Parts for SVEA 123

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Vacek, Jan 21, 2016.

1. oztayls

@Tony Press
    Or just kept turning the key with a lot of force. Once the spindle is seated and can't drive any further, away come the threads. There is a burr on the spindle which indicates to me that is what has happened, and hence why it ended up in a second hand shop. :(

By the way, I saw your very nice tutorial, thank you! https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/svea-123-disassembly.33679/

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @oztayls

I'll keep my eyes open for a replacement burner for you.

Cheers

Tony

3. oztayls

Thanks, I found one on evilBay, so have put in a bid. Comes with a free tank haha. Finishes in a few hours so will see how that goes [-o<

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I do not recall seeing a 'tube' wrapped around a wick.

5. oztayls

Here it is in @Tony Press tutorial. It sticks out of the bottom of the vaporiser and snugs down the wick. It is just a firm push fit.
    img_9350-jpg.159678

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Oh, that. I never pulled one out.
    Ha

7. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

that push fit wick holder is a clever safety feature built in to the stove - it is intended to drop out if the stove gets seriously overheated - that reduces the pressure in the tank by allowing liquid fuel to escape more easily, it does mean that burning liquid fuel will squirt out of the jet but better that than a burst fuel tank
    the above may have been unreliable in use so on the r version the wick holder is a loose fit held in with soft solder - again if the stove overheats because of over priming the solder melts and a potential explosion is hopefully averted.
    i found a 123r at a car boot sale that had the characteristic 'rattle' of a loose wick holder i fished it out of the tank and sure enough the solder had been melted like a fuse, which in a sense it is and one of the 'layers' of safety built in to the stove.
    despite the above there are still stories of the swedish hand grenade and the bouncing bomb ect i would like to know the facts behind them

8. oztayls

Arn't these stoves supposed to push 40PSI? In which case that wick holder is getting pushed into the vaporiser so hard it has no chance of falling out while it's running. Lots of rumours, but I haven't come across a single verified story of a Svea 123 ever blowing up. I'm pretty sure they would've been pulled from the market if it were true. Only stories of them venting, which could be quite an exciting occurrence to witness!

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

@Rickybob
    If you say the tube drops if you prime the stove too hot, how hot do you think it gets when the stove is going full blast? And if the wick/tube did drop, then air would release, not liquid. There would not be a tube for the liquid to climb. And bomb references are urban legend.

10. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

depends on how much fuel was put in in the first place - i had it drilled in to me years ago that tipping the tank when filling to increase the run time is a bad idea - the filler tube is designed to limit the fuel that can enter the tank leaving room for the liquid fuel to expand - but the stove should be on a level surface when filling
    burning fuel on the outside of the tank will raise the tank and fuel temperature far higher than normal thermal feedback from the burner via the riser and gasoline has a much higher thermal expansivity than water hence the need for space for the liquid fuel to expand
    i was also told to give the safety pressure release a prod with a matchstick now and again to make sure it was not stuck
    but worst case scenario if the stove is overfilled and overprimed and the safety valve sticks or is overwhelmed then the dished base of the stove will belly out to accommodate the expanding liquid fuel as hydraulic pressure cannot be resisted or contained like vapour pressure, this is the last ditch safety measure designed in to prevent the tank from bursting or splitting
    i suspect that accounts of stoves exploding may apply to earlier types of stove and the svea was designed with hindsight to be as safe as possible and i have recently begun to appreciate just how well designed the 123 is
    i am also inclined to the notion that any stove could explode in the right circumstances - but it is a cinderella type event where numerous factors have to be 'just right' for it to happen and 99.9% of the time it won't
    i have the aformentioned example of a 123r with the detached wick holder and the bellied out base - i will try to post pictures tomorrow - also i would be delighted to post that stove at my expense to any experienced stove dude who might want to examine it and postulate on how it came to be in that condition, if in return they post their findings on this august website

11. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Really?
    I can hold my Svea 123 after even the longest prime.
    I can barely touch it when I have it going really good.

12. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

when you have it going really good it is no longer full of fuel, is it.
    time to pull my head out of my ass and admit i am wrong!

it is not a cinderella event it should be goldilocks event, she with the bears and the porridge

13. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

porridge on a 123 Mmmm

14. Joegunman

Hi All; I have what appears to be Taiwanese copy of the 123 stove. The only marking I can find is "Taiwan" on the bottom of the tank. It is missing the cup and turn key (at least). Will real Svea 123 parts fit, and is there a source for such. Any help will be appreciated!
    Joe

Attached Files:

15. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hey Joe, Thanks for posting.
    That is a very interesting example (if you are 100% certain the only marking is TAIWAN on the bottom).
    An unmarked copy (no markings) of Svea 123 has come up in discussion.
    The thought was the source was Asian, remained a mystery <-- as I recall.
    I don't think the 123 parts (vs 123R), I don't think the 123 parts/stove manufacture was ever outsourced to Asia, so....
    I can only guess. My guess would be that Swedish Svea 123 parts & rebuild parts will not be exact 1 to 1 replacement for Asian copy. Replacement parts may or may not work.

What country/region are you from if you don't mind me asking?
    tag @Joegunman

16. Joegunman

Yes, that's the only marking. I am in Bkfd, CA. I would like to get with someone with more knowledge (and maybe some parts) to try and get this thing up and running, if you know of anyone interested.
    Thanks,
    Joe

17. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Bkfd? Bakersfield? Would help to spell it out for a continental and international membership.

Welcome to CCS. Info will doubtless be forthcoming...

18. Joegunman

Thanks, Ed. Yes, Bakersfield, CA

19. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

20. Joegunman

I was there. No one with knowledge about these.
    Thanks