able to help with please let me know. I really do look forward to seeing and finally meeting the good people from this forum. I'm just trying to decide which stove to bring with me hmmm. Thanks again.

- Josh

13. SSW

SSW Subscriber

FS I think. If you are a Veteran or if you are disabled you can go to your local BLM or FS office and get a parks pass for free. It doesn't cover camping and you get a discount on some things like tours. Covers parking, and admittance for the card holder and 2 people who are with the person carrying the card. The standard pass is not too expensive if it is something that you use frequently.

14. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Looking forward to meeting everyone too, I'm not much, just a fly on the ceiling. I've been to Diamond Lake twice, first time was the one and only OSG. I was there in Sept. a few years ago on a very rare road trip vacation, always get confused when leaving about which direction to go, don't care for road signage in OR. Good thing last time, ended up at Crater Lake on the free Parks day. Gorgeous place, a must visit place, loved the old hotel there, what rich folks did back in the day, just like the hotels in Glacier NP in MT.
    I got my Seasoned Citizen Pass a year ago, paid for itself the first weekend.
    Duane

15. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

OK, gonna google diamond lake....

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

17. SSW

SSW Subscriber

Thank you. That is a handy link. - Josh

18. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, @teckguy_58 ,

Norman, BRAVO, my friend!! I'm really happy that you took up the gauntlet, and have scheduled a Stove Gathering!! We enjoyed Diamond Lake during the OSG, and met quite a few new folks, plus many of our regular family, up there! We'll check our work schedule, and see if we can make your event. August is always touch and go, with either feast, or famine, happening with work! I hope we can join you, but if not, we'll look forward to enjoying the AAR's that everyone posts upon returning home from the event!!! Again, well done!! Take care, Merry Christmas, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

19. NW Lady

I will be there for sure! Looking forward to my first stove gathering and meeting other "stovies".

20. teckguy_58

Hi all,

For those who can make it I'm looking forward to meeting you.

As soon as possible I will need to know how many people are going to be able to commit to coming to the stove gathering and since many will have months to plan I'm hoping we will have a good turn out.

Bring your stoves and lanterns for displaying and if you have a problem stove or lantern bring them as well because I sure someone will have the answer someone my need to get the stove or lantern fixed.

Some of the activities will be hands on fixing/fettling and basic maintenance of stoves and lanterns. I have a couple of lanterns I will be converting to run on Kerosene.
    Some basic metal preparation along with some simple soldering and silbrazing.
    We may be able to have some very short restoration projects, but this will depend on how much time we have.
    I still have several Coleman Xtreme and Xpert stoves I will be converting to run on modern fuel canisters. I also have one Xpedition stove already converted. These stoves will be given to those who want them, but remember I only have a few.

There will be no potluck everyone will be responsible for their own meal preparation.

There are many activities in the area from hiking, fishing and exploring. Crater Lake is just but a few miles away.

If you have any questions please contact me.

Cheers,
    Norman