Pak-Cook 123 Clone (Taiwan)

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by Sedgman, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

Flame spreader was missing and I have built a replacement. Works OK without dimpled centre. Small leaks and flames from threaded part into primer pan so I used Locktite (medium) and it fixed that. Chain was in poor condition so upgraded it. I believe these stoves are from about mid seventies to eighties.

The stove is now working satisfactorily.

PAK Cook 123.jpg

PAK Cook 123 with wind screen case.jpg

Stay safe.

Iain

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Sedgman Replacement control key maybe Iain? I seem to think the Pak-Cook has a key with hest insulation scales on it.

John

3. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

@presscall

Thanks John,

It had me thinking if I had got the stove back in 2015 without the key and added it, but I think it came with it. The chain I have added is slightly larger than the original, but the plain control key is the same as on other similar stoves in the gallery.

Tiawan PAK COOK

Traveler 77

Interesting though that some may have something else on them.

Regards

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  5. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

@presscall @Tony Press

Thanks Tony for the link to your post. I must have missed it. In it I see mention of the plastic coated control key and I have seen these twice in the gallery but on Taiwan clones of the Optimus series 8R or 99. I did not previously provide links to them.

Here is a link to one of them though for reference as they probably come from the same PAK company.

Trail-Pak Stove...TAIWAN

I think these are the control keys that John has referred to but it seems they are not used on the 123 clones just the larger Optimus ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

6. David L

David L Subscriber

A factory look cutting job on the flame spreader.

David L

7. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

@David L

Well spotted and thanks.

I was certain it was the one I made because it was burning so poorly from two sides so I removed the dimple which I thought I had originally put there with a ball pein hammer. The legs also looked looked different lengths. Turns out it was my Radius 42 that was missing the flame spreader which I then made. I checked my original photos and the bell burner on it was missing the flame spreader. My memory is not as good as my photos. I stand corrected.

However, this means I have removed the dimple in the correct one and re-bent the legs to get it to sit tighter and on the top at a higher height and it works better now so that was fortuitous as I wouldn't have touched it if I thought it was the original. I guess the air gas mixing occurring at this slightly higher height is obviously not bad. Wonder why the dimple was needed as mine was off centre.

Radius 42 - With Case.jpg
    Radius without flame spreader (both units acquired in 2015)

Here is the flame spreader I made.

Radius 42 (My fitting).JPG

Thanks

8. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

Turns out I made two but I didn't remember the second one, time flies, but I have now found my photo of the PAK-Cook when it arrived and obviously I made one for that too.

S - Pak Cook 123 Clone.JPG

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Ha! :thumbup:

Cheers

Tony