Parrafin in Morrocco

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by hans_4, Apr 9, 2019.

1. hans_4

Hi everyone, I am currently in Morocco, camping with my car. I took my trusty optimus no5 with me but due to a leaking container I lost allmost all my parrafin. I can't seem to find it here. Any Moroccan members who got an idea? I am near essaouira at the moment. Or maybe some tips on alternative fuels?
    thanks

2. Lennart F Norway

The name seems to be Petróleo or Keroseno in spanish and Pétrole in french - there was a significant export of paraffin stoves to the area in old days so the fuel "should":-k be available.

3. Afterburner

Google translator gives كيروسين for kerosene. It says that it is pronounced 'kayrusin'.

I would go with stove to see some senior person(maybe he/she remembers that type stoves from old days) at fuel selling place and point to tank inlet with finger. Maybe they would guess what is needed.

4. hans_4

Than you for the answers, i tried some different shops and gas stations but they all try to sell me diesel or a new gas stove.
    Everyone here seems to be using the same type of gas stove so if I don't find paraffin i can allways buy one but i woud prefer not to. Could I use diesel as a fuel?

5. Lennart F Norway

Some burners in that style are used for diesel - it could work but I'm not sure.
    Diesel need more heat to evaporate so you have to preheat more and the fuel should be as clean and clear as possible. You can't use diesel to preheat at low temperatures(I've tested) but gasoline is useable for preheat if you run out of spirit.
    And make sure to keep away from anything combustible at first test as it could be like a flamethrower if the burner doesn't like the fuel. A mix of paraffin(or something like that) and diesel is likely to work but I have no possibility to test before the weekend - I have thought about testing in Primus 1, 5 and 97 and Radius 21 but never did it yet.

6. Afterburner

Generally diesel is too low quality fuel (=too high boiling point) for classic stoves. It can be used with 'new stoves' like Primus Omnifuel and Optimus Nova & Optifuel. Still on those 'new stoves' it is kind of last change fuel.

Petrol/gasoline has a bit too low boiling point for classic stoves ie. it burns too well. Also there might be pressure build in tank up due to heat reflected and conducted from burner to tank.

If I would only have diesel and petrol/gasoline available and would need to use them I would mix them to get fuel that (hopefully) works. Maybe 70-80% diesel and 20-30% petrol/gasoline should burn ok and it is not un-safe because of too good burning properties. If that mix is not burning well I would add more petrol/gasoline to the mix. That mix I would only use outdoors since engine fuels always contain additives that are not good for breathing/human health.

7. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

While it is not useful for Hans at the moment, I think an ideal travelling stove would be one of the Coleman Dual Fuel / Unleaded types. You should pack a spare generator but you can be sure of finding fuel virtually anywhere. Maybe not glamorous but they are simple and reliable.

8. Simes

Simes Subscriber

I've trialled run an Opt 00 on UK diesel without problems, but your local quality may vary I suspect. As said the additives are the stumbling block if used in an enclosed space. If problems some petrol added in increasing amounts, start at say 10% and see how you get on.

9. hans_4

Thank you for all the answers. I got a moroccan gas stove as a present from my friendly camping neighbours so i will start using this when my paraffin runs out. I suspect the local diesel is not very clean.

10. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I'd try afterburner's suggestion: a diesel/gasoline mix, heavier on the diesel.

11. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Looks like there's an airport near Essaouira. You might see if you can get Jet A there.

12. Afterburner

I have never tried a classic stove with a diesel. Omnifuel worked quite fine with diesel at summer temperatures when I tested it several years ago.

Just for fun I'll test classic stove with diesel & diesel+gasoline mix when summer comes and I can play with stoves at outdoors.

13. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Diesel will be less than ideal; but in a pinch it might have to do; it will burn with enough pre-heat.