patatwin's Optimus 8

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by patatwin, Jun 1, 2015.

1. patatwin

Hi all !
    After be late on an early 111, I found a 8, for a good price.
    I'm trying to date it, though it isn't my top priority.
    It seems in good condition, just some surface rust on the casing.
    It needs a cleaning job, the nipple is clogged, and the burner assy, heat shield and inner casing are covered by a black coat. Seems it ran on leaded car gasoline... Maybe the caution (in German : nur für benzin) engraved on the tank (a German market special ?)
    The wick is rotten, and broke flush to the burner tappered thread. I guess it will be nice to remove !
    Some moldy dots make me think it has been stowed for a very long time in a wet room.

2. patatwin

Some pictures.
    Of course, your opinions are welcome !

1433189878-2015-06-01-1865.jpg 1433189912-2015-06-01-1866-1.jpg 1433189936-2015-06-01-1861-1.jpg 1433189964-2015-06-01-1857-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Nice. I love the 8's.
    My first 8 came from France.

Ken in NC

4. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

:thumbup: Love those old 8's. Probably late 30's to mid 40's based on tin design and SRV. It should perform just fine with a tune up and new seals :content:

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I need to study the Stove Reference Gallery to try to date more of mine.
    Duane

6. snwcmpr

Yeah, me too. I thought they were older than th 30's, but the catalogs verify what m-trout said.
    Ken in NC

7. Mikko S

I have one with the "nur für benzin" tank. I think there is only one in the gallery, so I have been going to add mine one day.

8. patatwin

It works !
    I have to learn about priming, but it lit.
    I haven't got hair on my right hand anymore !
    I had yellow flames, and blue some time after.
    Now I have to fettle it, th flame doesn't change, whatever how the spindle is turned...
    I'll do some more tests tomorrow, maybe the new wick (thanks a lot for the mop head trick !) will be soaked as it should be...

9. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

With the tiny priming cup, you may have needed to recharge the priming fuel to build pressure, provided too, that you weren't loosing pressure. I place half a Tilley butterfly priming clip between the burner and tank to get the tank pressure built. They won't run well without a good priming to build pressure.
    Duane

10. patatwin

I haven't changed my filler cap seal yet, I'm waiting for it, I'll retry when done...
    A photo of yesterday's test :
    1433486123-2015-06-04-1872-1.jpg
    My daughter was as wondered as me seeing it running, I admit !

11. patatwin

1433491744-2015-06-05-1873.jpg 1433491764-2015-06-05-1874.jpg

12. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Very neat tank, none of my old ones are like that. It does look like the flame is a little weak, but hard to tell in the pic. Check for leaks in the caps SRV valve. I place the tank in the freezer with the cap a little loose, when cold, remove from the freezer, tighten the cap good and place in a sink or tub of hot water, noting any bubbles.
    Duane

13. 1966dave

Hmmmmm. Me thinks I know what stove just jumped to the top of Duanes must have list!. That is a sweet looker though...(its on my list too) :whistle: :whistle:

14. snwcmpr

Is that something for a certain market? Like just the German market , or German military maybe?
    I looked at the 3 No 8s I have and 2 are nickel plated and one says "nur für benzin" on the tank.

Ken in NC

15. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Dave, I think I have most of the old 8's, just don't have one with the inscription on the tank. Over at CCF, Andy asked me to put together something on mine. I don't have a chrome/nickel cased one nor the one with the re-enforced holes the grates insert into.
    Duane

16. snwcmpr

Clarify, my brass is nickel plated on those 2, not the cases.

Ken in NC

17. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

In the Stove Ref., it shows the chrome/nickel cased stoves and even an aluminum one I believe. Most/many of my 8's have the nickel tank.
    Duane

18. snwcmpr

Thanks Duane.

19. patatwin

hikerduane quote "Very neat tank"

Thank you, this result is not all due to my work, to be honest...

After spending some hours with steel wool and Mirror copper cream, with a good result, I tried ultrasonic bath, with cleaning spirit (I don't know what is it, I just know the bottle says "cleaning spirit, fast drying, NATO XS-841").

I cleaned all parts of the stove like that, 10 minutes each part, and the result is far better than I was waiting for, I agree !

I hust wanted to clean the fuel line, including the tank, from soot and old fuel.

I think i'll let the casing in this shape, I don't want to de-assemble the hinges, and I'm not sur to achieve the mounting, without problems...

Another thing, I just discovered the prickers were engraved "Primus". I'm not sure they were supplied with the stove.

20. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

For me personally, if it isn't a real professional paint job, leave it as is, it will be worth more. Unless the case is badly rusted, then you want to save it from further decay by repainting it. I have a few I repainted and my big brothers 22, 22B needed to be repainted.
    Duane