Parasafe

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by Bom Bom Bom Bom, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but as the main distribution appears to be South Africa, and there is a category for SA in the gallery, here is as good a place as any.

Paraffin pressure stoves are still used extensively throughout Africa and the Far East. There are many accidents every year resulting in death and serious burns from the use of these stoves in dwellings that are highly flamable.

There was an initative to find a safer stove and this is the result. Here's three views of the box sides (the fourth side is the same as one of the others):

1237293943-P3140001_opt.jpg 1237293953-P3140002_opt.jpg 1237293963-P3140003_opt.jpg

Here's the stove:

1237294185-P3140004_opt.jpg 1237293987-P3140006_opt.jpg 1237294116-P3140007_opt.jpg

Here's the unconventional pump and pressure release. The point of the pump is that it can be used whilst a pot is on the stove without any risk of the pot becoming dislodged and distributing it's hot contents as might be the case with a conventional pump rod arrangement.

1237294025-P3140009_opt.jpg

There are no loose parts associated with the stove (even the flame ring needs to be levered off with a screwdriver). Here is the filler, which is sealed by a nitrile washer and a sturdy clip arrangement. In this shot I've removed the nitrile washer and rested it on the wrong side of the clip for illustration purposed. I fastened it back into the correct position afterwards.

1237294016-P3140008_opt.jpg

Each of the three feet contain a valve arrangement. If the stove is either lifted or tipped, even 5 degrees, the weight is taken off one of the feet and this releases all the pressure in the stove and the flame is extinguished immediately meaning there is little chance of starting an accidental fire. These pictures show the feet and covering cap dismantled:

1237294033-P3140010_opt.jpg 1237294041-P3140011_opt.jpg

The stove tank appears to be a two part construction that is not soldered together. Unfortunately the nut and bolt on the securing band is deliberately covered in a solid glue to prevent dismantling the stove. I haven't had time to work my way past this particular feature but will do so at some point in the future. I hope that dismantling it into it's two halves will reveal the feet valve arrangement in more detail. This shot attempts to show the construction and the feet fully assembled.

1237294055-P3140012_opt.jpg

Despite the fact I acquired this stove in a never fired condition, it is so radically different I just had to try it:

1237294064-P3140013_opt.jpg 1237294073-P3140016_opt.jpg

It works very well with a strong and controllable flame. The pump is quite effective and whilst bulky requires significantly less effort to use than a conventional pump.

I also tried the tip test and pressure released from the raised foot immediatley. If I had deliberately knocked it all the way over I am in no doubt that the flame would be out before the business end touched the work surface.

I found a link to the company supplying the stove that provides further details:

Promethea

Paraffin pressure stove innovations continue apace, and the world will is a better place for it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi Graham
    i saw that or one like it on the bay about a week or two ago but never took it seriously :oops: oh well my mistake,
    after reading your opinion i'll keep my eye out for one in the future,the heater attachment on their website looks interesting have you any plans on getting one of those ?

3. Bom Bom Bom Bom

I wouldn't mind one or two of the heater attachments, but I don't need 48 of them, which appears to be the minimum order!

4. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

:lol: :lol: not a good marketing strategy,
    i wonder how many people in South Africa need 48 heaters in one hit

5. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Promethea are the distributer. They will sell to retailers rather than directly to the end consumer. I think it's bigger than just South Africa so Promethea will be shipping out consignments to other countries as well.

6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I notice their site links to PASASA - we also carry a link to them. The issue of stove safety is taken very seriously in South Africa. We had a fair bit of contact with the PASASA people in the erly days of the site.

Interesting stove. Good to see the innovations. The pump however is going back to the early days!

7. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Looks like a squeeze bulb from an outboard motor :shock:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. redspeedster

redspeedster Subscriber

Hi
    Having seen some of the townships close to Capetown first hand. I think a fire would be very unwelcome, spreading very quickly and causing a lot of harm.
    No wonder safer stoves are an issue.
    Can anyone remember the FSP stove, I assume this stove stems from the same campaign.

9. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Here you go

No pump used to supply the fuel, just raise the fuel bottle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  10. dspearsy2k

dspearsy2k United States Subscriber

Quite the international effort. Company is in western Pacific, made in Vietnam, sold in S. Africa. Completely out of stamped cad. plated steel. Can't help but think the Swedes let one get away.

11. Andrew61

It is a good idea, a safe, easy to use stove with very well written safety instructions for users many many of whom will probably be functionally illiterate.
    Andrew

12. redspeedster

redspeedster Subscriber

Hi
    I wonder if the plans are available for the FSP stove, we could have an FSP stove building challenge for Newark.
    Website says it should be possible in remote workshops. :lol:

13. hikin_jim

Both the FSP and the Parasafe brand stove are fascinating. What to us is a nostalgic item to collect is to many a basic necessity. It's good to see that advances are being made. It's amazing that the FSP stove claims that it can be made for $3.50. I assume that's US Dollars since the South African currency is the Rand. $3.50 US is about 30 Rand. The estimate is from 2004. $3.50 US in 2004 is about $4.00 in 2009, an amazingly low cost.