Pan-holder for large classic stoves.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by kerophile, Aug 28, 2009.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Large classic stoves, such as the 7-pint Primus No.3 are often missing their original pan-holders when acquired. These were made from cast-iron and often broke in use. Replacements are seriously expensive and fairly heavy.

This week in the UK, the Lidl stores are selling replacement pan-holders, labelled up as "Plant Pot Roller " for GBP 2.49 each. These have plastic wheels on then, which are easily removed, leaving a very usable trivet.

The trivets are heavy-gauge wire-work which has been chromium-plated.

Here are some photos of the new trivet fitted on my Primus No.3 stove.

I plan to wire mine onto the stove legs to make it even more secure:

1251465744-Primus-3_-Improvised-trivet.jpg 1251465783-Primus-3_-trivet-2.jpg 1251465810-Primus-3_-trivet-3.jpg

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Kerophile,

Any chance you could measure the diameter of your new pot rest? I've been looking for something just like that for my 625 pot stand as shown in this post .

I've come across some cake cooling racks but they are very flimsy and wouldn't take the weight of a large full pot without bending, especially once up to heat.

Your contraption looks like it might be ideal if the correct size. Any idea of the construction vis a vis regular heating. Stainless steel or plated somehow?

Cheers, Graham.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. kerophile

Hi Graham, the pot rest is approx 330mm diameter.
    I believe it to be constucted of Cr-plated mild-steel, and the load capacity of the plant stand (probably dictated by the 3 plastic rollers) is 50kg.

It exactly matches the maximum diameter described by the top of the legs of a Pr.3 stove.

The nuts to which the plastic rollers were attached are shown on the trivet in the photos, and you could probably get some threaded rod and make yourself a tripod stand very easily.

All this for only £2.49!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. Heavenly Fiddler

Nice fit there.

What I would do to secure the pan-holder to the legs would be to cut some strips off a piece of sheet steel. Then bend the strips into C shaped clips with a flange for the opening to make it easy to clip things together. One such clip might be all that would be necessary for easy going cooking. Three would probably be near bomb proof.

5. Henry

Nice one George.

You could always screw some wheels to it and use it to move heavy plant pots about ;)

6. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi George, Thanks for the info. I'll need to measure up.

Henry, I think your suggestion is ridiculous. Why would anyone want to move heavy plant pots around on a stove?

Cheers, Graham.

7. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi George

Thanks for the heads-up on this.
    I will be visiting Lidl tomorrow. :D :D

8. kerophile

Hi Graham, I look forward to seeing what trivet size you need for the Phoebus 625 Military outfit.
    Check out this post for a 200mm diameter trivet option:

https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/81824

Hi Trevor good luck on your shopping expedition.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

9. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Thanks Kerophile

They sit beautifully on this Primus No 8 ( W24 - 1932 )

Primus_No_8_001.jpg

10. Rick b

11. kerophile

Hi Rick, I was thinking about this earlier. I reckon that If I use two of these trivets, one as a base-plate, the other as a pan-ring, joined together with threaded rods, I will have a sturdy tripod support. It would also be collapsible for storage!

I will check the measurements tomorrow.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

12. Rick b

Hi Kerophile, I didnt think of a 2nd one for the base. It would defiantly give it support.

13. nagant

good eye Kero! i'd love to get ahold of two of those. that would be great for a two pint stove when boiling big pots of water or anything heavy . would take the stress off the stove.

14. hydro451

Geroge, those wheels are always spinning ;) - wonderful find and they seem to fit perfect, very clever indeed

Tom

15. kerophile

Hi, doesn't time fly!
    Way back in 2009 I posted:

"Hi Rick, I was thinking about this earlier. I reckon that If I use two of these trivets, one as a base-plate, the other as a pan-ring, joined together with threaded rods, I will have a sturdy tripod support. It would also be collapsible for storage.
    I will check the measurements tomorrow."

Well, I never got around to it until this morning, but once I had the measurements I bought a meter length of 8mm diameter threaded rod, cut it into three equal lengths, and made up the pan holder for BIG classic stoves. Here are some photos:

Big-pan-Holder-1.jpg

Here is the three-legged pan-holder assembled around a British Monitor No.78 Heavy Duty Stove.
    This stove has a capacity of 7 Imperial pints and was often sold without fixed legs as it had a number of applications where it was used in other equipment or assemblies.

This one was part of an Army mobile surgical hospital sterilizer unit. I have it fitted with an Indian LibertyNo.3 roarer burner, rated at a max output of 10Kw, or approx. 34000 BTU/h.

Big-pan-Holder-2.jpg

This top view show you the top pan holder centered over the burner unit.

Big-pan-Holder-3.jpg

Here you can see how the threaded rod is secured between the nuts welded to the pan-rings.

Big-pan-Holder-4.jpg

To give you some idea of the scale of this stove and its pan-holder, I show it alongside a rather nice Radius No.17, 1.75 pint capacity discus stove which I am working on at present.

Big-pan-Holder-5.jpg Big-pan-Holder-6.jpg

Another couple of close-ups, with and without the burner wind-shield.

Big-pan-Holder-7.jpg

Finally, showing the pan I use for boiling crabs and lobsters, mounted on the pan holder of this stove.

Better late then never, I guess.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016