Paint ?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Etherman, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Etherman

Etherman United States Subscriber

Hello All

I recently acquired an Optimus 22 b stove. When it arrived It promptly was coined Terd stove.
    The previous owner had painted it an unattractive brown and had applied solder to the tank cap threads in thick globs. Solder globs also on the steel case and primer cup. The right side primer cup retainer was gouged out so that a homemade primer cup would fit having soldered it onto the burner threads. Hence Terd stove.. I went to get some paint matched up and applied to an aerosol can, from a 8R I left with the shop to match.
    I'm hoping someone can explain to me what Optimus describes as "japanned"? Click
    So far my project has been stalled due to striking out on 6mm threaded brass rod at some local hardware shops which I need to braze onto the burner to retain the priming cup. More updates as it progresses.

Ren
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

I believe it refers to lacquering on the brass tank to keep it from tarnishing.

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Why not cut your own thread?

4. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

jappaning is a lacquering technique from Art Deco times but normally it way a black lacquer polished to a mirror finish

5. alnl1996

That's a project you have there, my friend.
    But that is one of the interesting things I like about our hobby.
    We're keeping these wonderful stoves from reaching a landfill.

As mentioned above by snwcmpr you can easily cut your own threads with a tap and die set.
    Keep us updated.

6. Etherman

Interesting on the japanning.
    I will need to check and see if I have the 6 mm die. Every time I open the case they all seem to flop around like fish. I'm thinking I will drill a small hole in the thread and apply a small pin of solder in the drilled out portion, then slowly bond it for a clean job.

Here's some additional photos on where it's at. image.jpeg image.jpeg Made the missing primer cup retainer due to the homemade one. All I had was copper and aluminum sheet at the time.
    Next I removed some solder patching some holes in the case and flattened out the dings.

Here's how the other half looks. Still needing to procure the brass thread and finish the case, it's steel in really bad shape.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

7. itchy

Looking good.

8. Etherman

@itchy

Thank you. It's coming along.

Ren

9. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

It is indeed. Keep up the good work.

Ben

10. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

so far so good, Glad the Turd brown is gone
    Jan

11. tofta

tofta Subscriber

@Etherman
    I found I had bookmarked this page on japanning; I think shellac (instead of tar) has something to do with the somewhat colorful so called japanning they put on stove cases.

All the best, e

12. Etherman

Thanks all for the replies

So would this quote from @tofta be safe in referring to the case clear coat finish as japanned or does it also include the color applications?

"coat of hard, brilliant varnish, in the manner of the Japanese; to lacquer"

My can was mixed with a clear coat effect as an all in one. Hardener could have been added for higher temps although has to be used within a day. Handy to know for future projects.

Ren

13. Etherman

Took advantage of some warmer weather to make some progress on the previously coined Terd stove.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    the prior owner had removed the threads from the right side burner and solderd a priming cup directly to the burner. This then required the priming retainer (being to large to fit) to be removed eagor the brute like, from the box. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    some photos of the stove reassembled
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpg

14. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Beautiful work!

15. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

A stunning restoration!

I have a 22 that works well but is in dire need of a cosmetic restoration - it looks like it was rescued from a nuclear explosion.
    Seeing your stove makes me feel guilty because I never seem to get around to doing anything about my 22.

16. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Absolutely beautiful! All you need now is one of these (available on eBay).

[​IMG]

Ben

17. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Beautifully done.

18. Etherman

Thanks Ken, Ed and all!

The Made In Sweeden stamping on the top of the stove faded to low visibility which I tried to go light on primer and paint to minimize but think it was reduced in depth prior to my ownership.. I'm debating on applying a low gloss clear coat to seal and protect the paint job since I expected more from which I was told would be an all in one application.

@shagratork
    This was a slow bit by bit winter project that was nice to see improve little by little. I suspect you would have similar enjoyment improving your 22 b project.

@z1ulike

I contemplated a sticker but if I'm not mistaken, would be more specific to the later 22 models without the box stamping. Wouldn't mind a small Optimus round petal type to apply though if anyone happens to knows of a source for them?

Ren

19. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  20. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

black jap and japanned are terms used a lot in ironmongery, steel screws fixtures and fittings and chain are still sold as jap finish
    i'd imagine they meant it was a similar type paint to protect steel,

really nice stove

the tank lacquer can be done with clear cellulose, ercalene seems to be the one that gets the most mentions, haven't tried it yet but i'll post when i do