paraffine stove roarer burner yellow flame ?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by MARC PRESCHIA, Nov 26, 2020.

1. MARC PRESCHIA Belgium

Hello everybody,

I make the restoration of an old paraffine stove. The burner being damaged, I bought a new roarer burner in England and put it on. It's working perfectly, but a very strange yellow flame appears on the side. Is it normal or is it the sign of a little hole in the burner where the liquid paraffine is passing through ???

Attached Files:

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @MARC PRESCHIA It does look as if a extra amount of vaporised kerosene is coming out in that quadrant of the burner.
    The burner is a PRIMAS , made I believe in India. The quality can be variable.....

1. First check is to look closely at the jet aperture to ensure no partial blockage, or poorly finished aperture. Try a jet pricker to clean the hole. If the hole is offset or rough, tell us and we will give instructions for repair.

2. Second check should be to see if the jet is properly seated and tight in the burner, as a leak past the threads of this connection can cause this effect. You can put some copper grease on the threads to help achieve a seal. If that doesn’t work try some PTFE tape.

3. If the above checks do not reveal the cause of the side flame, look closely at the burner to see if there is a leak from one if the vaporiser tubes or brazed joints.

You can of course ask the seller for your money back if you cannot correct the fault.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. MARC PRESCHIA Belgium

Hello Kerophile , thanks for your reply. I took a look at the jet aperture and I cleaned it with a pricker. For me the problem does not come from this side. On the other hand I dont think it's a bad tight of the burner on the basement because when I mounted it, it was not tight enough and I had a yellow flame just above the thread. So I thightened it again and the flame disappeared. I fear that it's a micro hole somewhere in the vaporized tubes. So I sent a mail to julliands (where I bought the burner) to have their reaction and I will advise when I ll have a reply
    Best regards