paint stripper

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by G1gop, Jul 10, 2020.

1. G1gop

G1gop United Kingdom Subscriber

Anyone tried this paint stripper?
    Just bought some from asda to try. £5

20200710_140735.jpg

20200710_140744(0).jpg

2. Blueflame

Blueflame Canada Subscriber

I have tried these formulations and my impression is that they are poor substitutes for the original. May work for fresh paint but not for really old coatings. My opinion.

3. G1gop

Thank. I will let you know how it goes.

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

The absence of methylene chloride reduces the effectiveness, especially on old paint. The high molecular weight of the MC does the job.

Something I learned decades ago defending manufacturers in product lawsuits where homeowners had put torches to paint stripper after application to 'speed the process', thus producing the poison gas phosgene, with bad respiratory results.

5. G1gop

We once had a customer send a gas regulator back that had been used with phosgene. Not sealed. Just in a box.
    The whole dept was closed and had to be de contaminated.

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

“Because of safety issues, phosgene is often produced and consumed within the same plant, and extraordinary measures are made to contain it. It is listed on Schedule 3 of the Chemical Weapons Convention: All production sites manufacturing more than 30 tonnes per year must be declared to the OPCW.[9] Although less dangerous than many other chemical weaponssuch as sarin, phosgene is still regarded as a viable chemical warfare agent because it is so easy to manufacture when compared to the production requirements of more technically advanced chemical weapons such as the first-generation nerve agent tabun.[10]

Phosgene - Wikipedia

7. G1gop

@kerophile which is why panic ensued when a customer sent a regulator back as faulty without sealing it up and letting us know what it had been used for.
    There was more ruckus for this then when some plutonium spilt on the floor in the lab(accidents do happen but there are/were procedure in place and they work well ).

8. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Try Dettol!
    I use it to strip paint from anglepoise lamps there are two types, one has the chemical chloroxylenol in it and strips paint
    The other does not and does not strip paint.
    I just leave the parts in a bath of it for a few days and hey presto stripped bare and no damage to the aluminium whatsoever!

cheers Nick

9. G1gop

Thanks will try that.

10. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Sounds like a production line Nick.

John

11. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

A lab containing phosgene and plutonium???? I suspect a question asking what you do might earn the reply that its above my pay grade?

12. nmp

@presscall
    Not a production line, I just started buying them when I found them at the right price and rewiring them and polishing them, that fashion for polished ones has gone and original paint is more in vogue now !

I have sold a few on but I like them at home as a light source on desks benches etc. They have style!

It’s interesting when one hobby can lead to skills or tricks that can be used in another.

Cheers Nick

13. nmp

@G1gop

Another trick is once you’ve applied your stripping chemical is to cover the object or area being stripped in cling film this stops the stripper from drying out rather than stripping paint.
    Nick

14. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

True. I’d one in the seventies, long gone (somewhere). We’ve one of the modern repro’s of the 1227 model when it sold for half price on Amazon.

John